DrayChan

RFE after interview?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hello,

My fiance had her interview today and they gave her a pink slip with 2 boxes checked on it. The boxes state:

1) The interviewing officer requests that the petitioner explain in detail the development of your relationship fromthe time you met the applicant until now.

2)Other: (handwritten) Please explain 1996 criminal charge for "assault" in full detail. Explain any other problems with the police.

I don't have a problem with the first box. What I would like to know is why would they ask for this if I had already sent them a certified copy of my criminal history. I am hoping they are thinking that when they asked my fiance if she knew if I had any run-ins with the law. She said yes, back in 1996. They asked if she knew what for, and she said she didn't remember for sure, but she know I got into trouble then. I was thinking since it was an assault they are wanting to make sure she is aware of my past. Hope that is all it is.

Now the real question, should I have the letter notarized and should I also send another certified copy of my Police Report with this new packet?

Oh, one last one, it says we can come to the embassy and turn it in any time between Mon-Wed, 1pm-3pm.

How if anybody knows might it be before we should know if she is finally approved or not.

Thanks.

Dar

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello,

My fiance had her interview today and they gave her a pink slip with 2 boxes checked on it. The boxes state:

1) The interviewing officer requests that the petitioner explain in detail the development of your relationship fromthe time you met the applicant until now.

2)Other: (handwritten) Please explain 1996 criminal charge for "assault" in full detail. Explain any other problems with the police.

I don't have a problem with the first box. What I would like to know is why would they ask for this if I had already sent them a certified copy of my criminal history. I am hoping they are thinking that when they asked my fiance if she knew if I had any run-ins with the law. She said yes, back in 1996. They asked if she knew what for, and she said she didn't remember for sure, but she know I got into trouble then. I was thinking since it was an assault they are wanting to make sure she is aware of my past. Hope that is all it is.

Now the real question, should I have the letter notarized and should I also send another certified copy of my Police Report with this new packet?

Oh, one last one, it says we can come to the embassy and turn it in any time between Mon-Wed, 1pm-3pm.

How if anybody knows might it be before we should know if she is finally approved or not.

Thanks.

Dar

You are dealing with a very difficult consulate and have asked if you "should" do two very easy and inexpensive things to help in a complicated case. YES. Go to a copy machine and make a copy of the police documents you have. YES. get the letter notarized for free (or very little cost) at your bank.

Never give a difficult consulate the opportunity to reject your information for something simple and easy to do.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

Don't think of this as an RFE. It's a "denial" with an opportunity to overcome the initial denial. Take this very seriously. Obviously, your fiance was not fully informed about your assault charge. That's what IMBRA is about. The evolution of relationship request indicates the interview didn't go well. They have serious doubts the relationship is bona fide. Keep both these things in mind in your response to this denial.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

Don't think of this as an RFE. It's a "denial" with an opportunity to overcome the initial denial. Take this very seriously. Obviously, your fiance was not fully informed about your assault charge. That's what IMBRA is about. The evolution of relationship request indicates the interview didn't go well. They have serious doubts the relationship is bona fide. Keep both these things in mind in your response to this denial.

Thanks for your reply Gary and Alla, I always appreciate your responses. Pushbrk, I was wondering about that, though the embassy had her go through the process of paying for the Visa, could it still be denied. I plan on sending everything they ask and then some. My fiance and I have spoken about this a few times, but it was early in our relationship. I have nothing to hide, as I feel it was the ex-wife trying to get the upper-hand in a child custody battle from back then, all is good now and kids live with me. Again, Thanks for your input.

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

Thanks for your reply Gary and Alla, I always appreciate your responses. Pushbrk, I was wondering about that, though the embassy had her go through the process of paying for the Visa, could it still be denied. I plan on sending everything they ask and then some. My fiance and I have spoken about this a few times, but it was early in our relationship. I have nothing to hide, as I feel it was the ex-wife trying to get the upper-hand in a child custody battle from back then, all is good now and kids live with me. Again, Thanks for your input.

The fee is a visa application fee paid whether granted or denied. Look over the blue paper and see if you don't find the word "ineligible". Trust me, this is a 221g denial with an opportunity to "overcome" the initial denial, so you would be wise to treat it that way.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Sounds like you should also have your fiancee do a letter stating she is aware of the reason for your assault charge.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

The fee is a visa application fee paid whether granted or denied. Look over the blue paper and see if you don't find the word "ineligible". Trust me, this is a 221g denial with an opportunity to "overcome" the initial denial, so you would be wise to treat it that way.

Pushbrk, What we got was a pink slip with many actions items listed on it. The first paragraph states, "This office is unable to finish processing your immigrant visa at this time. Please supply the information indicated below." It only has the 2 items checked as stated above. Then at the bottom of the page it is checked in the area to hand deliver the paperwork anytime from Mon-Wed from 1-3. Dakine, thanks, that's not a bad idea. I will have to ask her to do that.

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

Pushbrk, What we got was a pink slip with many actions items listed on it. The first paragraph states, "This office is unable to finish processing your immigrant visa at this time. Please supply the information indicated below." It only has the 2 items checked as stated above. Then at the bottom of the page it is checked in the area to hand deliver the paperwork anytime from Mon-Wed from 1-3. Dakine, thanks, that's not a bad idea. I will have to ask her to do that.

Ok, but I'd still take it very seriously. The letter explaining her understanding of your criminal record in detail is a great idea.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
Hello,

Thanks.

Dar

Ok, but I'd still take it very seriously. The letter explaining her understanding of your criminal record in detail is a great idea.

I don't think I've said it yet, but THANKS to everybody here and this website. Without everybodies help, even when I ask stupid questions, has been great. I can always expect to get very educated answers here. Now I will try to return the deed to someone else in need. Thanks again.

Dar

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.