Captain Ewok

Yardies, at home and a farrin' (Part 3)

6,588 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Kelly.......the pics are amazing!!! You all look so happy and you look absolutely beautiful!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Okay...so you will soon be going through the AOS/EAD process with me...ARGH!!! We went and got the 4 passport photos today and I picked up the cashier checks from the bank......The post office was closed by the time we got done so it will officially be mailed tomorrow......I just hope I did everything correctly and did not forget anything......... :blush:

Thanks all for the help!!!

make sure you make two copies of the whole packet. Good job getting it done! :thumbs: I know what a PITA (paininthea$$) it can be.

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
A couple of our WEDDING Pics are loaded on the yahoo site !!!

Dag, to even THINK about the next step....I'm dreading it. ARGH ...

:D

Congrats to the Valentines! I wish you both the best.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Kelly love the pics u guys look so happy. The background is very fab.

hello ladies!!!!

jill....so sorry to hear that!!! i agree with everyone else...if you levels are that high you should go see someone ASAP!!!!!

Jax..any news on Dwains father???

He is still the same today.

Thanks everyone for the prayers its really apreciated. It is just hard I am trying to figure out if we loss his dad what we are going to do to help support his mom since she is supported right now by his retriment. And she is lonely in the country were she built her house and its not safe out there so we need to find a place were she has friends to live. Cause after Dwain moves she will not have any family members left. So thanks again for your prayers this is a hard time for us.

Jax

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Welcome Wynter!!!

Met Jan 1998, vows on 2006, Jay Jay born 2008, baby 2 - 2011

Look at time line for visa information

xTr6m6.png

Great Cook Shop in the Chicago Land Area: Montego Bay Jerk Chicken Restaurant in Bellwood IL

lXHgm6.png

CuySm6.png

if you a non-US citizen you have to make an appointment in Maryland so they can view all of your immigration paperwork. If you pass the driver's permit then you have to wait six months before you can apply for your license. Then you have take mandatory driving lessons - two weeks in the classroom and six hours on the road.

I think Maryland have the worse driving license laws. But at least he's almost at the end of the road - I hope.

Oh my gosh :o That's just crazy! Yes, it sounds like Maryland gets the reward for "most difficult state to obtain a drivers license"! :P

Hi all

I'm kind of new to the site and so relieved to see this thread. Sent of I-129F 9/1/06 and I already have approval (Vermont SC). But now what happens? I can't sleep, I can't eat, I can only dream of paperwork and what to expect and how to be completely and totally prepared. I hear that if I fed ex the original 797 to my finace in JA, he can bring it to the embassy and get "the packet", but do I have to wait to know the NVC sent the file to Kingston first? I'm jumping out of my skin...

Ann

Welcome to the Yardie thread. You are SOOOOO lucky to have gotten approved so quickly :yes: I had to wait 3 months to get approved as have many others on here. :angry: Yes, you must wait until the case gets sent to Jamaica from NVC before he can pick up the packet. He won't even be in the system until the case arrives in Jamaica.

Also...did you send separate checks for everything or just 1 check for AOS/Biometrics/EAD?

I sent seperate money orders for each thing. One for EAD, one for AP, and one for AOS. I wanted to keep everything seperate.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

August 9, 2004 - NOA2 APPROVED!!!!

October 1, 2004 - Interview date - Visa APPROVED!!

December 11, 2004 - Wedding! Finally married!

December 30, 2004 - Overnighted AOS, AP, & EAD

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

March 7, 2005 - Received EAD in the mail

April 4, 2005 - Received notice of interview date for AOS

July 26, 2005 - Interview date for AOS!!!

August 12, 2005 - Received NOA for Permanent Residency

August 15, 2005 - Received Green Card in mail!!

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

June 11, 2007 - Check cashed

June 21, 2007 - Received NOA1 and Biometrics appt. letter

July 14, 2007 - Biometrics appt. (after re-scheduling)

April 2, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case was transferred to California!

May 12, 2008 - got an e-mail that our case is APPROVED!!

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

December 6, 2007 - Monique Savannah is born!! 6 lbs. 13 oz.

34z0pck.jpg

Kelly -- The pictures are beautiful -- the mountains are awesome. Glad you had a great day!!

Ditto :yes: Very nice romantic spot to have a private ceremony.

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

February 7, 2005 - Received AP in the mailFebruary 26, 2005 - Fingerprints & Biometrics appointment

June 4, 2007 - Mailed I-751 form to lift "conditions" - it arrived at NSC on June 6

May 17, 2008 - Received Green Card in the mail! No more Immigration for TEN YEARS!!

34z0pck.jpg

Ok, I have a new topic for you guys. Actually it is more of a question. How often does your man drink? Did he drink often in Jamaica? Does he drink more or less now than he did while living there? Is it an "issue"?

I'm just wondering what is considered "normal". I know the Jamaican culture is a lot different from ours here. I know drinking occurs way more often there (at least in my opinion). Me and Tony are having some issues about this topic and I'm just curious. I am a social drinker - weddings, parties, occasional weekends, having friends over, etc. - and this is what I would consider "normal". Tony is used to drinking way more often than that - in Jamaica, you can get a Guiness or a rum & coke on every corner all hours of the day or night. :o He was shocked when he got here and discovered that most liquor stores and bars close and stop serving alcohol at 2am.

I have a cousin that is a servere alcoholic and I had an uncle on the other side of the family that died of liver problems caused by alcoholism. So, I am very sensitive to this topic. Any comments and info. you give me would be great :blush:

Edited by rhondapayter

May 11, 2004 - NOA1

34z0pck.jpg

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Congrats, Kelly!

Elizabeth, Lake is very frustrated. We just finally started having LOADS of flowers on our bitter melon plant, and then FROST this week! Sigh....its funny, the only plant that grew was from throwing out the insides of the ones we buy at the Asian store. The seeds we ordered didnt do a darned thing. Guess they WERE gay! :lol: Poor guy is going around shivering and muttering about how he will never make it thru the winter. The wuss!

Thanks Michelle, for the PM. I appreciate all you guys support, your all wonderful.

Hugs

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Filed: Country: Guyana
Timeline

Rhonda, interesting topic.

It was the same where Lake was from, only perhaps worse. His father is an alcoholic, but when he came here, Lake didnt even know what alcoholic meant. I told him his father has a PROBLEM. He says, "No, he doesnt have a problem, he just drinks every day til he passes out and screams and hollers and curses at everyone in the meantime, everyone knows it, yada yada."....

I said, yes, this is a PROBLEM in our country. If you cant afford to feed your kids because you stop at every liquor hut on the way home and drink ALL your paycheck, then THAT IS a problem. He understands NOW, but it took a while. His uncle came to visit for THREE days, and that man drank like a whole HUGE bottle of Vodka, in just that amount of time. AND he didnt show the effects. And when we went to New York, Lake stayed up drinking with his relatives ALL night, an he said he had like 36 beers or so. I was incredulous. I told him that could have killed him. He still doesnt understand the concept of alcohol poisoning.

Since he is here, I dont drink at ALL, and he hasnt made any drinking buddies here, so I am very glad of that. I do wished he had some buds to go out with, and I wouldnt mind if he had a few beers. He had to totally TOTALLY lay off ANY liquor when he was on the tb meds, I mean NONE, and even then the dr said his liver enzymes were off the chart. We thot it was due to meds, but in all actuality, it was due to his drinking. Cuz after another month, retested, and the meds were supposed to mess with the liver, but enzymes were GOOD! So, the best thing that ever happened to him, was having to take that stupid medication so he would lay off the liquor. It took me forever to impress upon him that he "could NOT take 5 pills on Monday, none the rest of the week so he could drink on Saturday." Sometimes they think like such a child when they first come.

It probably helps I dont drink. I recently bot him a 24 pack of beer, and it has lasted him about 3 months. I am sooo proud of him. He tells me he is actually GLAD he doesnt live around his relatives in NYC, cuz thats all they do and they would expect the same of him, so eventually....it might get to be a problem. He has said this himself.

I know what you are saying tho. If we lived in NY, like I said, and he had friends around, I dont know what I would have done, cuz they would have pressured him, and he would be drinkin up a storm every night, EVERY night. Thats just the way its done, he says. And its a LOT of pressure, when we went to visit, they wouldnt let up on ME, even.

I hear where your coming from, didnt mean to write a book again, darnit!

Jill

Timeline

May 15th Lake arrived NYC on tourist visa

6-15-05 Flew NCY to "fetch" Lake for visit here

8-17-05 He Proposed!

8-24-05 MARRIED!

9- 1-05 - SENT AOS, EAD, AP, & ETC

9-12-05 NOA1 - FOR I-130, I-145, & AP, EAD

10-5-05 RFE for Birth C. & medical

10-24-05 GOT LEARNERS PERMIT

11-3-05 DRIVERS LICENSE :)

11-16-05 overnited RFE

11-17-05 Rcvd NOA2 for EAD, bio set for 12-5-05

11-25-05 Recvd AOS bio letter, apptmt for 12-14-05

12-5-05 Biometrics (they did BOTH!)

Infopass, got temp EAD, AP no luck

12-6-05 Applied for SSN, not in system

12-10-05 AP finally arrives!

12-11-05 1 year EAD card!

12-23-05 Interview letter arrives! 3-3-06

1-17-06 SSN arrives!!

3-3-06 Interview-APPROVED! Passport stamped :)

3-14-06 Green card arrives!

Good Morning (F)

Ok, I have a new topic for you guys. Actually it is more of a question. How often does your man drink? Did he drink often in Jamaica? Does he drink more or less now than he did while living there? Is it an "issue"?
The only "real" fights that Roy and I have had have been about alcohol. I am not sure how much he drank in Jamaica -- I never saw him drunk or thought it was excessive when I was there. Since he has been here -- I have never seen him drunk either.

Roy seems to drink when he is bored and home alone <that's when the alarms when off in my head> He has cleaned out my Vodka stock (three bottles in total) in the freezer.....it took me a while to notice the bottles were gone so I am really not sure how long it actually took him......about three months.

Now, I don't bring any "hard alcohol" into the house. Just the occasional six pack of beer. And that is very seldom. I can also tell you that he will have a drink (be it beer or something harder) before he goes to work or an interview. I think it's a bit of liquid courage.....maybe.....

Rhonda, like you, I am a social drinker and don't miss it not being in the house. It makes our life so much easier not having to worry about that. It's not worth the aggravation for me to have it in the house for me to drink occasionally.

OH YEAH -- and a really weird thing -- when we go out for dinner or something, I am the one who is dying for a drink -- and he usually orders a coke......go figure. He's a "closet" drinker....the worse kind.

The post office was closed by the time we got done so it will officially be mailed tomorrow......I just hope I did everything correctly and did not forget anything......... :blush:
make sure you make two copies of the whole packet. Good job getting it done! :thumbs: I know what a PITA (paininthea$$) it can be.

Yeah, don't forget to make those copies -- of the checks too!! :thumbs:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm just wondering what is considered "normal". I know the Jamaican culture is a lot different from ours here. I know drinking occurs way more often there (at least in my opinion). Me and Tony are having some issues about this topic and I'm just curious. I am a social drinker - weddings, parties, occasional weekends, having friends over, etc. - and this is what I would consider "normal". Tony is used to drinking way more often than that - in Jamaica, you can get a Guiness or a rum & coke on every corner all hours of the day or night. :o He was shocked when he got here and discovered that most liquor stores and bars close and stop serving alcohol at 2am.

I have a cousin that is a servere alcoholic and I had an uncle on the other side of the family that died of liver problems caused by alcoholism. So, I am very sensitive to this topic. Any comments and info. you give me would be great :blush:

Sorry - no advice/input. We are a dry family. :lol: Henry does not drink alcohol of any kind and never has. I have not had a drink in over 20 years. :o Only one of Henry's brothers drink and he seems to be a social drinker. No alcohol in his house. His sisters don't drink. None of my siblings drink. Neither parent drinks. But everyone on my dad's side - his cousins, neices and nephews are all heavy drinkers. Dad had three alcoholic brothers. They died way too soon - in their 60s. :angry:

I hear where your coming from, didnt mean to write a book again, darnit!

Jill

suuuurre :P:lol:

AOS, EAD - 115 days from mailing AOS to conditional Green Card in Hand

06-07-08 - File to remove conditions

4/28/09 - Moved to CSC

06-20-09- Received 10 year Greencard

Citizenship

07-09-09 - Filed N-400

Joel 2:25 (Amplified Bible) And I will restore or replace for you the years that the locust has eaten--the hopping locust, the stripping locust, and the crawling locust, My great army which I sent among you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your well wishes and support. We tied the knot today (at our local park and my friend married us)...pictures to come soon. It was quiet, romantic and just the 3 of us (me, my son and Craig).

Next July we're going to have the "big one" in Negril.

:D:D:D:D(L)

Congrats Kelly (F)

Where in Negril are you having your July wedding?

"What is he going to be drivingg?"

:lol::lol: Michael would be angry I even told you guys about it....but :whistle: ...he started out with "The Brownie" --yes, it was a 1989 Celebrity. Nice and rusty and BROWN! It was so pretty . And it randomly died at stop signs :lol: He's glad to be rid of it now!

After Henry told me I waste too much time on VJ/online and called you guys weirdos :lol: , I slammed our bedroom door 3X right off the hinge!! :lol::blush: It's an old house, I swear. :innocent:

ROTFLOL :lol::lol: My hubby dosen't think highly of VJ either :hehe::lol:

:lol: Mine either - He always tries to read what I write and then tells me I shouldn't tell anyone "those" things :lol:

Okay I keep on getting bad news after bad news.

I'm so sorry Jax, you and your family will be in my prayers (L)

Edited by Sbys

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

...he started out with "The Brownie" --yes, it was a 1989 Celebrity. Nice and rusty and BROWN! It was so pretty . And it randomly died at stop signs :lol: He's glad to be rid of it now!

Don't talk about Brownie like that....cars have feelings too!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm kind of new to the site and so relieved to see this thread.

Welcome to the board Ann :luv:

A couple of our WEDDING Pics are loaded on the yahoo site !!!

Dag, to even THINK about the next step....I'm dreading it. ARGH ...

:D

They're beautiful Kelly! I LOVE the one of you guys on the bench.

Michael is a recovered alcoholic now. He hasn't had a drink since the day he got here... so he's been sober for 11 months now :dance: He had a bit of a problem with rum, actually it was so bad that it was starting to damage his liver.

He was a completely different man when he drank so yeah, it was a HUGE issue for us. He actually quit a while before he got here, but when we started geting close to an approval on our K1 and him moving he here he kind freaked out and had a relapse. But all is back on track now and he's doing great. He goes to AA meetings every Tuesday.

Click My Timeline For Our K-1 Info

10.21.05 - Applied For SS Card (He's Not In The System Yet)

10.27.05 - Got Marriage License

11.02.05 - Received SS Card In The Mail

11.10.05 - Passed Permit Test!

NOVEMBER 18th - We're Married!

12.17.05 - Mailed AOS/EAD Papers

12.27.05 - Checks Cashed

12.29.05 - Received both NOA's in the mail (receipt dates 12.20.05)

02.17.06 - Received Biometrics Letter

02.27.06 - Got Driver's License!

03.11.06 - Biometrics Appointment

03.16.06 - EAD Approved

03.21.06 - EAD Came In The Mail

04.10.06 - Received AOS Interview Letter

06.08.06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

06.19.06 - Green Card Received

WE'RE DONE!

08.22.06 - Elias Is Finally Here!!! Born at 1:13am, 8lbs. 15oz. and 20.5 Inches Long

November 18th, 2006 - Our Real Wedding In Negril

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good morning Ladies,

Welcome Wynter!!!

Well my .02 cents on this issue is that my hubby was a hard drinker until we got married ( well al little before, I kept getting on him because he would act weird, yeah lets call it that), I kept pressuring him to slow down (I was a social drinker myself). He finally quit and keeps telling me he does not drink but I can say back when he was a heavy drinker he could drink. I remember an incident when he was here last November ( I surprised him with tickets for Thanksgiving) He went to 'hang' one Saturday with my brother-in-law and when Paul came back 3 hours later that boy could not stand, his eyes were red and he stunk. Come to find out they had finish one bottle of Stones Ginger Wine, a hennessy (sp?), rum and coke, and he had a few white rum-not to mention the smoking, oh boy. At least it is not a problem now- he has gotten sober , yeah.

My mom's bothers are all heavy drinkers so is her father, my father's brothers are not really drinkers they are mostly men of god or in the police or army force (they might drink but socially). none of the ladies on either side drinks. But yeah when Jamaican guys drink they really put it away.

Just an update ladies-I finally got Paul to go tomorrow and get the DS230 from the embassy :thumbs: , I put on the baby voice whined and begged oh yeah I even shed a few tears :innocent: , funny that was when he finally heard me :angry::innocent: . All the screaming and insults before just made him so mad and withdrawn, but now I know how to get him to hear me, act all spoil and childish :devil::innocent::lol:.

Edited by desperatewife

I do not wish to share any information about this dead end journey.........I have reached my final destination on this train, and it is time for me to get off.

THIS TOO SHALL PASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If marriage means you fell in love, does divorce mean you climbed out?"

"You never really know a man until you have divorced him."-Zsa Zsa Gabor

"When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife." Deuteronomy 24:1-2

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us." - Helen Keller

"Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?" - Mary Manin Morrissey

"I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Theresa

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.