Ashley and Cuong

Places to stay HCM

88 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Wait so you are staying in a hotel right now? You said you had a full blown wedding but your wife's family is making you stay in a hotel close to her home not at her home? That's not the way your in-laws should treat you. When I go to my mother in-laws house she sets aside a room for me and my wife. She makes my sister in-law who use to stay in my wife's room with her and makes her sleep somewhere else. When I get there that room is for me and my wife.

:yes: This is "norm" in HCMC...family don't let family stay in hotels...they actually think it's rude and inconsiderate and a waste of money. Staying at a hotel gives off the image to family members that you think you're better than them or their living conditions just isn't acceptable. When I go to VN, we're fortunate that my husband has his own room...no need to move anyone out...haha.

First this has nothing to do with this thread. Second this has nothing to do with the way my inlaws are treating me. They have a full house, and we want our privacy. Yes we could stay at her house, yes they offer it each time I come, but it is our choice to stay in a hotel, this way there is less work for her family, I respect her family and her mother already takes care of 2 aunts, 1 son and also Binh, then when I come she cooks most of the meals for us. I actually think to stay with them is just inconsiderate. Especially if someone had to move to a different room while a quest is there. :angry:

First, this has alot to do with the thread...it's appropriately titled "Places to stay in HCM".

Second, Privacy is one thing, but you can't say that it's inconsiderate to stay with them because VN people are VERY accomodating--and I emphasis VERY. VN people will bend over backwards over there to make you feel welcome--that is not an issue. I would think they would want to do it even more so with you since you are literally taking their daughter away to a foreign country (soon). You're her protector in a place where she'll know no one and nothing. While you're in VN (her country) she and her family would want to provide you with the same comfort and security of "HOME". If you want privacy, they have the "nha nghi" that you can rent for CHEAP (10,000-30,000) to get your business on, but to spend 500,000+ ($30) per night on a hotel is outright ridiculous for VN.

You are very wrong Linda, how the heck does me staying with my mother in-law have anything to do with someone wanting to know where to stay in HCMC, get off your dang high horse. This has nothing to do with the thread regardless of what you have to say, go post the same thing 4 or 5 times in a row on a pinned topic again. If you were not so arrogant, you would see your own answer to your own remarks. I am her protector, and they trust me to be alone with her. It is truly none of your damn business where I stay as well. I have money when I come to Vietnam, so I stay in a hotel, this way there is one less thing for her mother to do. regardless of how you feel, I could care less. Our privacy has more to do with love than getting our business on. Ignorant people would think that we only want privacy to get our business on, a person truly in love knows there is much more to love than that. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang Jerome calm down. My fault I started this but no need insult Linda for something we thought was out of the norm. I didn't mean to cause all this hostility in you.

Edited by Dai_Tx
mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline
Dang Jerome calm down. My fault I started this but no need insult Linda for something we thought was out of the norm. I didn't mean to cause all this hostility in you.

It is not your fault that you started this or anything like that. It is that she wants to make accusations that we only want privacy to get our business on is down right insulting to me and I am sure to others. There are other things that are also needed to be taken in affect like the laws. We are not legally married so for me to register with the police to stay in her house one is not possible, but the hotels we stay at she knows, and they know that we are engaged so they allow us to stay together. I get tired of people that think they know every situation when they don't, and when my name or my personal life gets brought into it I will reply. I could care less when people say things just to blow smoke, but when my name and my relationship gets brought into it I take offense. I said her family wants us to stay, they also have the bamboo mats to sleep on, not a bed, and they respect our decision to stay in a hotel, not only for my comfort, but they realize when I am here I am also showing them that I am taking care of their daughter. It is customary for newly weds to live at the grooms parental home with the mom, this is so that the mom can see if the new wife can take care of her husband and vice versa. my trips are similar as they show that I can take care of my fiancée and that all is good in our relationship. But regardless of any of my explanations, this was totally off topic, however Scott and Jim did make some good points about registering with the local authorities out of this mess. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: Timeline
Wait so you are staying in a hotel right now? You said you had a full blown wedding but your wife's family is making you stay in a hotel close to her home not at her home? That's not the way your in-laws should treat you. When I go to my mother in-laws house she sets aside a room for me and my wife. She makes my sister in-law who use to stay in my wife's room with her and makes her sleep somewhere else. When I get there that room is for me and my wife.

:yes: This is "norm" in HCMC...family don't let family stay in hotels...they actually think it's rude and inconsiderate and a waste of money. Staying at a hotel gives off the image to family members that you think you're better than them or their living conditions just isn't acceptable. When I go to VN, we're fortunate that my husband has his own room...no need to move anyone out...haha.

First this has nothing to do with this thread. Second this has nothing to do with the way my inlaws are treating me. They have a full house, and we want our privacy. Yes we could stay at her house, yes they offer it each time I come, but it is our choice to stay in a hotel, this way there is less work for her family, I respect her family and her mother already takes care of 2 aunts, 1 son and also Binh, then when I come she cooks most of the meals for us. I actually think to stay with them is just inconsiderate. Especially if someone had to move to a different room while a quest is there. :angry:

First, this has alot to do with the thread...it's appropriately titled "Places to stay in HCM".

Second, Privacy is one thing, but you can't say that it's inconsiderate to stay with them because VN people are VERY accomodating--and I emphasis VERY. VN people will bend over backwards over there to make you feel welcome--that is not an issue. I would think they would want to do it even more so with you since you are literally taking their daughter away to a foreign country (soon). You're her protector in a place where she'll know no one and nothing. While you're in VN (her country) she and her family would want to provide you with the same comfort and security of "HOME". If you want privacy, they have the "nha nghi" that you can rent for CHEAP (10,000-30,000) to get your business on, but to spend 500,000+ ($30) per night on a hotel is outright ridiculous for VN.

You are very wrong Linda, how the heck does me staying with my mother in-law have anything to do with someone wanting to know where to stay in HCMC, get off your dang high horse. This has nothing to do with the thread regardless of what you have to say, go post the same thing 4 or 5 times in a row on a pinned topic again. If you were not so arrogant, you would see your own answer to your own remarks. I am her protector, and they trust me to be alone with her. It is truly none of your damn business where I stay as well. I have money when I come to Vietnam, so I stay in a hotel, this way there is one less thing for her mother to do. regardless of how you feel, I could care less. Our privacy has more to do with love than getting our business on. Ignorant people would think that we only want privacy to get our business on, a person truly in love knows there is much more to love than that. Jerome

I am first tim post to this place I cant believe some guy say things like this. You sure her family dont want nobody see you at the family house? I know some woman dont want US guy to know they have a man at home. You know husband from before wait for you to make everything ok for him to come living in the US..

I always stay at my wife family house. No problem. Something wrong when the family dont want you there.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I am first tim post to this place I cant believe some guy say things like this. You sure her family dont want nobody see you at the family house? I know some woman dont want US guy to know they have a man at home. You know husband from before wait for you to make everything ok for him to come living in the US..

I always stay at my wife family house. No problem. Something wrong when the family dont want you there.

Just because he does not stay there does not mean that he is in a sham relationship... Go easy on the guy he is stressed from being in AP....

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

He said (several times, I think) that her family always asks him to stay at their home. He never said her family didn't want him to stay there. It's his choice to stay at a hotel. It sounds like he's got some valid reasons for making this choice.

Also, I don't think that he and his fiancee spend all of their time in the hotel. If they are anything like Phuong and I, they spend a lot of time during the day at her family home, and just go to the hotel to sleep.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
I am first tim post to this place I cant believe some guy say things like this. You sure her family don't want nobody see you at the family house? I know some woman don't want US guy to know they have a man at home. You know husband from before wait for you to make everything OK for him to come living in the US..

I always stay at my wife family house. No problem. Something wrong when the family don't want you there.

He said (several times, I think) that her family always asks him to stay at their home. He never said her family didn't want him to stay there. It's his choice to stay at a hotel. It sounds like he's got some valid reasons for making this choice.

Also, I don't think that he and his fiancée spend all of their time in the hotel. If they are anything like Phuong and I, they spend a lot of time during the day at her family home, and just go to the hotel to sleep.

That is exactly what we do Jim. Most of the time we are at her home. Her family would like for me to stay here, but they know that it would be uncomfortable and they want my time here to be comfortable. Half of the neighbors all come to visit when I am here as well. Her mother said that when I am here her house is the busiest it ever is. I am actually there now while posting this. I just know her mother takes care of the entire family already, and I feel bad that I am adding another mouth to the equation. Before i come her mother gets very worried, and tries to plan all sorts of dishes for me and every morning she goes and buys fresh fruit just for me. I have even been allowed to actually cook for her mother. Binh told me that I was the first man to ever cook a entire meal. I also know that her mother liked my version of hot pot. The reason I know this is because the next morning she did not offer left overs to any of us and she kept them all for herself the next morning and bragged that it was all that was left. There are some days that we will relax at the hotel in the afternoon, but usually we are up by 6 am and bone by 7 we usually get home about 9 pm. Well family just arrived and we are going to go and eat buffet. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I guess it's a shock for Viet Kieu's for our family members to allow them to stay in hotels like that. It's just our culture and we know how they would react if we were to stay in a hotel when there is a place they could stay and the family could show their hospitality. When I went to my wife's aunt and uncles house in Columbus Georgia in the US I booked a hotel for the weekend because I never really met them and it wasn't my wife's house just to come and welcome ourselves to a bed in their home. When we came there, they automatically asked where our luggage was and wanted us to put it in a bed room they set aside for us before we had even got there. We told them we had booked a hotel down the highway and that we didn't want to be burden to her aunt and uncle but they refused and they said it's nonsense that we stay in a hotel when there is a perfectly good room to sleep in their home. They insisted so much her uncle went out to our car looking for our luggage to bring into their home. When he did that we finally agreed to stay in the home so that we wouldn't insult him and I got on the phone to cancel the reservation to the hotel.

Trust me...this is the same with my family too! No hotels for us...Thanksgiving/Christmas/holidays, there's 8 of us with husbands/wives/children all crammed up in one house...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline

The topic of this post is Places to stay in HCM...this has everything to do with the topic of the thread. It probably doesn't have anything to do with the initial question, but anything that you post in this thread is fair game to "discuss".

If you cared less you wouldn't have posted a hostile comment on my post...like Dai TX said, this is something I feel is out of the norm...

And I wasn't being disrespectful about your privacy...most couples who want privacy usually want it for that reason...

It is not your fault that you started this or anything like that. It is that she wants to make accusations that we only want privacy to get our business on is down right insulting to me and I am sure to others. There are other things that are also needed to be taken in affect like the laws. We are not legally married so for me to register with the police to stay in her house one is not possible, but the hotels we stay at she knows, and they know that we are engaged so they allow us to stay together. I get tired of people that think they know every situation when they don't, and when my name or my personal life gets brought into it I will reply. I could care less when people say things just to blow smoke, but when my name and my relationship gets brought into it I take offense. I said her family wants us to stay, they also have the bamboo mats to sleep on, not a bed, and they respect our decision to stay in a hotel, not only for my comfort, but they realize when I am here I am also showing them that I am taking care of their daughter. It is customary for newly weds to live at the grooms parental home with the mom, this is so that the mom can see if the new wife can take care of her husband and vice versa. my trips are similar as they show that I can take care of my fiancée and that all is good in our relationship. But regardless of any of my explanations, this was totally off topic, however Scott and Jim did make some good points about registering with the local authorities out of this mess. Jerome

I'm not making accusations that you only want privacy for that reason, and I wasn't trying to insult you--at all. But if you are so all about the law and are so ethical about everything, why would you allow your fiancee to break the law and stay with you at the hotel?

You should care less when people say things just to blow smoke it only makes you look hot headed and I'm sure I'm not the only one who sees this...

Maybe it's the perspective of the people posting these. It seems like us Viet Kieus are all in line when we say it's not the norm to stay in a hotel if you're married. Now you can do what you want, it doesn't matter to us--it's you're life. We're just pointing out the fact that the norm in Vietnam is that if you're married to a VN national and they have residence there (as long as you register with the local authorities) one would typically stay at the in-law's/spouses' residence.

Just because he does not stay there does not mean that he is in a sham relationship... Go easy on the guy he is stressed from being in AP....
I don't think he's in a sham relationship at all. I truly believe that he loves Binh very much, and that he loves him. We're just pointing out the "norms"...

Take things into perspective...from all angles...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

First off the topic is"places to stay in HCM" NOT why does Jerome not stay at his in laws house. If you can not see that then you need glasses. Yes I am hot headed, just as you are all up in peoples business that you do not need to be in. Am I hot headed all the time, no but when someone insinuates something about me that is not true, you are darn right I am hot headed as most other people would be. Is it fair game to remark on something I post yes, but the fact is that the initial post by Dai had nothing to do with this topic, you can try to twist it any way you want, but my sleeping arrangement has nothing to do with "places to stay in HCM" Point blank. You say that I need to look at it from all sides, I will when you ask me a question instead of confront me with accusations or try to tell me what I am doing is wrong. ARE YOU MY MOTHER????? If you are, then I want to be adopted!!! But first you need to also look at it from all sides and truly read what you wrote then you would see my point of view. I will not bow down to anyone that I feel is attacking me in ANY way. SO lets try to stay on topic. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

LOL...best way to stay on topic is if you drop trying to prove yourself right ALL the time...this topic only goes off topic because you feel you have to post an explanation because you think people are accusing you. If you always think/do this you may wonder why people think things that may or may not be true...

:ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2:

Edited by lindal24

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

I wonder why people are online at 4:00pm when they could be spending their limited time with their spouse...HMMM...oh wait, my spouse is still in VN so maybe I'm online because I'm talking to him on the phone...

if you go to Nha Trang...a good hotel would be Pho Quy...its fairly new so it's not ranked, but has the feel of 3 or 4 star for great price!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

:ot2: So Back on topic, I think the best place to stay in HCMC is at your in-law's house. You know it's clean, the service is probably the best, you get food cooked for you all the time, and best of all it's free.. :diablo: . HAHAHA I just had to do it.... sorry HAHAHA :jest:
mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline

LOL...NICE! :)

I completely agree w Dai_TX!!

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline
LOL...best way to stay on topic is if you drop trying to prove yourself right ALL the time...this topic only goes off topic because you feel you have to post an explanation because you think people are accusing you. If you always think/do this you may wonder why people think things that may or may not be true...

:ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2: :ot2:

this is not on topic, if you have something to add to this topic please do so, and if not please do not act like Linda. There are many hotels all throughout the city to stay at. some nice some are roach motels. Thai Ha Huy on Phu Nhuan costs about $35 a night It has a small bar, and a elevator, and they also offer food services if you request them.

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.