JeniLovesMarwan

I-864 or I-864A

23 posts in this topic

Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am so confused and I have been getting very different answers to this same question. Can someone tell me the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A. I am living with my mother and father and I am sponsoring my husband but I have no income so my father will be joint-sponsor and I am living with him. So I thought I completed the I-864 and my father would complete the I-864A for contract between household member but when my husband sent these to the embassy the embassy sent back the I-864A stating no they dont need that form they need my father to do I-864 and so now I am confused because I am living with my father so when I did my I-864 I combined mine and my father's income and included all of us in one household me, my 3 kids, mom, dad and sponsoring husband so why doesnt the embassy want the I-864A and If my father does I-864 then he wont include me or my kids as household even though we are living with him. I have been reading much about this and I did see something that says if you are living with a household member that fills out the I-864A that I must also include proof that we have the same principal address and that we are related. I dont believe I sent anything like this I just wrote a letter explaining where i was living and things like that. Do you think this could be the reason they sent back the I-864A cuz they are not knowing that I am living with my father and if so what could I show as proof that we r living in same home and that we are related?? My birth certificate would show him as my father so maybe that would work but how would I show we live in same home. I dont know I am just so confused if anyone can help me please thank you

Filed: Timeline

jenni --- you did not get different answers. Your question was responded by several VJ members who have gone through DCF, and/or have dealt with Cairo. Please read the guides and re-read the instructions in the form .

Requesting a moderator to merge this with your other thread- the responses will not change, and you are not making enough effort to write down what folks tell you, take your time in analyzing and doing a bit of research on your own.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

You were correct in filing the 864A... However, you need to provide a cover letter explaining this (they might have gotten confused) and yes, you have to provide proof that he is related (birth certificate showing him as your father and a copy of your drivers licence or other ID with the same address and proof of your fathers citizenship/Legal permanent residence status etc...)

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Filed: Timeline
You were correct in filing the 864A... However, you need to provide a cover letter explaining this (they might have gotten confused) and yes, you have to provide proof that he is related (birth certificate showing him as your father and a copy of your drivers licence or other ID with the same address and proof of your fathers citizenship/Legal permanent residence status etc...)

:no: She has to file one I-864 and dad another one. She is the primary sponsor; dad is the joint sponsor. It is right there in the guides and in the form instructions :crying:

See different answers, however this makes much more sense to me. So I need to write a letter explaining to the embassy that me and my kids are living with my parents or should my father write this letter? and then i will need to send a copy of my birth certificate to proof him as my father. and a copy of my drivers license with my father's address on it? and also a copy of my father's birth certifcate? Is this all that i need to send with my father's I-864A? Thanks so much

:no: She has to file one I-864 and dad another one. She is the primary sponsor; dad is the joint sponsor. It is right there in the guides and in the form instructions :crying:

but it doesnt say in the guides or forms if the joint sponsor is a family member. It says in the instructons for I-864A that it is a contract between sponsor and family member. I am the sponsor my father is the family member so I dont know why the embassy sent back the I-864A. It also says the I-864A is only used when the sponsor (ME) does not meet the income requirements. it doesnt say when the joint sponsor does not meet the income requirements then get family member.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

YOU have to file an 864 by yourself, even if you do not have enough to cover him/her... You file an 864 and your father files the 864A

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

YOU have to file an 864 by yourself, even if you do not have enough to cover him/her... You file an 864 and your father files the 864A

Thank you so much that is what I was thinking and that is what I did I filled out the I-864 and my father filled out the I-864A because I am living with him in his home but for some reason the embassy sent back the I-864A and said they dont need that form they need my father to fill out the I-864 NOT the I-864A and that is where my confusion is. I dont know why they sent this form back because I am living with my father therefore he should fill out the I-864A. Everything I have been reading says the sponsor fills out the I-864 and if you live with family member and u will use their income for joint sponsor they will fill out the I-864A so again I dont know why embassy sent this form back saying it was the wrong form. It also says when you do live with a family member that you must show proof that you are related to them and also show proof that you do live with them in their home. I did write a letter explaining that I lived with my parents but I didnt include any evidence that I am related to them or proof that I am living with them (I didnt read this until after i sent it) so I am wondering since I didnt send this if the embassy is confused and doesnt really know if I am living with a household member or not. However I included my kids, husband, me, my mom and dad as household size of 7 on my I-864 and also included my fathers income and combined it with mine. they didnt say anything about my I-864 just said that the I-864A for my father was wrong and we need to send in I-864 for him. So confused

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Ok. My husband in MI will file the I-864.

My cousin in MD will file another I864 as joint sponsor. His income is enough to cover his family (him, wife, and daughter and me, the intending immigrant). Now hypothetical question: Say his income wasn't enough, and he was using his wife's income as well. Would that mean the wife would then have to file a I864A?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Ok. My husband in MI will file the I-864.

My cousin in MD will file another I864 as joint sponsor. His income is enough to cover his family (him, wife, and daughter and me, the intending immigrant). Now hypothetical question: Say his income wasn't enough, and he was using his wife's income as well. Would that mean the wife would then have to file a I864A?

Just getting a joint sponsor is easy and I understand that. I would complete the I-864 with my income and household information and my joint sponsor would complete their own I-864 with just their income and household information. What confuses me is when the joint sponsor is a family member and household member. I thought in this case which I am living with my mother and father that I would complete the I-864 and combine mine and my household members income (joint sponsor) and our househould since i am living with my joint sponsor and he is my father and then my father would complete the I-864A.

That is what I did but the Embassy sent back the I-864A and said that dont need that form they need the I-864 from my father but why would I do that if I am a family member and household member to my father who is the joint sponsor? And if I did do that it would mess up my I-864 that I already did because I combined our income and household members on my I-864 and if my father did a I-864 it would look like we were not living together and therefore should not combine incomes. Maybe the embassy is confused and doesnt realize that I am living with my father who is my joint sponsor. I did write a letter explaining this but I didnt include any evidence that he is my father or that we have the same address I didnt know I would need this until after I sent everything in. Can anyone help me with what I need to do? Should I have my father, my joint sponsor, my family member disregard the I-864A and do I-864 and me complete another I-864 and not combine our income or our household (even though we are living together)or should I just send another letter with proof that he is my father and I am living in his home? Any help would be great thanks.

Filed: Other Timeline

hey,

we had to do those a couple of weeks ago,since ur dad has the income he has to me the sponser, he and you have to file the i864 both of u, he is the sponser he files his income, and even though you have no income u still file it as 0 income,that what i did. if u file ur taxs jointly u and ur dad then you file i864a if u dont, then there is no need to file it.

Hi I am hoping someone can help me. I am so confused and I have been getting very different answers to this same question. Can someone tell me the difference between the I-864 and the I-864A. I am living with my mother and father and I am sponsoring my husband but I have no income so my father will be joint-sponsor and I am living with him. So I thought I completed the I-864 and my father would complete the I-864A for contract between household member but when my husband sent these to the embassy the embassy sent back the I-864A stating no they dont need that form they need my father to do I-864 and so now I am confused because I am living with my father so when I did my I-864 I combined mine and my father's income and included all of us in one household me, my 3 kids, mom, dad and sponsoring husband so why doesnt the embassy want the I-864A and If my father does I-864 then he wont include me or my kids as household even though we are living with him. I have been reading much about this and I did see something that says if you are living with a household member that fills out the I-864A that I must also include proof that we have the same principal address and that we are related. I dont believe I sent anything like this I just wrote a letter explaining where i was living and things like that. Do you think this could be the reason they sent back the I-864A cuz they are not knowing that I am living with my father and if so what could I show as proof that we r living in same home and that we are related?? My birth certificate would show him as my father so maybe that would work but how would I show we live in same home. I dont know I am just so confused if anyone can help me please thank you

hey,

we had to do those a couple of weeks ago,since ur dad has the income he has to me the sponser, he and you have to file the i864 both of u, he is the sponser he files his income, and even though you have no income u still file it as 0 income,that what i did. if u file ur taxs jointly u and ur dad then you file i864a if u dont, then there is no need to file it.

Thank you so much for your help. I think I am starting to understand LOL but I have another question. Does my father still include myself and my kids as part of his household size if he is just completing the I-864? and do I combine my income with my father's income on my I-864 and do I add my father and my mother in my household size. Or would I be doing everything, father's I-864 and my I-864 individually like I am not even living in his home? Thanks

Thank you so much for your help. I think I am starting to understand LOL but I have another question. Does my father still include myself and my kids as part of his household size if he is just completing the I-864? and do I combine my income with my father's income on my I-864 and do I add my father and my mother in my household size. Or would I be doing everything, father's I-864 and my I-864 individually like I am not even living in his home? Thanks

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belize
Timeline

This thread is confusing me even more. So which is it? I also hav eno income, so i will be using my parents who live with me as my joint sponsors. Do i fil out i-864 and my parents do i864a? or do we all fill out i-864 and not include the i864a??

Jeni....I believe that you sent the correct form and I believe you may have gotten the same CO as me...because the same thing happened with me at Cairo. They sent back my I864W, which I was perfectly correct in filing for my situation, and asked for the I864. But since i was pretty sure about what i did, I resent the I864W with a detailed explanation and also highlighted all the instructions on the regular I864 and I864W that shows CLEARLY why I should NOT file the regular I864. They have not sent it back to me.

This is what I found on the instructions for filling out the I864.

How Can My Relatives and DependentsHelp Me Meet the Income Requirements?

You may use the income of your spouse and/or any otherrelatives living in your residence if they are willing to bejointly responsible with you for the intending immigrant(s)you are sponsoring. If you have any unrelated dependentslisted on your income tax return you may include their incomeregardless of where they reside.

Your household size includes yourself and the followingindividuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, anydependent children under the age of 21, any other dependentslisted on your most recent Federal income tax return, allpersons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and anyimmigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or FormI-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated tosupport. If necessary to meet the income requirements to be asponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children,parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long asthey have the same principle residence as you and promise touse their income and resources in support of the intendingimmigrant(s).

How Do I Count Household Size?

The income of such household members and dependents canbe used to help you meet the income requirements if they complete and sign Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsorand Household Member, and if they are at least 18 years ofage when they sign the form.

6-22-09 - Filed petition at embassy in Cairo

8-12-09 - Contacted DOS for info on petition...found out petition is filed incorrectly...

8-12-09 - Tried contacting embassy with new info...no response for 3 days..

8-15-09 - Made appt to resubmit petition on 8-17

8-17-09 - CO at embassy informed us that correction was made and petition sent to Athens for approval.

8-26-09 - Petition approved by Athens USCIS

8-28-09 - Petition mailed to Cairo by Dipl. Pouch via Washington DC.

9-29-09 - Petition arrive at Cairo....

10-12-09 - Package 3 arrived and also sent back same day...

11-10-09 - Package 4 arrived

12-22-09 - Interview date - APPROVED

12-23-09 - DOS says Visa Issued

12-30-09 - Visa in hand

12-31-09 - Enshallah arrive back home :)

Jeni....I believe that you sent the correct form and I believe you may have gotten the same CO as me...because the same thing happened with me at Cairo. They sent back my I864W, which I was perfectly correct in filing for my situation, and asked for the I864. But since i was pretty sure about what i did, I resent the I864W with a detailed explanation and also highlighted all the instructions on the regular I864 and I864W that shows CLEARLY why I should NOT file the regular I864. They have not sent it back to me.

This is what I found on the instructions for filling out the I864.

You may use the income of your spouse and/or any otherrelatives living in your residence if they are willing to bejointly responsible with you for the intending immigrant(s)you are sponsoring. If you have any unrelated dependentslisted on your income tax return you may include their incomeregardless of where they reside.

Your household size includes yourself and the followingindividuals, no matter where they live: any spouse, anydependent children under the age of 21, any other dependentslisted on your most recent Federal income tax return, allpersons being sponsored in this affidavit of support, and anyimmigrants previously sponsored with a Form I-864 or FormI-864 EZ affidavit of support whom you are still obligated tosupport. If necessary to meet the income requirements to be asponsor, you may include additional relatives (adult children,parents, or siblings) as part of your household size as long asthey have the same principle residence as you and promise touse their income and resources in support of the intendingimmigrant(s).

How Do I Count Household Size?

The income of such household members and dependents canbe used to help you meet the income requirements if they complete and sign Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsorand Household Member, and if they are at least 18 years ofage when they sign the form.

Raina4gy, thank you so much, I was beginning to think I was losing my mind. I was very sure that I sent them the right form I-864 for me and then I-864A for my father since he is the joint sponsor/family member/ household member I just couldnt figure out why they sent it back. Anyway I will send them a detailed letter and also I will send prove that I am living with my father and prove that he is my father and hope and pray they dont send it back this time. Thanks again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.