princessandskul

Grandmother

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
I'm a permenent resident, my husband is a citizen. Please, if you know, tell us how to bring my grandma to US. Thank you.

Visitor's visa, she does that.

Permanently:

You as LPR, can take 5 years.

USC, can take a year.

Check the guide here:

Bringing Parents overview

Procedures

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I'm a permenent resident, my husband is a citizen. Please, if you know, tell us how to bring my grandma to US. Thank you.

Neither you nor your USC husband can petition for your grandmother to come to the USA permanently....

Visitor's visa, she does that.

Permanently:

You as LPR, can take 5 years.

USC, can take a year.

Check the guide here:

Bringing Parents overview

Procedures

however, grandparents do NOT qualify as an immediate relative

FWIW, A USC cannot ever petition for any "in-laws" of any flavor.... (ie.. MIL, FIL, BIL, SIL, GMIL, etc...)

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Thank you! What if bring the grandma as a visitor by visitors visa, and later, as she won't be able to come back( she is very old, the flight is very hard for her), apply for sponsorship for her and for permanent visa?

tourist visa might be possible

you cannot ever sponsor her for permanent residency... it is not within the law

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I recommend a 747.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have a Russian wife. She has an older teenage son currently in the Russian Army. Perhaps he may come to the USA to live with us, perhaps not. That remains to be seen.

So, I totally understand wanting to bring children over. Perhaps it is also understandable to try to bring over a mother or father but I am less sympathetic to this situation. If the USA government OKs you bringing in a wife (husband) must they also allow the entire family to immigrate? Is the marriage about love between two people or wholesale relocation of an entire family?

And Grandma too! What's Next? Uncle Alexi? Cousin Irina? Of course, for good reason, the laws prevent this kind of immigration of extended family.

And to sneak someone in as a tourist with full intention to not return is, in essence, unlawful and part of the reason the immigration authorities are so hard to deal with. I fear sooner or later, it will be more difficult for Russian's to visit on a tourist visa from abuse of the privilege.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
I have a Russian wife. She has an older teenage son currently in the Russian Army. Perhaps he may come to the USA to live with us, perhaps not. That remains to be seen.

So, I totally understand wanting to bring children over. Perhaps it is also understandable to try to bring over a mother or father but I am less sympathetic to this situation. If the USA government OKs you bringing in a wife (husband) must they also allow the entire family to immigrate? Is the marriage about love between two people or wholesale relocation of an entire family?

And Grandma too! What's Next? Uncle Alexi? Cousin Irina? Of course, for good reason, the laws prevent this kind of immigration of extended family.

And to sneak someone in as a tourist with full intention to not return is, in essence, unlawful and part of the reason the immigration authorities are so hard to deal with. I fear sooner or later, it will be more difficult for Russian's to visit on a tourist visa from abuse of the privilege.

Nobody asked you to get russian wife, but you did. I guess your wife's parents are still alive and in a good health so far, but one day they will need help from your wife,if she is the only child of the family to take care of them, i guess it won't be money and time consuming for you to go back and forth to Russia to take care of them, or i guess you can leave them on the street that would be a great example for your kid, so they can leave you on the street too or even worse at nursing home.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You said, "Grandma" and that means your mother's mother...so I guess it's up to your mother (parents) to tend to her. If she has no one to help, that is unfortunate and will require you to send money or do whatever you must. But I don't personally feel the USA is obliged to bring her over here simply because of age or illness. Even if she comes, how will she get health care? How will she adjust? Speak the language? And I don't see any insurance company picking her up, so she'll have to go to free clinics...probably little better then Russian hospitals. Or can you pay out of pocket?

If you want to bring over a mother or father, that is only possible if-when you become a citizen and even then it will take a long time...maybe years. Unless you "trick" the immigration system with the tourist visa con which may or may not work. Grandparents coming here to live...you can forget it.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Just as an FYI, it's already almost impossible. The official statistics of tourist visa refusal is 5%, but my relative said that when you sit in the waiting area and observe how others' interview is going, it feels like 95% of people are turned down with visa requests. Edited by Oksana81

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.