n_deep_jen

friend's problem

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My friend and her fiance got married in the Philippines and after that they filed a k3 visa.When her visa interview was approaching,she found out that her hubby has another woman from europe and told her that they will get married in europe so my friend canceled it.Do you think they can legally marry in europe even if the guy got first married to my friend in the Philippines?Do you think the guy can bring the new girl in the US?Is the marriage in the Philippines not valid in the US even if it was legal?I really felt pity for my friend.Does she need to report their marriage in the US government?Can she ask financial support form her husband even if they are not together?her hubby said they will file separation...Her hubby's reason said that his parents doesn't like her.But i don't think it's correct to divorce her for that simple reason..what's the best thing to do?I need legal advice regarding this issue too..hope i can hear something for u guys..thanks...

hello,

just curious why she cancel her interview she dont have to she had the right because she is the first wife and all the papers are complete and the evidence and if the husband say they file separation she better go for annulment because seperation can't marry again because divorce is not legal in philippines. am so sorry to hear about what happen to your friend.. and she better consult a lawyer about her situation and give a legal advise and guidlines on what she better do.. she had to fight for what she have dont let her be a victim .

hope it helps

god bless

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Forgive me, but if your friend's husband filed a petition for a K-3 for her, doesn't the US government already know he's married to a woman in the Philippines? He cannot simply forget about this marriage and marry another girl.

I agree, it is probably a good idea to contact a lawyer to figure this out.

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My friend and her fiance got married in the Philippines and after that they filed a k3 visa.When her visa interview was approaching,she found out that her hubby has another woman from europe and told her that they will get married in europe so my friend canceled it.Do you think they can legally marry in europe even if the guy got first married to my friend in the Philippines?Do you think the guy can bring the new girl in the US?Is the marriage in the Philippines not valid in the US even if it was legal?I really felt pity for my friend.Does she need to report their marriage in the US government?Can she ask financial support form her husband even if they are not together?her hubby said they will file separation...Her hubby's reason said that his parents doesn't like her.But i don't think it's correct to divorce her for that simple reason..what's the best thing to do?I need legal advice regarding this issue too..hope i can hear something for u guys..thanks...

First, no "legal advice" is available here. However, there is nothing your friend can do to control the behavior of her husband. They will either work out their relationship and stay together or they won't. In most US States, a person can divorce their spouse for no more reason than the "want to". Right and wrong are not factors in such matters. Newlyweds are generally not entitled to any spousal support in a divorce.

If the marriage is over, the best outcome for your friend is for her husband to secure a divorce at his expense, so she doesn't have to go through an annulment process in the PI.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

The USC can file for a divorce in the US and it will be legal for him to remarry. Unfortunately, for the filipina she will still be married under Philippine laws as they do not recognize a US divorce. It will be a long and costly process for her to get an annulment. Contacting a lawyer/lawyers is strongly suggested.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

that's too bad. I dont see how his parents would have even been able to make a decision on if they like her or not yet. Has he not been supporting her? He is legally married even in the US. He wont be able to apply for another visa and get it approved unless he divorces her first and has the decree. I know in some states one party can file for divorce and they just have to make an attempt to serve their partner. IF they show proof that they tried to serve the papers or the other one doesnt reply, they will have a hearing after 30 days and then the person filing will get all the terms they wanted in the divorce.

She does need to seek legal advice. She could be awarded support, but highly unlikely since they probably werent married long enough. She should have gone through the interview at least. It is amazing what some people do to others in this world!

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

The USC can file for a divorce in the US and it will be legal for him to remarry. Unfortunately, for the filipina she will still be married under Philippine laws as they do not recognize a US divorce. It will be a long and costly process for her to get an annulment. Contacting a lawyer/lawyers is strongly suggested.

I dont think that is entirely true. If the USC files for divorce it is recognized as a divorce by the philippines.....if she filed, then it would not. that is what i have gotten from reading online.

For our Full timeline

event.png

Removal of conditions Journey

16 March 2012 Sent I-751 package from Aviano AB, Italy.

29 March 2012 Received everything back...wrong fee. thought we didn't have to pay biometrics since we were sending fingerprint cards and passport photos.

30 March 2012 Sent everything out again from Aviano AB, Italy.

10 April 2012 Check cashed

17 April 2012 Received NOA1 dated 6 April.

06 Dec 2012 Received 10 yr green card. Letter said it was approved 28 November 2012.

Timeline

I dont think that is entirely true. If the USC files for divorce it is recognized as a divorce by the philippines.....if she filed, then it would not. that is what i have gotten from reading online.

That is correct. The Philippines DOES recognize a divorce obtained outside the PI.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

That is correct. The Philippines DOES recognize a divorce obtained outside the PI.

Only if the petitioner initiates the divorce. It's not legal for the filipino to do so.

Sort of tricky. Philippine government doesn't allow filipinos to divorce but consider they didn't divorce if the filipino citizen didn't initiate the divorce. :bonk:

I "think" the "divorce" has to be registered at a Philippine consulate in the US. The record of such is then transfered to NSO in PI. I'm not sure of the exact logistics.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

WHY WOULD SHE WANT HIM AFTER SOMETHING LIKE THIS ANYWAY!!! BE DONE WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

:thumbs:

Timeline

WHY WOULD SHE WANT HIM AFTER SOMETHING LIKE THIS ANYWAY!!! BE DONE WITH IT AND MOVE ON!!!

:thumbs:

Fair enough but "being done with" a husband is not so simple for a Filipina. Him divorcing her simplifies things considerably.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

wikipedia is not considered a good source, but I did not take the time to search the phil website:

For example, if a legally married Filipino citizen obtains a divorce outside of the Philippines, that divorce would not be recognized inside the Philippines. If that person (now unmarried outside of the Philippines) then remarries outside of the Philippines, he or she could arguably be considered in the Philippines as having committed the crime of Bigamy under Philippine Laws]. The above complications will not arise if the legally married Filipino citizen obtains foreign citizenship first, then secures a foreign divorce decree.

Naturalization

3/23/14 - N400 package sent to Phoenix

3/27/14 - N400 package delivered

4/3/14 - NOA1 receipt date

4/4/14 - check cashed

04/29/14 - biometrics date

07/01/14 - interview date

xx/xx/xx - Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.