Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Do you have a license from Jamaica? I am not sure if it varies from state to state but there are time limits, usually 6 to 12 month that you can legally drive on it.

It must be that no one in their right mind comes to Vermont (except me, go figure). It always appears to me that the person I am in front of has never seen a foreigner in all their lives and has no idea what to do with my situation. I may as well have landed from Mars. No one seems to know if I can drive on a foreign license here.

It is frustrating and I am not the foreigner. Just hang in there. I am going to check for you.

WE ARE DONE!!!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a license from Jamaica? I am not sure if it varies from state to state but there are time limits, usually 6 to 12 month that you can legally drive on it.

It must be that no one in their right mind comes to Vermont (except me, go figure). It always appears to me that the person I am in front of has never seen a foreigner in all their lives and has no idea what to do with my situation. I may as well have landed from Mars. No one seems to know if I can drive on a foreign license here.

http://www.aot.state.vt.us/dmv/documents/M...istJuly2006.pdf

Which states that you need a copy of your i-94

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

I entered the U.S. with a valid visa, but I did not return to my home country when I was supposed to. Now that I am married to a U.S. citizen, can I obtain a driver's license?

The fact that a noncitizen marries a U.S. citizen is not enough to qualify the noncitizen for a driver's license. However, if the noncitizen entered legally and his/ her U.S. citizen spouse filed for adjustment of status and work authorization based on the marriage, then the noncitizen spouse should be able to get work authorization. When the noncitizen receives his or her temporary work authorization, called the EAD which is usually valid for 1 year at first, then the noncitizen can take this EAD card to the social security office to get a social security card and to the local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to obtain a driver's license.

http://www.humanrightsattorney.com/sub/ind...OBh3R4Hsgrx9FUq

Naturalization

Son's N-400 Timeline

08/14/2020 - Sent N-400 and I-912 waiver to TX lockbox

09/18/2020 - NOA via text

06/05/2021 - Notification of biometrics scheduled

09/17/2021 - Interview - decision cannot be made

11/24/2021 - Denial letter, 30 days to appeal

12/24/2021 - Appeal sent back with I-912 waiver

12/24/2021 - Motion to terminate deportation proceedings from 2013 filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for doing the research ladies. i already read that web page. Quote from DMV employee (after consulting with his supervisor):

"We have nothing to do with that website. We only follow the instructions we were given."

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

Timeline

Thanks for doing the research ladies. i already read that web page. Quote from DMV employee (after consulting with his supervisor):

"We have nothing to do with that website. We only follow the instructions we were given."

After searching for 20 minutes I found where you can drive on your Jamaican license for 180 days.

By law you can drive for 6 months. Screw them for now.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Filed: Other Timeline
So I'm here trying to get my 3 month year old niece to go to bed. Then my cell phone went off b/c I recv'd a message to check my hotmail acct. I first didn't move but when I looked at my phone it said CRIS...I talking screaming and my sister first asked me what was wrong. I said I just got approved. She was like "hold on" first check the email so I did. I gave her the baby and rushed over and guess what............................

*** DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS E-MAIL ***

The last processing action taken on your case

Receipt Number: WAC07xxxxxxxx

Application Type: I130 , IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN

Current Status: Approval notice sent.

On April 3, 2007, we mailed you a notice that we have approved this I130

IMMIGRANT PETITION FOR RELATIVE, FIANCE(E), OR ORPHAN. Please follow any

instructions on the notice. If you move before you receive the notice, call

customer service.

If you have questions or concerns about your application or the case status

results listed above, or if you have not received a decision from USCIS within

the current processing time listed*, please contact USCIS Customer Service at

(800) 375-5283.

*Current processing times can be found on the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov

under Case Status & Processing Dates.

*** Please do not respond to this e-mail message.

Sincerely,

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

:dance::dance::dance::dance::yes:

I have the biggest Kool Aid smile on my face! Congrats girlie!!

Ditto....I got those tinglely things that come over your body when your overcomed with joy :dance::jest::idea::dancing: Okay...now what dose that mean again?

4457325_bodyshot_175x233.gif 4489327_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Cases complete!Enjoying life!!

PM me if you have questions

My hubby, we live in Missouri, was able to get a DL with the I94, and his passport, but it expired with the I94 meaning it was only good for 90 days. They did not give us the actual license at the time, it was sent to Jefferson city for approval, but by the time they recieved the information, the 90 days was up so they sent us a letter stateing they would need up dated info from the USCIS to issue us the license. Well the DMV had given us a temporay paper one that did not expire for a year to use while awaiting of the one to come in the mail, what sense did that make? so he drove on this until it expired a last month. Now he has to take the test all over again. :(

My hubby, we live in Missouri, was able to get a DL with the I94, and his passport, but it expired with the I94 meaning it was only good for 90 days. They did not give us the actual license at the time, it was sent to Jefferson city for approval, but by the time they recieved the information, the 90 days was up so they sent us a letter stateing they would need up dated info from the USCIS to issue us the license. Well the DMV had given us a temporay paper one that did not expire for a year to use while awaiting of the one to come in the mail, what sense did that make? so he drove on this until it expired a last month. Now he has to take the test all over again. :(

Same thing with the Mo state ID it expired when the I-94 expired, this we didn't realize until told when tring to cash a check, I never thought to look at it.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You lucked out. We have had many more issues in St. Louis. Maybe it's one of those flip the coin deals and depends on who you get that day.

Same thing with the Mo state ID it expired when the I-94 expired, this we didn't realize until told when tring to cash a check, I never thought to look at it.

Again, they would not give us Andre's till he had the green card and social security card. Flip of the coin.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline

I guess we are lucky here in Massachusetts. Bert got his license. Maybe they screwed up but who cares at this point. It is good for 4 years.

I really get upset when they try to take advantage of someone who does not know the system.

WE ARE DONE!!!

All in all, Roy is a pretty good driver -- it's all me. I am a horrible "back seat driver." I am the one who ALWAYS drives -- I just feel safer that way. It doesn't matter to me who I am with -- I will be afraid.....I am so nervous when he is driving I think I make him more nervous.

Tony is a speed demon. He already got one ticket for speeding :angry: I'm always telling him to slow down. The guys he works with call him Mario Andretti (Nascar race car driver :o )He drives me crazy. He hates all the rules we have here.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Ok Guys..

After getting some new inspiration from all of you (thanks my VJ sisters) I called another branch in Montpelier and told the underling who answered the phone that I needed to speak to a supervisor.

She acknowledged that their website is correct and that all I needed was my I-797 (NOA2), passport, marriage certificate and a piece of mail to show my current address. With that I can get a permit and also a non-drivers photo ID in my new married name. Unfortunately, I can only drive on a Jamaican license for 60 days and I have been here for over 3 months. I will be going back to my own DMV and I will be quoting this supervisors name and I will not be leaving the building until I get some results - or until security removes me bodily.

Come to think of it..this process is not unlike trying to get something done in Jamaica.

From a little cottage in Negril all the way to Vermont.[br].png

I think its an interesting twist though for you to get him an apartment. That could be a good and bad thing. Since he is coming to the US on a K1 you ma y want to use this 90 day "trial" period to actually live with each other and see how that sort of interaction goes before you marry and file to adjust. Just my opinion though. You know what is best for u and your daughter. I hope all goes well when he arrives and you start a wonderful life together.

I agree. I have mixed feelings on the whole apartment idea. Won't he feel alone and isolated (even more) if he has to live by himself? He won't have any transportation to get around. He won't have a TV or computer or radio to pass the time - unless you get him a furnished apt. Plus like Marlita said, you want to make sure you can live together and get along and put up with each other! :blush: Not to mention the extra expense of having another rent to pay.

If you're doing this JUST for your parents sake, I wouldn't do it. They'll come around on their own in time. (Mine did and they were really, really against the whole thing) You need to do what's right for YOU.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Timeline
Ok Guys..

After getting some new inspiration from all of you (thanks my VJ sisters) I called another branch in Montpelier and told the underling who answered the phone that I needed to speak to a supervisor.

She acknowledged that their website is correct and that all I needed was my I-797 (NOA2), passport, marriage certificate and a piece of mail to show my current address. With that I can get a permit and also a non-drivers photo ID in my new married name. Unfortunately, I can only drive on a Jamaican license for 60 days and I have been here for over 3 months. I will be going back to my own DMV and I will be quoting this supervisors name and I will not be leaving the building until I get some results - or until security removes me bodily.

Come to think of it..this process is not unlike trying to get something done in Jamaica.

It pays to be persistant. Good luck. I am glad you kept on it.

WE ARE DONE!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.