11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
:crying: I need anyone's help to answer this question for me i am a us citizen I got married in Morocco my husband arrived here March 2007 in December to January 14 2008 I found out that he had a I believe Fiance" party or wedding party to a moroccan woman when he was in Morocco to a woman he had been cheating with online for over 6 months he is up for a decision on his AOS what do I need to do we are now separated and he is with a new woman now not with the woman from morocco please help he is to get a decision on November 2

:crying: I need anyone's help to answer this question for me i am a us citizen I got married in Morocco my husband arrived here March 2007 in December to January 14 2008 I found out that he had a I believe Fiance" party or wedding party to a moroccan woman when he was in Morocco to a woman he had been cheating with online for over 6 months he is up for a decision on his AOS what do I need to do we are now separated and he is with a new woman now not with the woman from morocco please help he is to get a decision on November 2

You can call and withdraw your petition if you are convinced that you are being taken advantage of!

most immediately, call to rescind the I-864 Affidavit of Support you filled out for his AOS. If you do not, and AOS gets approved, you are contractually bound to the govt. to serve as the immigrants sponsor...regardless of whether you divorce or not. second, file for divorce and notify USCIS of this...it may trigger a denial of his AOS because if he's no longer married to you, he will lose his eligibility to adjust status.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am so sorry - that is so sad when someone we thought loved us treats us like this. If the marriage isn't viable - and it doesn't sound like it is - you don't want to be financially liable for him through the Affidavit of Support that you submitted with his AOS application. What you can do is contact USCIS - in writing, by phone and in person if you really want to make sure - and tell them that you are withdrawing the Affidavit of Support. Without the sponsorship the green card will be denied and he will no longer have status here in the US. You will also want to pursue divorce proceedings or possibly even annulment proceedings if you have evidence that he entered the marriage fraudulently (ie. engagement to another woman while engaged/married to you, etc.).

Since he is to get a decision by November 2nd, you want to move very quickly to withdraw the Affidavit of Support. Phone the Immigration 1-800 number and ask to speak to an immigration officer. Advise him on the call to please note on your husband's file that you are withdrawing the Affidavit of Support and will be sending in a written notice asap. Then, write a letter, include his A number and the AOS file number if you have it, and tell them that you are withdrawing the affidavit of support. You can tell them that you have learned he became engaged to another woman while in Morocco while he was engaged to you, and that he has left the marriage to be with someone else. You just need to state the facts and ask them to add the information to his file but that the marriage has ended and you are getting a divorce. (I know, that is so tough, but you need to protect yourself). Then send the letter by overnight priority to USCIS. I would also take a copy of the letter and make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office as soon as you can and hand-deliver a copy of the letter stating you are withdrawing the affidavit of support. This way the information should get on file in time for the November 2nd deadline.

You can find the information number at the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov . You can also make an info pass appointment from that page as well - select "Schedule an Appointment/Infopass" from the options shown on the lower left hand side of the page.

Good luck to you, and I am so sorry this has happened to you.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

If you are willing to file for a divorce, then go for it! Just notify the USCIS that you'll be canceling the petition. They have this 1-800 number on their website. www.uscis.gov

Filed N-400 (Arizona Lockbox) - July 10, 2014

NOA received - July 22, 2014

Biometrics - August 8, 2014

In line for interview scheduling - August 12, 2014

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
If you are willing to file for a divorce, then go for it! Just notify the USCIS that you'll be canceling the petition. They have this 1-800 number on their website. www.uscis.gov

What petition? the only thing the USC can do is withdraw the Affidavit of Support

YMMV

What petition? the only thing the USC can do is withdraw the Affidavit of Support

Sorry, I used the word "petition" for the affidavit of support.. How about the AOS? Can she file a complain about what happened??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry, I used the word "petition" for the affidavit of support.. How about the AOS? Can she file a complain about what happened??

You can always complain. Since the AOS application (I-485) is from the alien (not a joint application) there is no ability to withdraw it, as the USC is not a party to it (per se)... Without an I-864 from a qualified sponsor, the I-485 cannot be approved.

YMMV

You can always complain. Since the AOS application (I-485) is from the alien (not a joint application) there is no ability to withdraw it, as the USC is not a party to it (per se)... Without an I-864 from a qualified sponsor, the I-485 cannot be approved.

Good thing she has a choice.. Then she needs to cancel the Affidavit of Support as soon as possible! That guy is crazy.. USCIS has to deport him!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

moved to AOS from Family Visa forum and merged with duplicate thread

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I am so sorry - that is so sad when someone we thought loved us treats us like this. If the marriage isn't viable - and it doesn't sound like it is - you don't want to be financially liable for him through the Affidavit of Support that you submitted with his AOS application. What you can do is contact USCIS - in writing, by phone and in person if you really want to make sure - and tell them that you are withdrawing the Affidavit of Support. Without the sponsorship the green card will be denied and he will no longer have status here in the US. You will also want to pursue divorce proceedings or possibly even annulment proceedings if you have evidence that he entered the marriage fraudulently (ie. engagement to another woman while engaged/married to you, etc.).

Since he is to get a decision by November 2nd, you want to move very quickly to withdraw the Affidavit of Support. Phone the Immigration 1-800 number and ask to speak to an immigration officer. Advise him on the call to please note on your husband's file that you are withdrawing the Affidavit of Support and will be sending in a written notice asap. Then, write a letter, include his A number and the AOS file number if you have it, and tell them that you are withdrawing the affidavit of support. You can tell them that you have learned he became engaged to another woman while in Morocco while he was engaged to you, and that he has left the marriage to be with someone else. You just need to state the facts and ask them to add the information to his file but that the marriage has ended and you are getting a divorce. (I know, that is so tough, but you need to protect yourself). Then send the letter by overnight priority to USCIS. I would also take a copy of the letter and make an infopass appointment at your local USCIS office as soon as you can and hand-deliver a copy of the letter stating you are withdrawing the affidavit of support. This way the information should get on file in time for the November 2nd deadline.

You can find the information number at the USCIS website: http://www.uscis.gov . You can also make an info pass appointment from that page as well - select "Schedule an Appointment/Infopass" from the options shown on the lower left hand side of the page.

Good luck to you, and I am so sorry this has happened to you.

I want to Thank all of you for your support, yes it has been very difficult I loved him very much he has hurt alot of people was it illegal for him to get engaged to a Moroccan woman in Morocco I have evidence of this party and pictures of this any information to help me I will be very grateful justice needs to be served

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.