~PalmTreeGurl~

Easy way to make bread or pita bread?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hey ya peeps! Heres something I googled from Cooks.com BUT Im hoping to find some recipes from yall that might be easier? I dont really have hours in a day to wait on the yeast to rise or whatever. I went to an iraqi families home last year and the mother was making something like pita bread and she already had the ingredients in and was rolling them out, plus she didnt speak english so I couldnt really ask what was the ingredients for hers. Anyone got an easy idea for either bread Egyptian style or pita bread that wouldnt require 3-5 hours of waiting?? thanks! -Tamara

------------

ARABIC BREAD

------------

5 lb. all purpose flour

2 env. dry yeast

5 c. lukewarm water, approximately

2 tbsp. salt

1/2 tsp. sugar; optional

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water. Set aside. Add

sugar at this point.

In a large pan mix flour and salt. Add yeast mixture.

Gradually add the water, mixing and kneading until dough is

smooth. (This dough has to be firm enough to roll with a

rolling pin.) Cover with a towel and put in a warm place

for 1-2 hours or until the dough rises.

Cut dough into sections the size of an orange. Form balls by

tucking the dough underneath the make the round and smooth.

Let rest for 30 minutes between the towels.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out balls to 7 inch

diameter. Let rise for 1 hour covered with cloth. Preheat

oven to 450-500 degrees. Then bake 5-10 minutes until

bottom is light brown. Broil top for 1/2 minute until light

brown.

Makes 20-24 loaves of Arabic Bread.

10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Not sure what Egyptian bread is like but here's my recipe(s) for Moroccan bread(s)

http://marocmama.blogspot.com/search/label/Breads

May 11 '09 - Case Approved 10 yr card in the mail

June - 10 yr card recieved

Feb. 19, 2010 - N-400 Application sent to Phoenix Lockbox

April 3, 2010 - Biometrics

May 17,2010 - Citizenship Test - Minneapolis, MN

July 16, 2010- Retest (writing portion)

October 13, 2010 - Oath Ceremony

Journey Complete!

s-age.png

s-age.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

I made pita bread....once. :innocent:

While I was waiting on the bread, I ran errands. I decided that I would not do it again, since I could buy a bag of bread for a buck... :blush:

Waiting.....Waiting....waiting....waiting....and more waiting..........

Isn't Arabic a language? :devil:

Tamara, I don't think that's the recipe you want because Egyptian bread isn't raised right before it's baked. Maybe, and I don't know for sure, earlier in the process but definately not right before it goes into the oven. Balls of dough are torn off of a bigger piece, rolled, tossed, pushed around so they're round and flat, then baked immediately.

I don't know which recipe you want, but I know this isn't it.

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline

If you're making yeast bread there is no way to get around waiting for it to rise. You might make big batches of it on the weekend in the morning and then run errands while it rises. Otherwise, it is better to just buy it. I've been making lots of bread at home lately from pizza dough to Hamish bread to fry bread with varying levels of success. The fry bread is the only thing that always turns out right. My Hamish bread and pizza dough are rather fickle though. Apparently, if you look at the dough funny or your husband happens to fart while it is rising it just won't come out right.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Well, Adam actually mentioned to me something about yeast, so I googled this but yah IHQ this wasnt the recipe I really wanted but Im not sure what the right one really is. Im kinda winging it off of what Adam is describing to me. I will see if he has a name for it.

IHQ, do you have the recipe for what you just told me??

Edited by ~PalmTreeGurl~
10407819_701840296558511_659086279075738

Well, Adam actually mentioned to me something about yeast, so I googled this but yah IHQ this wasnt the recipe I really wanted but Im not sure what the right one really is. Im kinda winging it off of what Adam is describing to me. I will see if he has a name for it.

IHQ, do you have the recipe for what you just told me??

I don't have a recipe. I spent a lot of time watching while I waited for the bread to bake in a huge blast furnace oven. There is definately a name for it, I just don't remember it.

Filed: Country: Tunisia
Timeline
Hey ya peeps! Heres something I googled from Cooks.com BUT Im hoping to find some recipes from yall that might be easier? I dont really have hours in a day to wait on the yeast to rise or whatever. I went to an iraqi families home last year and the mother was making something like pita bread and she already had the ingredients in and was rolling them out, plus she didnt speak english so I couldnt really ask what was the ingredients for hers. Anyone got an easy idea for either bread Egyptian style or pita bread that wouldnt require 3-5 hours of waiting?? thanks! -Tamara

------------

ARABIC BREAD

------------

5 lb. all purpose flour

2 env. dry yeast

2 tbsp. salt

1/2 tsp. sugar; optional

sugar at this point.

brown.

i replace the regular yeast with "rapid-rise" (fleishman's) in packets or the jar.....it cuts hours off the rise time and tastes the same...

as1cERB0g410010NDMxc2x6fDIwN2xzfHNpbmNlIFwiSSBEb1wiLi4uLi4uLi4u.gif

Filed: Country: Tunisia
Timeline

------------

ARABIC BREAD

------------

5 lb. all purpose flour

2 env. dry yeast

2 tbsp. salt

1/2 tsp. sugar; optional

sugar at this point.

brown.

i replace the regular yeast with "rapid-rise" (fleishman's) in packets or the jar.....it cuts hours off the rise time and tastes the same...

almost forgot....you can add the rapid-rise directly to the flour before mixing the wet and dry ingredients so there's no waiting like the regular yeast to activate in the water/sugar

as1cERB0g410010NDMxc2x6fDIwN2xzfHNpbmNlIFwiSSBEb1wiLi4uLi4uLi4u.gif

Tamara, this site may be just what you need:

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recbread.htm

I think you want the Aish El Shammy, which puffs up while it's baking then un-puffs when it's moved to take it out of the oven. It doesn't look like there's any way around the length of time any of these breads take to make because they all have to rise at some point. Maybe you could make a bunch then freeze the baked bread because it keeps forever in a freezer?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
Tamara, this site may be just what you need:

http://members.cox.net/ahmedheissa/recbread.htm

I think you want the Aish El Shammy, which puffs up while it's baking then un-puffs when it's moved to take it out of the oven. It doesn't look like there's any way around the length of time any of these breads take to make because they all have to rise at some point. Maybe you could make a bunch then freeze the baked bread because it keeps forever in a freezer?

Yeah Tam you want this recipe

Untitled.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Pills B bread flour, mix with 25% whole wheat and wrm water, knead , roll and walla fry

august 2004 I-129 filed (neb)

DEC 2004 Approved

interview: SEOUL

MArch 21st , 2005AR for special security clearance,washington

May 18th tranfer case from Seoul to Islammabad

June 21st security clearance done

June 28th online at the embassy in Islamabad

waiting for paper transfer and the good word

OCTOBER 14TH 2005 Interview Number 2: ISLAMABAD, PK

AR number 2 sent to DOS per Islamabad (2 cable request)

Nov 22 okd updated financial and etc proof accepted / embassy waiting for security cables

dec 20th one cable back waiting on 2nd

Jan 17th.. good word recieved. SECURITY CHECKS ALL CLEAR!!! DOS says embassy to contact him within two weeks!!!!!!

FEBRUARY 10th, 2006 VISA RECIEVED!!! They called him In via phone, stamped his passort and sent him on his way!!!

FEB 28th WELCOME HOME>>>POE CHICAGO did not even look at xray, few questions. one hour wait at Poe

march 10th marriage (nikkah at the islamic center)

aug 2006 AOS interview, cond 2 yr GC arrived september

June 2008 applied for removal of conditions on permant residency aka awaiting for 10 yr greencard

Dec 2008 10yr green card approved, no interview.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just a lil tip, use a pizza stone to cook the bread on. It makes it a little crunchy on the bottom. I've made regular old pizza/bread dough and put it on the stone and it puffed up like pita. The recipe IHQ is a good one.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.