RingoRiver

Previous social security number

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey all,

My fiance was issued a SS# when she was previously living in America as a student.

She has since been living back in Japan for many years.

On the K-1 application- we put "none" for her SS# on the documents. I guess she didn't realize that once you are isssued a SS#, it is for life, whether you leave the country and come back or not. (Correct?)

And honestly I just wasn't thinking about it when I prepared the forms. I didn't consider that she probably had a SS# issued to her when she was living here before. (which was before I knew her)

What do you think? Will this cause a problem with the application?

She doesn't remember what her number was either. Does anyone have any ideas on what the implications of this would be?

(I tried to find previous posts in the forums discussing this but was unable to.)

Thanks!

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Osaka/Kobe, Japan

I-129F Sent : 2009-08-14

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-08-20

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-10-26

Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 67 days from your NOA1 date.

夏の夜

思い出すのは

君のキス

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You are correct, your SSN stays with you for life.

She could probably find the number on any of her school documents, etc. from when she was in the U.S.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Tax returns (1040NR and 8843) and transcripts from college would help, too.

Immigration Process (DCF Japan)

08/06/2008 I-130 petition at Tokyo, Japan

08/13/2008 I-130 approved

|

| Waited until we were ready to move back

|

07/13/2009 IV interview at Tokyo, Japan

07/15/2009 IV(IR-1) in hand

Post-DCF

07/29/2009 POE at Las Vegas

08/17/2009 GC(10yrs) received

Click here for the detailed timeline.

Done with USCIS until

- naturalization in May 2012 or

- GC replacement in February 2019

CXmLm7.png

Timeline

So any opinions on the fact we didn't list her SS# on our K1 application?

I'm a little worried about it.

Event Date

RFE Reply(s) :

夏の夜

思い出すのは

君のキス

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hey all,

My fiance was issued a SS# when she was previously living in America as a student.

She has since been living back in Japan for many years.

On the K-1 application- we put "none" for her SS# on the documents. I guess she didn't realize that once you are isssued a SS#, it is for life, whether you leave the country and come back or not. (Correct?)

And honestly I just wasn't thinking about it when I prepared the forms. I didn't consider that she probably had a SS# issued to her when she was living here before. (which was before I knew her)

What do you think? Will this cause a problem with the application?

She doesn't remember what her number was either. Does anyone have any ideas on what the implications of this would be?

(I tried to find previous posts in the forums discussing this but was unable to.)

Thanks!

It will not be a problem with the petition. She can offer to change it at the interview, but it is not a material item that will make any difference.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Thanks Gary! That's reassuring.

So do you think at any point in the process it will become an issue? I guess maybe just after she receives the Visa and comes here we will need to go to the Social Security office and apply for a new card (with the same number as previously issued)?

Event Date

RFE Reply(s) :

夏の夜

思い出すのは

君のキス

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

So do you think at any point in the process it will become an issue? I guess maybe just after she receives the Visa and comes here we will need to go to the Social Security office and apply for a new card (with the same number as previously issued)?

No. Except that she will need eventually to find that number, she will not get a new one, they are issued for life. an SSN is not required for the AOS, but it is required for such things as bank accounts, insurance policies, etc. I would imagine the SSA can look it up for her. When she arrives you can go to an SS office and show her ID and they can get the number for you. Until then it really is not an issue or material importance. The card isn't even so important, I lost mine decades ago and haven't needed it yet. Alla put hers in her document folder and hasn't needed it since. The number is the important thing.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

No. Except that she will need eventually to find that number, she will not get a new one, they are issued for life. an SSN is not required for the AOS, but it is required for such things as bank accounts, insurance policies, etc. I would imagine the SSA can look it up for her. When she arrives you can go to an SS office and show her ID and they can get the number for you. Until then it really is not an issue or material importance. The card isn't even so important, I lost mine decades ago and haven't needed it yet. Alla put hers in her document folder and hasn't needed it since. The number is the important thing.

For some reason the Wisconsin DMV requires the card to issue an original license. So you might need to order a replacement card at some point for something. But Gary and Alla are right, the number is going to be used far more often then the card.

- Justin and Masako

"The World is Open. Are You?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.