j&js

Building Credit

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Will adding my husband's name to my credit cards help him in building good credit, or does he need to get them completely on his own for that?

And how long does it take to build good credit?

I was reading the threads about house buying and the non USC's lack of credit possibly posing a problem. As we are a few years away from the house, I'm hoping we can deal with that before it becomes an issue, but I know next to nothing about finances (although I do know my credit rating is very good)

Thanks for any replies!

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: Other Timeline

If your fiance has a credit card in his home country that also has credit cards in the US, like American Express or MBNA, he may be able to transfer it to a US$ account.

I did that with my MBNA mastercard. I kept my Canadian one until I had a job and SSN here, and then wrote to MBNA America and told them of my credit in good standing in Canada along with my account number there (any credit company will swear they dont' have access to foreign accounts :P ). They approved my application and sent me a US$ card.

Once you have a credit card, you are establishing credit. Whether or not its "good" credit is up to you and your payment schedule. If you skip payments, you'll have bad credit, if you pay it regularly, you'll get good credit.

And once you have one card, its easier to get more. But more is not always better ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

We went to bank of America and immediatly added him to my CC's just to be safe. We then got him a secured credit card. What this means is you pay an amount (we did $500) and that is his credit limit. He can't go over at all. After maintaining the CC for about a year, they pay you pack your $500, and he's gained credit in the process :)

We did this RIGHT when Stewart got here...the first of APril....and he's already rec'd two credit card offers, so I'm assuming SOMETHING is happening!!

I think the secured cc is a good way to go. If he can'ty get a "normal" cc, then jsut have him get ANY card...not lots of cards, but I mean one...I hope that makes sense. AMybe JCPenney, Old NAvy, whatever.

We use Stewart's card for groceries only. That way we stay under the limit and are using it every month, therefore hopefully building credit :)

hope this helps

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

oh yeah, and too many applications for credit cards can give a bad mark on your credit rating. So don't apply for too many.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

wish someone had told me that back in college where they were offering free credit card apps before every football game :) Hey I had a great collection of useless free sh!t...towels, cups, fans....

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nepal
Timeline

When my husband arrived last fall, I added him to my bank account, which has a Mastercard debit card associated with it. [incidentally, it was easier to get his driving learner's permit - in Virginia, whose DMV supplied several of the 9-11 terrorists with state ID - than it was to get him added to my bank account! :blink: ] At any rate, he has already received 2 home equity loan offers in the mail from my bank which we are taking to our AOS interview next week. I figure they have to know he lives there if he's even getting JUNK mail there! :hehe:

Just recently I contacted my other credit card company (USAA) and asked about adding him to that card. Since he is not a USC (they asked about that), we had to give his country of citizenship and passport number, and they had to speak with him in person to verify everything. They are mailing him his own card and the rep said that he will begin accumulating a credit history immediately.

Good luck!

Maya

Many thanks to the Visajourney community for all the help!

We then got him a secured credit card. What this means is you pay an amount (we did $500) and that is his credit limit. He can't go over at all. After maintaining the CC for about a year, they pay you pack your $500, and he's gained credit in the process :)

Yes this is what I did also, its a good way to get credit because it gets you into the system. Also putting bills the name of the new immigrant is also a good way, as payment of bills generally gets reported to credit agencies. After following this route myself I now have good enough credit to have low APR credit cards (8.9%) and I got a 2.9% APR car loan from Honda approved on the spot when I bought a new car. I have been here for 7 years though!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Thanks for the ideas guys!

We already have James added to one of my credit cards, but will get him a secured one as well.

Timeline:

11-15-2005: Sent in I-129F to VSC

11-21-2005: NOA1

11-29-2005: NOA2

12-05-2005: NVC recieved

12-17-2005: Packet 3 received from Dublin

1-11-2006: Sent packet 3 forms, etc. to Dublin

2-03-2006: Interview Date :)APPROVED!!!

2-05-2006: Flying to Logan Airport

2-11-2006: Wedding Date

3-14-2006: Filed AOS and EAD

3-22-2006: NOA1 (AOS and EAD)

4-07-2006: Biometrics

6-07-2006: EAD approved!!

7-24-2006: AOS Interview APPROVED!!!

7-27-2006: Received Welcome to America letter

8-03-2006: Green Card Received :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Well, the good way to build up your credit is that to apply for a SECURED VISA CREDIT CARD. where you have to deposit up to 250.00 or more and that would be the credit limit of your card.

K-1 Journey....

05/15/2006 - Sent to TSC (Day 1)

05/30/2006 - NOA 1

07/21/2006 - NOA 2

08/23/2006 - INTERVIEW SUCCESSFUL!! (Day 99)[/b]

08/24/2006 - Visa Issued......08/30/2006 --- Visa in HAND !!!

09/02/2006 - REUNITED

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/07/2006 - Married

09/07/2006 - Applied for SSN

09/13/2006 - Picked-up Marriage Certificate's from the COURTHOUSE

09/13/2006 - Vaccinations DONE !!!

09/21/2006 - SSN received

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

09/21/2006 - Mailed out I-485 Package to Chicago.

10/02/2006 - NOA recevied

10/06/2006 - Letter Received for Biometrics

10/10/2006 - Biometric's Done !!! Appointment for Biometric's originally was on 10/14/2006

10/23/2006 - Case Transfered to CSC

10/27/2006 - Case received at CSC

11/09/2006 - E-mail recevied from CRIS saying AOS Approved and welcome notice mailed.

11/14/2006 - An approval letter mailed.

11/15/2006 - Green Card Received !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8/15/2008 - Mailed out I-751 Package to Nebreska. (mail fwd to Cali)

8/21/2008 - Package delivered.

8/25/2008 - Check Cashed/Cleared.

8/29/2008 - NOA Received.

Perhaps while we are on this topic someone can explain to me why your credit score is negatively affected just because you change your job, when you could well be changing it to a better paid one?

OUR TIMELINE

K1 VISA & MARRIAGE - 8 MONTHS

17 February 2004 Sent I-129F petition CSC - It was APPROVED in 147 days

3 September 2004 INTERVIEW IN LONDON SUCCESSFUL VISA APPROVED! MARRIED OCTOBER 16, 2004

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS - 5 MONTHS

4 January 2005 - Submitted applications for AOS and EAD - 12 May 2005 Conditional Permanent Residency Approved - interview in Santa Ana

4 June 2005 CPR 2-year Green Card arrives in mail

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 3½ MONTHS

8 May 2007 - I-751 sent to CSC - 23 August 2007 - Approved - Card production ordered

30 August 2007 - 10 year Green Card received

K2 TIMELINE (Stayed behind in UK to finish school)

28 March 2005 - embassy interview & medical London - visa granted

01/18/06 Applications for AOS/EAD sent - 03/28/06 EAD approved

4/3/06 - RFE for AOS - requested new medical and vacc supplement

4/26/06 - approved without interview and welcome letter sent

05/02/2006 - Greencard arrives in mail

03/14/08 - Petition to Remove Conditions mailed to CSC delivered - 7/2/08 APPROVED

NATURALIZATION TIMELINE (for myself and son) 5 MONTHS

April 18, 2011 - N-400 Applications Mailed to AZ lockbox

April 21 (received April 25) NOAs

May 12 - FP Letters mailed

May 16 - Received FP appointment letters for June 8 at 11am

August 1 - Interview - approved for Oath Ceremony - OATH CEREMONY 28 SEPTEMBER

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Simon arrived in the USA in January. After getting his SS card, he went to the bank and got a checking account, saving's account and a secured visa card. He purchased things on the secured credit card and just paid the minimum amount each month. In April he applied for a store credit card and was able to get a $1500 credit line. In June, he applied for another credit card...Capital One, and got a small credit line with them as well. Just making payment's on time and working seems to be building his credit.

Good luck and hope this helps.

:D

"Reckless" ~ London, UK

Elissa ~ USA - Milwaukee, WI

June 2006 - Simon lands job 1 week after getting work visa

September 2006 - Simon get's greencard in the mail....all done for now! :)

October 2006 - Our second wedding with friends and family

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I got a BOA secured credit card with a $99 deposit and $500 credit limit.

*Karen -- Jamaica ....... Courtney -- New Jersey*

09-12-05 - AOS filed

04-21-06 - AOS Interview

04-27-06 - Approval

05-17-06 - Green Card in hand

02-11-08 - File to remove conditions

03-15-08 - Biometrics

03-18-09 - Approved - No interview (Card production ordered)

03-24-09 - 10-year card arrives!

adaf8672.gif

JimminiCricket.jpg

Now that my husband is working we need to get him a credit card. I was reading that there are lots of companies that will give you "secured" cards -- but to be very careful of all their "add on" costs.

What "secured" cards have you guys had good luck with? There are just sooooo many out there -- it's a bit daunting.....:wacko:

JAMA0001.GIFMindy & Roy

06/08/05 -- I-129f Sent to Nebraska

08/30/05 - Approved

12/02/05 - Interview in Kingston

01/13/06 - Roy flies to Chicago

03/03/06 - Married

03/29/06 - EAD/AOS Sent

06/06/06 - EAD Approved

07/11/06 - AOS Approved - w/o interview

07/17/06 - GC Received....

I-751 - Lifting Conditions

04/01/08 - Sent to Nebraska

04/03/08 - NOA1 Notice Date -- Trans to California

04/14/08 - Received NOA1 in mail

04/14/08 - Check cleared bank

04/24/08 - Biometrics letter received

05/02/08 - Biometrics scheduled

10/10/08 - Card Ordered

10/16/08 - Card received -- DONE!!!

Now that my husband is working we need to get him a credit card. I was reading that there are lots of companies that will give you "secured" cards -- but to be very careful of all their "add on" costs.

What "secured" cards have you guys had good luck with? There are just sooooo many out there -- it's a bit daunting.....:wacko:

I got one with my Credit Union, because they were fairly trustworthy. You should ask if your bank does one.

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Anything from a major bank is OK, ie. HSBC, Capital One also does one but you may have to ask for it, they don't advertise it.

One to definitely avoid is the "Aspire" VISA, which ends up costing you something like $200 in fees (4*$50).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.