Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
How is Damien????? (F)
Any advice as to how to break it to him. He now knows that I am "seeing" Evan, but I need to hurry and tell him of the plans of marriage, cause its obviously more serious than just some holiday romance.

I didn't tell my parents about Roy until he was already here a week :lol: Hey, i think it is funny!! My mother blew a gasket and my father refused to ever speak to me again. It took a few months before they would even acknowledge him (he got here in January) -- they, to this day, still don't know when or where I got married...

It wasn't until June when we went to San Diego to visit my sister. Once my sisters kids met Roy they fell in love with him -- my mother called and asked my sister how the kids "accepted" him -- my sister told my mom the truth and my mother actually said, "that was going to be our determining factor." HUH????? She was waiting to see how the kids felt about him -- since that trip, they have been absolutely wonderful to him -- still, we have NEVER been "out in public" with them....

He might be really mad and upset with you but he is your father and he loves you -- he will eventually get over it!!

My husband keeps calling the Hospital in MoBay to get a medical but he says its always busy and he can't get through. Is this typical? What is the best day to call? I am get nervous because are interview is a month away. :help: from anyone who went through MoBay Hospital?

I sent them an e:mail and scheduled his appointment for him. I have never heard of the phone being so busy -- does he have the right number?

Thanks Sonshyne and Mindy.

I emailed Dwain the number this morning. He had written it down wrong by one number. He called and they told him to call back at 3:30 this afternoon. I think I can finally sleep. It didn't dawn on me that is what had happen. I didn't go to bed until midnight last night worried. My body stresses out too much about things. Hopefully he will get an appointment this afternoon and I can rest easy.

Anna,

Thanks for the help on the taxes. I was stressing about finding a notary to sign it and thinking he would have to go all the way to Kingston. My dad's Secretary is a US notary and she is going to do it. Yippee no shipping the Passport to me. Now I need to file my extension. Who knew that you had to file taxes for your husband even if they did not live here at the time. No more stress for a month now until the interview.

She is going to notarize my taxes from 03-05 and my I-864 form anything else I need notarized? Thanks ladies.

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am too scared to let him drive so I don't know when he will get his license. He just said to me last night that he hasn't driven in a long time -- then I told him what happened to Damien and said he will NEVER be driving :lol: :lol: He didn't think it was funny.....:wacko:
When he got here, I nearly had heart failure every time he drove. We payed for one 2 hour lesson with a professional. Otherwise, I have taken him on non-busy streets during slow times. Every once in a while I will take him on a busy street (after making the sign of the cross!) We are going to practice some more parallel parking tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday and see how it goes on friday. I don't think he is ready yet; but maybe he will just prove me wrong.

He will probably prove you wrong!! :dance: :dance:

All in all, Roy is a pretty good driver -- it's all me. I am a horrible "back seat driver." I am the one who ALWAYS drives -- I just feel safer that way. It doesn't matter to me who I am with -- I will be afraid.....I am so nervous when he is driving I think I make him more nervous.

We paid for 5 hours of driving school.....that ended just before Christmas....I probably should have had him take his test for the license then. I PROMISE -- tonight I will let him drive himself to work (down the busy street!!!) Oy Vey :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Timeline
OMG...........never eating manish water again.........NEVER EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

SAME HERE!

They gave us that soup for our wedding yuk. We had the worst cater person ever never go with Miss Ann. I should of stuck to what my wedding corrinadtor said but my mother law said she was good and her cakes were good. YUK!!

I asked for pumpkin my favorite and they gave me manish soup. I was so hungry I ate it though cause I hadn't eatten all day but never again it was cold too ahahah. :devil::wacko::blink:

Of course they gave you manish water for your wedding......it is tradition. You fiance did not tell you that beforehand?

Yes I know it is a tradition but we didn't want that tradition. Dwain doesn't like soup very much and we asked for pumpkin because we both can't stand manish soup. Anyways Miss Anne got every food item we order wrong. Should of went with Carloyn our wedding coordinators pick. Plus she said that our cooks at the villa could of done the meal. The stinkin people who I rented out the villa said no they can't do that and Carloyn told me that they don't want the people in the villa to make to much money. How rude. If I hadn't hired Miss Ann before I hired Carloyn I would of stuck to here advice. The best food was the appetizers the cooks at the villas made. She told Miss Ann she didn't want her appetizers thank goodness. Okay I am just rambling.

The day after our wedding the cooks at the villa made me pumpkin soup :)!!

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

She is going to notarize my taxes from 03-05 and my I-864 form anything else I need notarized? Thanks ladies.

I don't think you need your taxes notarized.....for them to be (properly) notarized "she" would have had to be present when you signed your taxes for 2005. Notarizing them "after the fact" is a no-no.

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Timeline

I don't think you need your taxes notarized.....for them to be (properly) notarized "she" would have had to be present when you signed your taxes for 2005. Notarizing them "after the fact" is a no-no.

Okay thanks Mindy. Just wondering what I need notarized or anything.

Jax

xTr6m6.png

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I actually did have my previous tax returns notarized. I took them to a pharmacy in Mo Bay and the pharmacist notarized my signature. All I did was sign and date them, again, in a different spot and she notarized them. No problems with that.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
:yes: Hey, I hope all is well with everyone. I have a question...everyone keeps talking about their applications being "touched". How do you know this info? I was checking the status of my petition on USCIS website and just says "case received and pending". Do they let you know that they touched it? And what kind of touch are we talking about here? Are we talking about a "hey my pinky finger accidentally touched your file" or "hey, i actually looked over your file"? I guess no one here would know that info, now would they??? Forget that last question.

Just the financial stuff -- the I-864 -- that's it. I also had a letter from my friend notarized (just because I could) -- for the I-129. She was with me when I met Roy.....just for further substantiation. And the lady at the bank notarized my "bank letter."

A Notary is able to "swear you in" -- basically stating that what you are "signing" (or stating) is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth (blah, blah, blah). I think it's just another way for the Government to get money from you (the Notary) because you have to pay a "notary company" and The State for your certification.

I actually did have my previous tax returns notarized. I took them to a pharmacy in Mo Bay and the pharmacist notarized my signature. All I did was sign and date them, again, in a different spot and she notarized them. No problems with that.

Oh yeah -- you can totally do that!

:yes: Hey, I hope all is well with everyone. I have a question...everyone keeps talking about their applications being "touched". How do you know this info? I was checking the status of my petition on USCIS website and just says "case received and pending". Do they let you know that they touched it? And what kind of touch are we talking about here? Are we talking about a "hey my pinky finger accidentally touched your file" or "hey, i actually looked over your file"? I guess no one here would know that info, now would they??? Forget that last question.

A "touch" is when the date changes in their system. In a perfect world everytime someone accesses your file (for anything) the date changes. It just means someone is doing something....or....it means nothing at all. It all depends on who you talk to :wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

08/30/05 - Approved

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

Timeline
How is Damien????? (F)
Any advice as to how to break it to him. He now knows that I am "seeing" Evan, but I need to hurry and tell him of the plans of marriage, cause its obviously more serious than just some holiday romance.

I didn't tell my parents about Roy until he was already here a week :lol: Hey, i think it is funny!! My mother blew a gasket and my father refused to ever speak to me again. It took a few months before they would even acknowledge him (he got here in January) -- they, to this day, still don't know when or where I got married...

It wasn't until June when we went to San Diego to visit my sister. Once my sisters kids met Roy they fell in love with him -- my mother called and asked my sister how the kids "accepted" him -- my sister told my mom the truth and my mother actually said, "that was going to be our determining factor." HUH????? She was waiting to see how the kids felt about him -- since that trip, they have been absolutely wonderful to him -- still, we have NEVER been "out in public" with them....

He might be really mad and upset with you but he is your father and he loves you -- he will eventually get over it!!

My husband keeps calling the Hospital in MoBay to get a medical but he says its always busy and he can't get through. Is this typical? What is the best day to call? I am get nervous because are interview is a month away. :help: from anyone who went through MoBay Hospital?

I sent them an e:mail and scheduled his appointment for him. I have never heard of the phone being so busy -- does he have the right number?

Thanks Sonshyne and Mindy.

I emailed Dwain the number this morning. He had written it down wrong by one number. He called and they told him to call back at 3:30 this afternoon. I think I can finally sleep. It didn't dawn on me that is what had happen. I didn't go to bed until midnight last night worried. My body stresses out too much about things. Hopefully he will get an appointment this afternoon and I can rest easy.

Anna,

Thanks for the help on the taxes. I was stressing about finding a notary to sign it and thinking he would have to go all the way to Kingston. My dad's Secretary is a US notary and she is going to do it. Yippee no shipping the Passport to me. Now I need to file my extension. Who knew that you had to file taxes for your husband even if they did not live here at the time. No more stress for a month now until the interview.

Jax,

Are you expecting a refund from the state? If so then you will not have to file for an extension. It's usually for ppl that owes and dont' want to be penalize for doing it late. Per the IL Dept of Rev, it's better to wait for the ITIN before submiting the tax return b/c it saves a lot of headache later down the road. Glad I was able to help.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hey VJ Family!

I got in last night from Jamaica and felt a serious sense of sadness pulling up in my driveway without my honey! The trip was extremely successful, we got approved for the visa, I got to know his family a lot better, and my daughter was able to spend time with my honey to develop a relationship with him prior to him coming here. I was hoping that he would be able to come back with us, but our interview was on 3/27 and of course the visa didn't come in time.... based on all that I have read, and the experience Texas Bound is having, I don't expect him before the beginning of May.... which is probably for the best, because I have some preparations to make....

Ok... I've been gone for over a week, so I've read all of the posts to catch up.... so, I will first describe my experience with the interview, and then would like to comment on some topics discussed....

Our interview was very straight forward, no nastiness like what Ricardo faced! Section A she asked for all of the documents.... didn't specify which documents, and because of everyone else posting their experiences, I was prepared with all of my documents, from the 157, 157K, 230 Pt. 1 &2, Affidavit of support, all supporting financial documentation, Notarized letter of intent from me, his No-Impediment, Police Record, Birth Certificate, Passport Photos, Receipt from paymaster..... everything was in an envelope in a logical order. So when she asked for it, I pulled it out and handed it to her. She went through everything, checking off on her list as she looked at the paperwork. No Problem....

Then at the next window they took his fingerprints.... no problem. Third window.... interview. The lady asked him basic questions about me, asked him to write my name, and asked to see pictures.... no problem. It was nothing like what I had prepared myself for... I think it just boils down to who you get as the interviewer.... and being prepared for anything!After the interview, we were able to spend a wonderful week together.... no complaints, no problems... his family was so gracious and welcoming (we stayed with his mother). My daughter felt at home, I felt at home, and it was simply paradise!

Now, my issue now is very similar to other posts regarding family acceptance of our SO's. I have an 11 yr. old daughter, and my fiance is 24.... my family is flippin out! I just told them he is coming (they don't know about this process or that we are getting married). They say I don't really know him because I have only been around him in a vacation setting.... I am opening the door for tragedy to occur that could permanently ruin my daughter..... How can I make such an irresponsible decision to bring this young man into my home around my daughter! I am 11 years older than my fiance. To make matters worse, I have not had the best luck with relationships in the past.... I admit that I have rushed into relationships, been in two failed marriages that only lasted 7 months each ( I ended both of them)! I will say for certain however, that nothing has every kept me down, the marriages didn't work, but I kept it moving, and never found myself in a worse off situation. I am very responsible, maintain my own home, bills, and am a damn good mother! My daughter and I are very close and we discuss everything! I understand my family's concern, but am upset that they don't think that I've thought about any of this! All they want to do is focus on my bad decisions in the past. They don't consider that I am grown, responsible, and don't ask anyone for anything.... Not to mention, they don't seem to have any concern for me any other time... no one calls to see if I need anything... if I need any help around the house.... need my grass cut.... but now everyone wants to give input on my choice of a mate!!! I am pissed!

I know that they love me and my daughter and don't want to see us hurt, but they don't know how much they are hurting me right now. I don't want him to come here and on top of all the other issues we will be faced with, have to deal with the nastiness of my family! So, I have decided that he will get an apartment for 3 months when he gets here. That will give he and my daughter time to be totally comfortable with each other (they hit it off fine when they met), and it will give time for my family to get to know him. It will be an additional burden on us financially, but I belive it will be worth it in the long run. I have been searching today for rooms for rent, or apt's to share in my area and have come across a few. So, I am hopeful to have something lined up for him. Also, I will be inquiring about work for him working with a contractor, or Lawn care company so that he can have some income coming in right away (where he gets paid cash for each job he does... there are alot of those types of jobs around). This way he will be busy, and making some money until we get the AOS. I am hoping this plan makes things easier for us. I really understand my family, but I also understand that my fiance is leaving familiar territory, supportive family, and his homeland to be with me. I know that has to be scary and hard, and I want to help make the transition as stress free as possible.....

So thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences.... I wish us all success and happiness! :D

LovinJA

AOS Timeline:

Mailed I-485 July 2, 2007

Received NOA1 July 11, 2007

RFE: Dated July 24, 2007

Ovnt. requested info. July 30, 2007

Biometrics Appt. Aug. 3, 2007

AOS Interview Sept. 27, 2007

AOS Approval Sept. 27,2007

GREEN CARD Rec. Nov. 1, 2007

Timeline
Jax,

Are you expecting a refund from the state? If so then you will not have to file for an extension. It's usually for ppl that owes and dont' want to be penalize for doing it late. Per the IL Dept of Rev, it's better to wait for the ITIN before submiting the tax return b/c it saves a lot of headache later down the road. Glad I was able to help.

I never owe anything on taxes usualy get money back. Okay I can stop worring about the extension part.

I just got the letter today on what I need for the interview. It looks like all I need is to write out again the I-864 again and get that notarized.

;)

xTr6m6.png

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Timeline
Hey VJ Family!

I got in last night from Jamaica and felt a serious sense of sadness pulling up in my driveway without my honey! The trip was extremely successful, we got approved for the visa, I got to know his family a lot better, and my daughter was able to spend time with my honey to develop a relationship with him prior to him coming here. I was hoping that he would be able to come back with us, but our interview was on 3/27 and of course the visa didn't come in time.... based on all that I have read, and the experience Texas Bound is having, I don't expect him before the beginning of May.... which is probably for the best, because I have some preparations to make....

Ok... I've been gone for over a week, so I've read all of the posts to catch up.... so, I will first describe my experience with the interview, and then would like to comment on some topics discussed....

Our interview was very straight forward, no nastiness like what Ricardo faced! Section A she asked for all of the documents.... didn't specify which documents, and because of everyone else posting their experiences, I was prepared with all of my documents, from the 157, 157K, 230 Pt. 1 &2, Affidavit of support, all supporting financial documentation, Notarized letter of intent from me, his No-Impediment, Police Record, Birth Certificate, Passport Photos, Receipt from paymaster..... everything was in an envelope in a logical order. So when she asked for it, I pulled it out and handed it to her. She went through everything, checking off on her list as she looked at the paperwork. No Problem....

Then at the next window they took his fingerprints.... no problem. Third window.... interview. The lady asked him basic questions about me, asked him to write my name, and asked to see pictures.... no problem. It was nothing like what I had prepared myself for... I think it just boils down to who you get as the interviewer.... and being prepared for anything!After the interview, we were able to spend a wonderful week together.... no complaints, no problems... his family was so gracious and welcoming (we stayed with his mother). My daughter felt at home, I felt at home, and it was simply paradise!

Now, my issue now is very similar to other posts regarding family acceptance of our SO's. I have an 11 yr. old daughter, and my fiance is 24.... my family is flippin out! I just told them he is coming (they don't know about this process or that we are getting married). They say I don't really know him because I have only been around him in a vacation setting.... I am opening the door for tragedy to occur that could permanently ruin my daughter..... How can I make such an irresponsible decision to bring this young man into my home around my daughter! I am 11 years older than my fiance. To make matters worse, I have not had the best luck with relationships in the past.... I admit that I have rushed into relationships, been in two failed marriages that only lasted 7 months each ( I ended both of them)! I will say for certain however, that nothing has every kept me down, the marriages didn't work, but I kept it moving, and never found myself in a worse off situation. I am very responsible, maintain my own home, bills, and am a damn good mother! My daughter and I are very close and we discuss everything! I understand my family's concern, but am upset that they don't think that I've thought about any of this! All they want to do is focus on my bad decisions in the past. They don't consider that I am grown, responsible, and don't ask anyone for anything.... Not to mention, they don't seem to have any concern for me any other time... no one calls to see if I need anything... if I need any help around the house.... need my grass cut.... but now everyone wants to give input on my choice of a mate!!! I am pissed!

I know that they love me and my daughter and don't want to see us hurt, but they don't know how much they are hurting me right now. I don't want him to come here and on top of all the other issues we will be faced with, have to deal with the nastiness of my family! So, I have decided that he will get an apartment for 3 months when he gets here. That will give he and my daughter time to be totally comfortable with each other (they hit it off fine when they met), and it will give time for my family to get to know him. It will be an additional burden on us financially, but I belive it will be worth it in the long run. I have been searching today for rooms for rent, or apt's to share in my area and have come across a few. So, I am hopeful to have something lined up for him. Also, I will be inquiring about work for him working with a contractor, or Lawn care company so that he can have some income coming in right away (where he gets paid cash for each job he does... there are alot of those types of jobs around). This way he will be busy, and making some money until we get the AOS. I am hoping this plan makes things easier for us. I really understand my family, but I also understand that my fiance is leaving familiar territory, supportive family, and his homeland to be with me. I know that has to be scary and hard, and I want to help make the transition as stress free as possible.....

So thank you to everyone that has shared their experiences.... I wish us all success and happiness! :D

Hello LovinJA,

I'm pretty new to the community so I am just getting in the know of others on here and reading timelines and such. I read your post and in most ways it seems very similar to other situations that I have heard about. Not just on VJ but in conversations else where. The issue that your guy is younger than you is a familiar trend. It seems that culture in the US is more hung up on the woman being older than her man. I too am older than my guy. Not by much, and I look younger than him so it doenst matter.

I think its an interesting twist though for you to get him an apartment. That could be a good and bad thing. Since he is coming to the US on a K1 you ma y want to use this 90 day "trial" period to actually live with each other and see how that sort of interaction goes before you marry and file to adjust. Just my opinion though. You know what is best for u and your daughter. I hope all goes well when he arrives and you start a wonderful life together.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hey VJ Family!

Welcome home LovinJa! It was so good to have you in JA at the same time doing the same thing. I am glad that you and your daughter had a nice week there too. Good luck with the family situation. Email me or call when you get a chance. (F)

Abbreviated Time Line

4/06 * Started the process with Vermont

6/06 * Get approved in US

8/06 * Found out from Embassy our package #3 is lost in the mail (one month),

Ricardo drives to Kingston to pick up duplicate (before you needed appointment to do so)

9/06 * Finally reach the embassy by phone and told- no date for interview until November

10/06 * Receive package and date for INTERVIEW November 9, 2006

11/06 * Ricardo waits too long to get police report -- we cant do our interview

12/06-1/29 *** We wait for our new interview date while the embassy moves and

re-organizes???

1/29/06 * NEW INTERVIEW DATE 2/27/07

Messed up the 156 Got turned away at first window, no interview

3/1/06 ** THIRD INTERVIEW DATE 3/27/07

3/27/07 !!!!!!!VISA APPROVED!!!!!!!

4/10/07 * Ricardo picked up VISA at Montego Bay Airpack

4/22/07 ***Ricardo is here!! Pinch me so I know I am not dreaming!!!!!

7/6/07 ** We are married (waited almost full 90 days).

7/14/07 * Mailed out AOS

7/30/07 * Received NOA's for EAD and AOS dated 7/25/07 and Biometrics appt. 8/17/07

10/3/07 * Received EAD card in the mail dated 9/25

12/18/07 * Case transferred to California Service Center

03/07/08 * Received Welcome Letter

03/11/08 * GREEN CARD arrives in Mail (Done for two years)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.