Ashley and Cuong

Places to stay HCM

88 posts in this topic

The Asian girl needs to know that the western man needs his space, and certain level of amenities, like hot water and AC. So it is quite culturally appropriate for the man to be in a modern hotel. It does not mean he is there all the time. Most of the time, he will be with his girl at her home, but at the end of the day, he returns to his hotel most nights. What are we missing here?? It is not rocket science. :blink:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Do we get that same special rate that you get if we say you sent us? he he he...

Geez! I could answer that question if I had any clue what rate we actually pay! I just hand Phuong my wallet, and she gives Men whatever she thinks is fair. In total, I think we're probably paying more than most guests, but we're getting more than just a room. Men drops what he's doing when we're in town, and is our guide in HCM. He knows the best restaurants and interesting places to go, and makes sure the cab drivers don't rip us off. He meets us at the airport, and takes us back to the airport when we leave. He also goes to the market to make sure our mini fridge is well stocked with Pepsi Lite! He even handles the cameras when we're doing tourist stuff. :)

The room is technically 'free' for us. We're giving Men a tip for all the assistance he gives us, but Phuong makes sure it's enough to compensate for the room as well.

I knew it was free from conversations earlier in the year, that is what I was pokin at... :thumbs: I am the same way with $ there.... I like the idea of having the wife manage the money and distribute the $. Thuy isnt used to it yet as her mother has always been the one to do it, so she is learning.

In HCMC I have been staying at the same hotel for years after the university had me stay at the Rex the first time, I decided I would find somewhere more our style... and price... They charged the University 160 per night for my room at the Rex... more than 4 times what it is worth...

I am with you Scott, I let Binh handle the money, this way they don't try to cheat me when I pay for things. This morning she went to work and I stayed in the hotel for another hour or so when I went to leave, I could not find my wallet anywhere. I think it is better this way, they are used to dealing with people and getting better prices. And they feel it is our money and they do not want to be cheated as badly as we don't want to get cheated. Jerome

You are telling Dai_Tx and lindal24 that what they post has nothing to do with the topic but you post something like this? Why you being hard on them when you are doing what you preach not to do. Don't be so hypocritical.

I see your point, just like this post does nothing for the original topic, so I now ask you why did you post??????????? But..... I did not start the off topic attack, I defended myself from what I saw as a attack on only me in a manner that to me was not on topic, this topic was not "Why does Jeromebinh not stay at his in laws" it was "Places to stay in HCMC" so before you ask people to not be so hypocritical you need to do the same. Jerome

Scott, I honestly have no real clue what is going on when it comes to money here, Binh knows what it costs and before I could even figure out what is going on she usually has it paid for or she is asking me for a amount, and when they return with change I have no clue as to how much we were supposed to get. Last trip we bought 2 cartons of Cigs for my mom and she did not pay attention to the amount and as we were in a different market she realized she had been cheated and just as we started to talk about it the vendor caught up with us and gave us correct change. I think I might be naive at times, but things like this make me like staying in smaller hotels than the bigger ones. Yes sometimes they might be roach motels or have bad service, but most of the time they seem to have great service and are willing to go the extra mile in hopes that the next time we come that we will stay with them again. The first trip I stayed in a really nice hotel, great room and good service, but it was not very personal service. The second trip we stayed in a family run hotel off the beaten path and the service was more personal, they would talk with Binh and ask what we did that day and so on. I felt better also knowing that the money was probably going to a person that needed it mope than a richer person. Jerome

I am sorry I don't have the authority to tell people which post is on topic or not like you do the overlord... I was just comment on this conversation which has been interesting and a fun read from the beginning and it keeps on giving.. This whole thread is just so entertaining I just wanted to join in on the fun a little. :pop: Awesome jeromebinh, you are just too awesome.

It is fun isn't it??? But drop the overlord bit. I am on a roll as of late, and I am having fun. You are the one that stepped into this thread and called me out, but yet when I threw it back you had to make a chicken cuc remark? come on man give me a break. If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen!! Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Are you really that ignorant and stupid????? Not trying to sound mean, wait yes I am. When you reply to something someone writes and you make specific remarks regarding those things it is directed at the person that had the original post. No names are needed your reply was for that person. You can say it is a public forum, and you are correct. I might have not been correct in the way I worded " did not see Jim's or Scott's name in your post, only mine" but this is only semantics, when Jim posted he stayed in a hotel did you reply to that post in the same manner that you did to mine??????????? Or what about Scott's??????????????? NO YOU DID NOT!!!!!! I also see that you did some removal of posts, where you stated that it looked like 75% stayed at the in laws. If you want to keep arguing back and forth until a admin steps in that is fine with me. If you stay on topic, I will do the same as long as this is a public forum you do have the right to post what ever you want to post and if someone deems that not acceptable then they will take it up with a admin and they will ultimately decide what is acceptable, with that in mind this also gives me the right to use your posts like you use mine. You want to say why do I post on your post??? Give me a FREAKING break, you did that to me on this thread and so did Dai, and with those remarks in my eyes they were attacks toward me, and if you say they weren't, then maybe you should stop posting replies to what I write, then I will do the same, but as long as you keep going then I will that is until a admin finally gets sick of us fighting. My belief is that you are a suka through and through. Jerome

Sorry all for the Off Topic posts. I just feel that this being a public forum that I should be able to defend myself from personal attacks when I feel one was made.Jerome

So then you're saying that when people "quote" things is is only directed to the person that posted it? Hmm...I don't think public forums work that way. When you post something in a public forum, it is generally directed to everyone. Unless someone specifically say "@NAME" their comment isn't for that one individual--it's for all who choose to see/read/believe what they want...I don't have anything against anyone choosing to stay at a hotel. What you do is your choice. AGAIN, what we were trying to point out is that the norm for married couples is to stay at their in-laws. If you don't choose to do this, whatever...

And BTW...I didn't remove that post. I stand strong by my posts and what I said in them.

...GEESH...don't get your panties in a twist. It's not a personal attack.

It is fun isn't it??? But drop the overlord bit. I am on a roll as of late, and I am having fun. You are the one that stepped into this thread and called me out, but yet when I threw it back you had to make a chicken cuc remark? come on man give me a break. If you cant take the heat get out of the kitchen!! Jerome

@ JeromeBinh - Are you sure you're having fun? :devil:

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Timeline
Are you really that ignorant and stupid????? Not trying to sound mean, wait yes I am. When you reply to something someone writes and you make specific remarks regarding those things it is directed at the person that had the original post. No names are needed your reply was for that person. You can say it is a public forum, and you are correct. I might have not been correct in the way I worded " did not see Jim's or Scott's name in your post, only mine" but this is only semantics, when Jim posted he stayed in a hotel did you reply to that post in the same manner that you did to mine??????????? Or what about Scott's??????????????? NO YOU DID NOT!!!!!! I also see that you did some removal of posts, where you stated that it looked like 75% stayed at the in laws. If you want to keep arguing back and forth until a admin steps in that is fine with me. If you stay on topic, I will do the same as long as this is a public forum you do have the right to post what ever you want to post and if someone deems that not acceptable then they will take it up with a admin and they will ultimately decide what is acceptable, with that in mind this also gives me the right to use your posts like you use mine. You want to say why do I post on your post??? Give me a FREAKING break, you did that to me on this thread and so did Dai, and with those remarks in my eyes they were attacks toward me, and if you say they weren't, then maybe you should stop posting replies to what I write, then I will do the same, but as long as you keep going then I will that is until a admin finally gets sick of us fighting. My belief is that you are a suka through and through. Jerome

Sorry all for the Off Topic posts. I just feel that this being a public forum that I should be able to defend myself from personal attacks when I feel one was made.Jerome

So then you're saying that when people "quote" things is is only directed to the person that posted it? Hmm...I don't think public forums work that way. When you post something in a public forum, it is generally directed to everyone. Unless someone specifically say "@NAME" their comment isn't for that one individual--it's for all who choose to see/read/believe what they want...I don't have anything against anyone choosing to stay at a hotel. What you do is your choice. AGAIN, what we were trying to point out is that the norm for married couples is to stay at their in-laws. If you don't choose to do this, whatever...

And BTW...I didn't remove that post. I stand strong by my posts and what I said in them.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

As I said before, if you are that ignorant not to be able to see the logic in it then there is no help for you. When you use a quote and add to it it is not directed to that person, yes you can remark to the entire quote and it not be for that person, but... this is very unlikely the point of quoting someone, I will not quote you or anyone if the intent is not to make a point to that person that I am talking about them. If this is the case then what some if not most people do is say something to the extent " I agree with John Doe" then reiterate what that person posted. In your case you did not do any of these things, you used my quote then made remarks to that post, they were not general remarks like " people in Vietnam when you visit it is usually considered rude not to stay with the in laws" or " I think that most people really only want privacy to get their freak on, and if this is what you are looking for you can find a cheap hotel for bla bla bla" If you had done this then I would not have considered it directed at me. Once again you will throw your spin on things as I have also explained my reasons for my beliefs. Any person can argue any point. A person can even argue a point that is wrong and no way provable, the trick is to get that person to believe in what cuc you are shoveling and once that is done then you have gotten somewhere. But sometimes this is impossible. as Jim said " we have to agree to disagree" and as I have said " I will defend myself from any remarks that I feel are aimed at me or my family" Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
As I said before, if you are that ignorant not to be able to see the logic in it then there is no help for you. When you use a quote and add to it it is not directed to that person, yes you can remark to the entire quote and it not be for that person, but... this is very unlikely the point of quoting someone, I will not quote you or anyone if the intent is not to make a point to that person that I am talking about them. If this is the case then what some if not most people do is say something to the extent " I agree with John Doe" then reiterate what that person posted. In your case you did not do any of these things, you used my quote then made remarks to that post, they were not general remarks like " people in Vietnam when you visit it is usually considered rude not to stay with the in laws" or " I think that most people really only want privacy to get their freak on, and if this is what you are looking for you can find a cheap hotel for bla bla bla" If you had done this then I would not have considered it directed at me. Once again you will throw your spin on things as I have also explained my reasons for my beliefs. Any person can argue any point. A person can even argue a point that is wrong and no way provable, the trick is to get that person to believe in what cuc you are shoveling and once that is done then you have gotten somewhere. But sometimes this is impossible. as Jim said " we have to agree to disagree" and as I have said " I will defend myself from any remarks that I feel are aimed at me or my family" Jerome

"Nonsense"

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

Okay almighty ruler who makes all the rules about how people must post as to not offend others...apparently only one person does it right around here and the rest of us are just ignorant.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline
Okay almighty ruler who makes all the rules about how people must post as to not offend others...apparently only one person does it right around here and the rest of us are just ignorant.

No, not everyone, there you go putting words in my mouth, my post was directed only at YOU!!! And as I said in MY opinion you were directing your comments toward me. I do not claim to be the almighty ruler, but if you think that highly of me then by all means call me that. You are so combative that you can not even begin to think that I might have a legitimate point, or even try to explain to me why I should not think that your remarks were not intended to me, the only thing you say is that you did not mention my name so it was for everyone. I feel good that I have now gotten you as mad if not madder than you had me at the start of all of this. If you are so right and I am so wrong, then can you explain to me how and why and the logic behind what you wrote that it was not intended to be about me? Can you explain why when i post on your post it bothers you enough to bring that up, but why it should not bother me when you did it first???? Can you explain any of these things???? If you can why don't you send me a pm so that we can stop acting like children on a public forum, or if you want you can keep acting (in my eyes) ignorant with your posts. Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

yea, but apparently you want to be my son huh? lol...ridiculous...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

and I may seem combative, but you're probably more so thinking everything that is written MUST be about YOU....I just choose to post because I can. Not because I'm combative--hard headed, a little, but you are probably WAY more so than I. And I actually find this amusing...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

Oh, and maybe Professor Scott can explain what quotes are for and how they're used, because some uneducated folks on here obviously don't know how to use them properly...

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline
Linda and Dai_tx, please stop baiting Jerome. Several people (including me) have posted in this thread that they also choose to stay in a hotel, even though they are welcome at their in-laws home, and that they have good reasons for making that choice. Whether this is an acceptable choice according to the "cultural norms" is for their family in VN to decide. If their family doesn't have a problem with it, then you shouldn't either. To carry on like you are makes it appear like you are just trying to pick a fight. Please let it rest.

If it makes you feel any better, I'll stay at my future mother-in-law's home next time I go to VN. Of course, the hotel is lot closer to Phuong's house than her mother's home on the coast. :blush:

Back on topic, I can recommend the Tam My hotel in the Tan Phu district (not too far from the airport). I'd say it's a high 2 star. It's new (only finished this year), so it's very clean. No breakfast, but you can get a banh mi and ca phe at the street market at the end of the block. Tell Men (the owner) that Anh Jim sent you. He'll definitely try to make you comfortable.

Khach San Tam My

19 Doc Lap

P. Tan Thanh

Q. Tan Phu

(08)38 107176

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

Jerome, you are showing the whole board how much of a ####### you are and how much of adolesent you are in this whole thread. Your are even more immature for going right behind her and following her post when she is obviously trying to bury this topic into the next page. People do so little and it sets you off so easily. I wonder what happens when you and your fiancee fight. You probably come out with some mumbo jumbo and think that you are right all the time.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.