Places to stay HCM

88 posts in this topic

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Look at the pinned thread for HCMC...we've got people listed who are there, going, or thinging about going to VN. Also, there's a post that has good info regarding places to stay...

you should add your stay to that list too! :) How long will you be going for??

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It depends on what you want to spend. If you want something cheap, or expensive, how nice does it have to be for a cheap price, where do you want it to be, in a popular tourist area, or off the beaten path? There are more hotels here than you can shake a stick at. I have been here 3 times and I have stayed in 4 different hotels. The first hotel cost $35 us per night, it had INTERNET and was very professional, we stayed in the VIP part, it is called Thai Ha Huy, it is located at Le Van Sy, district PN, the second trip I stayed at a hotel that cost $15 us per night, it is called Hoa phuong do, it is located same street and district, the 3rd hotel I would not recommend but so far the 4th hotel is doing great and it only cost $11 us per night, same street as well. All of them have wifi and were clean . This hotel offers drinks and food as well as the first one did. The second offered water, but no food. They are all easy access to taxi service and have small mom and pop food services close to the hotel. If you are like me, we do not spend much time in the hotel, so to spend lots of money for a fancy one is a waste. My main concern is close to her home and INTERNET as I have on line classes that I have to stay on top of

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline
Look at the pinned thread for HCMC...we've got people listed who are there, going, or thinging about going to VN. Also, there's a post that has good info regarding places to stay...

you should add your stay to that list too! :) How long will you be going for??

oh cool, i will add my name to it. im going to stay there until after chinese new years so about 3 months

Timeline

wow...3 months is along time...no school or work??? Awesome to be able to hang out with your SO though huh? :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Damn! I'm jealous! 3 months!!!!

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

It depends on what you want to spend. If you want something cheap, or expensive, how nice does it have to be for a cheap price, where do you want it to be, in a popular tourist area, or off the beaten path? There are more hotels here than you can shake a stick at. I have been here 3 times and I have stayed in 4 different hotels. The first hotel cost $35 us per night, it had INTERNET and was very professional, we stayed in the VIP part, it is called Thai Ha Huy, it is located at Le Van Sy, district PN, the second trip I stayed at a hotel that cost $15 us per night, it is called Hoa phuong do, it is located same street and district, the 3rd hotel I would not recommend but so far the 4th hotel is doing great and it only cost $11 us per night, same street as well. All of them have wifi and were clean . This hotel offers drinks and food as well as the first one did. The second offered water, but no food. They are all easy access to taxi service and have small mom and pop food services close to the hotel. If you are like me, we do not spend much time in the hotel, so to spend lots of money for a fancy one is a waste. My main concern is close to her home and INTERNET as I have on line classes that I have to stay on top of

Wait so you are staying in a hotel right now? You said you had a full blown wedding but your wife's family is making you stay in a hotel close to her home not at her home? That's not the way your in-laws should treat you. When I go to my mother in-laws house she sets aside a room for me and my wife. She makes my sister in-law who use to stay in my wife's room with her and makes her sleep somewhere else. When I get there that room is for me and my wife.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Timeline
Wait so you are staying in a hotel right now? You said you had a full blown wedding but your wife's family is making you stay in a hotel close to her home not at her home? That's not the way your in-laws should treat you. When I go to my mother in-laws house she sets aside a room for me and my wife. She makes my sister in-law who use to stay in my wife's room with her and makes her sleep somewhere else. When I get there that room is for me and my wife.

First this has nothing to do with this thread. Second this has nothing to do with the way my inlaws are treating me. They have a full house, and we want our privacy. Yes we could stay at her house, yes they offer it each time I come, but it is our choice to stay in a hotel, this way there is less work for her family, I respect her family and her mother already takes care of 2 aunts, 1 son and also Binh, then when I come she cooks most of the meals for us. I actually think to stay with them is just inconsiderate. Especially if someone had to move to a different room while a quest is there. :angry:

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

Timeline

:yes: This is "norm" in HCMC...family don't let family stay in hotels...they actually think it's rude and inconsiderate and a waste of money. Staying at a hotel gives off the image to family members that you think you're better than them or their living conditions just isn't acceptable. When I go to VN, we're fortunate that my husband has his own room...no need to move anyone out...haha.

First this has nothing to do with this thread. Second this has nothing to do with the way my inlaws are treating me. They have a full house, and we want our privacy. Yes we could stay at her house, yes they offer it each time I come, but it is our choice to stay in a hotel, this way there is less work for her family, I respect her family and her mother already takes care of 2 aunts, 1 son and also Binh, then when I come she cooks most of the meals for us. I actually think to stay with them is just inconsiderate. Especially if someone had to move to a different room while a quest is there. :angry:

First, this has alot to do with the thread...it's appropriately titled "Places to stay in HCM".

Second, Privacy is one thing, but you can't say that it's inconsiderate to stay with them because VN people are VERY accomodating--and I emphasis VERY. VN people will bend over backwards over there to make you feel welcome--that is not an issue. I would think they would want to do it even more so with you since you are literally taking their daughter away to a foreign country (soon). You're her protector in a place where she'll know no one and nothing. While you're in VN (her country) she and her family would want to provide you with the same comfort and security of "HOME". If you want privacy, they have the "nha nghi" that you can rent for CHEAP (10,000-30,000) to get your business on, but to spend 500,000+ ($30) per night on a hotel is outright ridiculous for VN.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

First, this has alot to do with the thread...it's appropriately titled "Places to stay in HCM".

Second, Privacy is one thing, but you can't say that it's inconsiderate to stay with them because VN people are VERY accomodating--and I emphasis VERY. VN people will bend over backwards over there to make you feel welcome--that is not an issue. I would think they would want to do it even more so with you since you are literally taking their daughter away to a foreign country (soon). You're her protector in a place where she'll know no one and nothing. While you're in VN (her country) she and her family would want to provide you with the same comfort and security of "HOME". If you want privacy, they have the "nha nghi" that you can rent for CHEAP (10,000-30,000) to get your business on, but to spend 500,000+ ($30) per night on a hotel is outright ridiculous for VN.

I wouldn't be too hard on him. Phuong and I do the same thing. The home she lives in is her own home - not her parent's home. It has one bedroom, and she lives there with her two teenage kids. In the ward she lives in, foreigners are not permitted to stay in private homes without the permission of the local police, which she says is difficult to get, but she's willing to do it if I want to stay in her home. No matter how accommodating VN people are, it breaks my heart to see her kids sleeping on a straw mat over a concrete floor just so I can sleep in the bedroom. Besides, I want my visits to be a vacation for Phuong and her family as well as for me. I always insist on getting a junior suite at a nice hotel on the Perfume River. The staff there knows me well now, and they treat Phuong and I like royalty, which she really enjoys. :)

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
I wouldn't be too hard on him. Phuong and I do the same thing. The home she lives in is her own home - not her parent's home. It has one bedroom, and she lives there with her two teenage kids. In the ward she lives in, foreigners are not permitted to stay in private homes without the permission of the local police, which she says is difficult to get, but she's willing to do it if I want to stay in her home. No matter how accommodating VN people are, it breaks my heart to see her kids sleeping on a straw mat over a concrete floor just so I can sleep in the bedroom. Besides, I want my visits to be a vacation for Phuong and her family as well as for me. I always insist on getting a junior suite at a nice hotel on the Perfume River. The staff there knows me well now, and they treat Phuong and I like royalty, which she really enjoys. :)

Not true...all she has to do is register you with the local authorities so they don't think you're a robber or anything...all "visitors" must do this--if you stay at a hotel, the reason they take your passport is so they can register your stay with the local authorities.

Although there's a bed in my husband's room, he frequently sleeps on the concrete floor. He, my grandmother, and others do this because they're used to it and feel that sleeping on a bed is more uncomfortable--the accomodating part in giving up one's room/bed is that you're not used to sleeping on a hard surface....

Does Phuong's kids sleep with her in the same bed?? :blink:

But it is nice of you to give Phuong and her family a "vacation" during your vacation...people like feeling special! :)

Edited by lindal24

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Not true...all she has to do is register you with the local authorities so they don't think you're a robber or anything...all "visitors" must do this--if you stay at a hotel, the reason they take your passport is so they can register your stay with the local authorities.

Although there's a bed in my husband's room, he frequently sleeps on the concrete floor. He, my grandmother, and others do this because they're used to it and feel that sleeping on a bed is more uncomfortable--the accomodating part in giving up one's room/bed is that you're not used to sleeping on a hard surface....

But it is nice of you to give Phuong and her family a "vacation" during your vacation...people like feeling special! :)

Depending upon where one stays and the attitude of the local police, one could end up in jail along with the SO if the local guidelines are not followed... It is actually illegal for a foreigner to stay in the same room/home as a VN woman without proper documentation from the police... It would really suck to stay in a hotel or home with ones fiance and the both end up in jail for alleged prostitution charges... Many hotels will not allow a USC and a female VNC to share a room due to the laws in place... they actually require a marriage cert to allow the room to be shared.

Thuy prefers to stay in a hotel for the same reason that Jim provides.. its like a vacation for her... AC .... a big bed... a buffet in the morning (not great food though)... Every time I have stayed there with her we have made sure that we know someone that works at the hotel to avoid any legal problems... we have been stayig in the same hotel in HCMC so many times now that they treat us like Husband and Wife...

I would prefer to stay with her family but she actually wants the holiday treatment..... she deserves it in my book...

This all said... be sure that the hotel understands the situation when booking the room.... in any city in VN. The law is the law and many are not aware of it until they are calling for help to get out of a bad situation.... They are less strict in the south and in major cities but the law covers the entire country. Its great to get a good referal from others here for this very reason...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was told that foreigners were generally not allowed to stay in private homes in her ward. I've also heard there are districts in HCMC that have the same policy. The local police make exceptions, in some cases. I think this is related to the anti-prostitution laws, and the same reason foreigners aren't generally allowed to share a room with VN nationals. The hotel we stay at allows us to share a room because they know we're engaged.

Phuong's son sleeps on the floor in the bedroom. Phuong and her daughter sleep on the bed. When her elder daughter and son-in-law spend the night, her elder daughter and baby granddaughter also sleep on the bed, and her son-in-law sleeps on the floor in the front room. On really hot summer days they build a large tent of mosquito netting in the front room, lay down the mat and a bedspread, and everyone sleeps there.

Phuong wanted me to take a nap with her one day last January. I wasn't tired, so I just stared at the ceiling for an hour listening to music before finally getting up. When I went into the front room I found her daughter curled up into a ball, wrapped in a winter coat and blanket and shivering, trying to sleep on the floor (it was about 60 degrees! :lol: ). I woke her up and told her to sleep with her mother, and she gladly agreed. Her son doesn't seem to have any problems sleeping on the floor.

On my last trip, our "little vacation" turned into 11 people in a large van driving to Hoi An and Da Nang! It was really a blast! :D

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I guess it's a shock for Viet Kieu's for our family members to allow them to stay in hotels like that. It's just our culture and we know how they would react if we were to stay in a hotel when there is a place they could stay and the family could show their hospitality. When I went to my wife's aunt and uncles house in Columbus Georgia in the US I booked a hotel for the weekend because I never really met them and it wasn't my wife's house just to come and welcome ourselves to a bed in their home. When we came there, they automatically asked where our luggage was and wanted us to put it in a bed room they set aside for us before we had even got there. We told them we had booked a hotel down the highway and that we didn't want to be burden to her aunt and uncle but they refused and they said it's nonsense that we stay in a hotel when there is a perfectly good room to sleep in their home. They insisted so much her uncle went out to our car looking for our luggage to bring into their home. When he did that we finally agreed to stay in the home so that we wouldn't insult him and I got on the phone to cancel the reservation to the hotel.

mrc2pmh1445.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.