Maria.S

Change of Last Name to husband's last name

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everybody!

Today I woke up in the morning with a question in my mind.

When we get married, I will change my last name to Nick's last name, as is usual in the US.

I know there's no problem with Social Security and AOS, although I'm worried about my passport.

As we are planning to travel out of the US for our honeymoon after I get the GC, is there any known issue with having my GC card with a different last name than my passport that will contain my maiden name? would it be an issue at the port of entry or buying the plane ticket? If that's so, should I do something about it?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Maria

K-1 Timeline

---------------

07/14/2009 - 1st NOA received on the mail!

10/05/2009 - 2nd NOA!

10/23/2009 - Packet 3 received

12/30/2009 - Interview -> APPROVED!

Maria flew to the US & we got married! YAY!

AOS Timeline

---------------

02/24/2010 - Package sent to USCIS Chicago P.O. Box

03/04/2010 - Check Cashed!

03/07/2010 - 1st NOA hardcopy letters received on mail.

03/24/2010 - Hardcopy received "Case transferred to CSC"

03/30/2010 - Biometrics taken

05/07/2010 - I-131 approved and received

05/24/2010 - I-765 EAD card received

August 2nd - got divorced. Maria comes back to her country.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You would book the plane ticket in the same name as the passport.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just an add on,

Yes buy the ticket in the name of your passport, BUT you need to bring your marriage certificate with you when you travel so it proves the name on your greencard if you are leaving america. You will need it to prove the marriage and the greencard to re-enter.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

But can't you buy the plane ticket in the married name and just show the certified copy of the marriage certificate and your passport with your maiden name as well?

Shoot for the moon - even if you miss, you'll land among the stars...

AOS completed in 11/2009

ROC completed in 06/2012
Received BBG from Germany in 02/2013

Passed N-400 interview and civics test 06/07/2013

Oath ceremony some time in July

Timeline
But can't you buy the plane ticket in the married name and just show the certified copy of the marriage certificate and your passport with your maiden name as well?

Plane ticket has to match the name in the passport.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Filed: Timeline
You would book the plane ticket in the same name as the passport.

Thanks for the reply! :D

So your wife did that?

Marriage Certificate + GC + passport + plane ticket with same name as passport = that's it?

WOW! This simplifies my life a LOT!

Thanks everybody for all your quick responses!

:dance::thumbs:

Maria

K-1 Timeline

---------------

07/14/2009 - 1st NOA received on the mail!

10/05/2009 - 2nd NOA!

10/23/2009 - Packet 3 received

12/30/2009 - Interview -> APPROVED!

Maria flew to the US & we got married! YAY!

AOS Timeline

---------------

02/24/2010 - Package sent to USCIS Chicago P.O. Box

03/04/2010 - Check Cashed!

03/07/2010 - 1st NOA hardcopy letters received on mail.

03/24/2010 - Hardcopy received "Case transferred to CSC"

03/30/2010 - Biometrics taken

05/07/2010 - I-131 approved and received

05/24/2010 - I-765 EAD card received

August 2nd - got divorced. Maria comes back to her country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

That's good stuff to know. I kinda figured that you need to do it like that since one time on my travels back from Poland the couple afront of me at the check point had her GC,marriage cert, and passport in hand and heard them explaining the details about to the Officer at the entry point. They seemed to have no problem at all. That's good cause it takes forever to get the Polish passport back from what I heard and last time my mother did her passport it had to be sent back all the way to Poland and took months to get it back good thing she had the USA one. Mine was still down here in states at the Polish embassy but now they send them all back overseas. I don't know if they do that for differant countries but I think they do.

Another question on this topic do you know if you can just wait to renew the passport to update that name change or do you need to get it down in specific time frame?

Timeline

You can change the name on your passport at anytime you wish to, if you want to wait till it has to be renewed go right ahead, all you have to do is bring your marriage certificate with you everytime you plan on leaving America! Its one extra thing to bring with you and make sure you don't lose but I do understand as passports are expencive if they dont have to be renewed / changed right away. Just make sure to have your marriage certificate and green card with you!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Inky

Thanks for the information. Yes they are expensive also but the problem is waiting all that time for the darn thing to arrive is the real downside. Plus she just got her passport last year cause we knew we are going to have to go with this process sooner or later. It's good for another 9 years still. Taking the Marriage Certification isn't a problem. We are still doing the K-1 Visa it's at the Embassy but I'm just trying to be prepared for everything that might come up after our AOS when she gets her GC we plan on traveling to Poland for a church wedding with all of our family since they are all in Poland besides my parents being in England with my brother as he is attending school there right now.

Timeline

Good luck an have fun!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: El Salvador
Timeline

"

Hi everybody!

Today I woke up in the morning with a question in my mind.

When we get married, I will change my last name to Nick's last name, as is usual in the US.

I know there's no problem with Social Security and AOS, although I'm worried about my passport.

As we are planning to travel out of the US for our honeymoon after I get the GC, is there any known issue with having my GC card with a different last name than my passport that will contain my maiden name? would it be an issue at the port of entry or buying the plane ticket? If that's so, should I do something about it?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Maria

"

Hello,

I just had a quick question in relation to this post. My wife is hispanic and she and I would like to change her last name to JUST mine. We got married in her country so she kept her father's surname and then added my name onto it. However, we would only like to have my last name. For example:

Wife:

First name: Maria

Middle Name: Gabriela

Father's last name: Davila

My last name: Smith

Currently: Maria Gabriela Davila de Smith

Would like to change it to: Maria Gabriela Smith

Please let me know how I can go about this. Thank you in advance! :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.