shend

Leaving US to go back to school while on Conditional Green Card

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hey guys!

I just want some clarification:

Status: Conditional Green Card 2 yrs expires on early 2011 (file for I-751)

Problem: I want to know if I can go back to the Philippines to study for 1 year, well I prolly would be gone for june -october then maybe do a short trip to see my hubby here in the US then go back from Nov to March. Would that be fine or would that hinder or affect when we file for the Removal of Condition? My hubby supports my decision because this is for the betterment of my career here. I needed that in order to take the Foreign Pharmacist Exam. Would they suspect something if we do that? Or would that be alright?

OR Do we just have to wait until we file for the I-751 and get the 10yr GC?

I need your opinions please. :)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Panama
Timeline
Hey guys!

Problem: I want to know if I can go back to the Philippines to study for 1 year, well I prolly would be gone for june -october then maybe do a short trip to see my hubby here in the US then go back from Nov to March. Would that be fine or would that hinder or affect when we file for the Removal of Condition? My hubby supports my decision because this is for the betterment of my career here. I needed that in order to take the Foreign Pharmacist Exam. Would they suspect something if we do that? Or would that be alright?

Hi shey,

My hubby also has a conditional green card and we went through the K-1 process. I don't know much about the Green card conditions per say, but I noticed that you mentioned "Forgein Pharmacists Exam". I'm a current 4th yr PharmD student at the University of Florida (I graduate in May 2010 :)) and I know that for forgein grads you basically have two options: start from scratch, or do the forgein grad requirements which takes approximately 2-3 years. The downfall of doing the Forgein grad requirement is that you don't get a PharmD title, just an RPh. To get the PharmD. you have to do a work-study program which lasts another 2 yrs and then you are a PharmD.

So all in all it'll take you about 4 yrs, the same as it would if you were to go to pharmacy school. Also, when it comes to doing the forgein grad requirements, you have to prove that you know english by taking the TOEFEL before you even apply for it. Since you mentioned that you have to go back to finish school in the phillipines, maybe you're better off starting from scratch over here. What state are you from? I can send you a few websites that are helpful, and there is a Pharmacy school that is fully online, you can do it anywhere, and you would complete your clinicals and practicum experiences in affiliated hospitals in your city. here's there website: http://spahp2.creighton.edu/admission/Phar...cy_Distance.htm

since you mentioned that your hubby supports you going to the phillipines, I'm sure he would like it even better if you were here to do that. Since you're a resident you qualify for financial aid. If you have any questions PM me, and I'll gladly give you more info. and if you're wondering if it'll take too long, no worries, I have classmates that this is their second or third career, they have kids, I got married while in pharmacy school, and here I am 6 months away from graduation, so yes it is worth it and yes you can do it. You've already been through the immigration process and all the craziness that comes along with it, you can handle pharmacy school. Hope this helps. take care :)

AOS:

August 8, 2008: We're married!! (both the ceremony and legal wedding)

September 11, 2008: Got the marriage certificate in the mail!! 

September 20, 2008: Sent AOS packet (I-485, EAD, AP)

September 22, 2008: USPS confirmed delivery at LockBox

September 26, 2008: Check Cashed!! :)

September 25, 2008: Recv'd date on all NOA's 

September 30, 2008: Received all 3 NOA's: I-485, EAD, AP

Ocotber 10, 2008: RFE for I-485 (needed proof of citizenship for sponsor) :S

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

October 22, 2008: documents for RFE sent via Priority Mail

October 24, 2008: documents received at MO

November 6, 2008: Case transferred to CSC :D

December 10, 2008: EAD approved!! Card production ordered!

Dec. 15, 2008: Rec'd EAD and AP via mail.

March 2, 2009: AOS Approved

March 9, 2009: Green Card Received!!!

March 24, 2020: N400 submitted (online)

January 2021: notice stating no new Biometrics needed

April 15, 2022: Notice to Appear for interview and exam

June 4, 2022: Interview/Exam Day! 🥳

Hey guys!

Hi shey,

My hubby also has a conditional green card and we went through the K-1 process. I don't know much about the Green card conditions per say, but I noticed that you mentioned "Forgein Pharmacists Exam". I'm a current 4th yr PharmD student at the University of Florida (I graduate in May 2010 :)) and I know that for forgein grads you basically have two options: start from scratch, or do the forgein grad requirements which takes approximately 2-3 years. The downfall of doing the Forgein grad requirement is that you don't get a PharmD title, just an RPh. To get the PharmD. you have to do a work-study program which lasts another 2 yrs and then you are a PharmD.

So all in all it'll take you about 4 yrs, the same as it would if you were to go to pharmacy school. Also, when it comes to doing the forgein grad requirements, you have to prove that you know english by taking the TOEFEL before you even apply for it. Since you mentioned that you have to go back to finish school in the phillipines, maybe you're better off starting from scratch over here. What state are you from? I can send you a few websites that are helpful, and there is a Pharmacy school that is fully online, you can do it anywhere, and you would complete your clinicals and practicum experiences in affiliated hospitals in your city. here's there website: http://spahp2.creighton.edu/admission/Phar...cy_Distance.htm

since you mentioned that your hubby supports you going to the phillipines, I'm sure he would like it even better if you were here to do that. Since you're a resident you qualify for financial aid. If you have any questions PM me, and I'll gladly give you more info. and if you're wondering if it'll take too long, no worries, I have classmates that this is their second or third career, they have kids, I got married while in pharmacy school, and here I am 6 months away from graduation, so yes it is worth it and yes you can do it. You've already been through the immigration process and all the craziness that comes along with it, you can handle pharmacy school. Hope this helps. take care :)

Do all these rules apply if I just go for 2 weeks to visit my family overseas ? I got confused reading the posted website about the green card holders....:(

A 2 week visit is just that .. a 2 week visit. Or a vacation, if you will. Taking a vacation does not indicate that you are not maintaining permanent residence.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

A 2 week visit is just that .. a 2 week visit. Or a vacation, if you will. Taking a vacation does not indicate that you are not maintaining permanent residence.

The 2 week visit would be in the US. And that is not enough to maintain permanent residence.

No, the person who asked the question asked if the same rules applied if she were to go to visit her family overseas for 2 weeks.

I know that a 2 week visit to the US is not considered residing in the US, lol.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Timeline

The 2 week visit would be in the US. And that is not enough to maintain permanent residence.

No, the person who asked the question asked if the same rules applied if she were to go to visit her family overseas for 2 weeks.

oh lol --- i thought you had lost your mind :lol: --- it was me!!! :hehe:

I am sorry my question caused some confusion.To make it clear- I am the US resident-conditional 2 year green card holder. I am in the States. Never went anywhere but I want to see my family .If I go to visit my family overseas will I have any problems coming back ? My card is good until 2011

Thanks

Timeline

I am sorry my question caused some confusion.To make it clear- I am the US resident-conditional 2 year green card holder. I am in the States. Never went anywhere but I want to see my family .If I go to visit my family overseas will I have any problems coming back ? My card is good until 2011

Thanks

No you won't. My hubby is going to visit his family in Panama next week, he's staying for a week. As a resident you and go in and out of the country, but they will ask you more questions as to why you left the states at the POE into the US. But then again, even as a citizen (me), when I travel out of the country I get asked a whole bunch of questions when I come back too. But as long as your card is vaild, not expired, and your trip isn't for a long period of time (I'd say more than 1 month) then there should be no issue with you leaving or coming back. hope this helps.

AOS:

October 21, 2008: Biometrics @12 pm in Ft. Lauderdale~over and done with in 5min!!~

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hey Would I have a problem if I leave for let's say 4-5 months to go to school then come back here to be with my hubby for 2 weeks then leave again for another 4 months to go back school? Would that be a problem when I remove condition via K1? Also would it be a hassle at POE?

Some input please

No you won't. My hubby is going to visit his family in Panama next week, he's staying for a week. As a resident you and go in and out of the country, but they will ask you more questions as to why you left the states at the POE into the US. But then again, even as a citizen (me), when I travel out of the country I get asked a whole bunch of questions when I come back too. But as long as your card is vaild, not expired, and your trip isn't for a long period of time (I'd say more than 1 month) then there should be no issue with you leaving or coming back. hope this helps.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

My guess would be that you will be OK in terms of being let back into the US.

They will ask you - what was the purpose of your trip?

You will have to say, to go to school.

They might question whether that means you abandoned your residency. You could defend yourself with the fact that it is only for one year. You should though get a re-entry permit before you leave the US to go to school. That'll make things easier at the POE.

Another consideration, time comes for removal of conditions, you will be likelier interviewed, because of living apart from your husband for significant amount of time.

CR-1 Timeline

March'07 NOA1 date, case transferred to CSC

June'07 NOA2 per USCIS website!

Waiver I-751 timeline

July'09 Check cashed.

Jan'10 10 year GC received.

Timeline
My guess would be that you will be OK in terms of being let back into the US.

They will ask you - what was the purpose of your trip?

You will have to say, to go to school.

They might question whether that means you abandoned your residency. You could defend yourself with the fact that it is only for one year. You should though get a re-entry permit before you leave the US to go to school. That'll make things easier at the POE.

Another consideration, time comes for removal of conditions, you will be likelier interviewed, because of living apart from your husband for significant amount of time.

I agree with rika60607, did you read the previous post that I wrote about getting a PharmD. ? it's just that, it seems that staying here to get your PharmD is more convenient and less of a hassle with respect to your immigration status here in the states. Not no mention the hubby will probably be happy that you won't have to be apart. Let me know if you have more questions about that, I can get you the info.

AOS:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.