Shub

What to do with a green card I no longer need?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Shub,

my point condensed: you can get the 10-yr. card if you and your wife file jointly, and you are present to do the biometrics. It's unlikely you will have an interview.

After you get the 10 year GC in January 2010, if I remember correctly, you file for an reentry permit. That gives you until January of 2011 as a permanent resident, legally. Do you really know with absolute certainty, now, in 2009, that you and the Misses are still happily living together in Switzerland?

If your crystal ball is blurry right now, at least you give yourself another year of wiggle room. Is it worth the $545 plus a flight to the US? Only you can decide that.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Now I see what you're saying. I hadn't thought of it that way. I will have to think about it then.

Thank you.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
If I leave the US before my green card expires with no intention to maintain my PR status, what do I do with the green card (as in, the physical card itself) ?

Must I inform USCIS? Must I return the card, or simply destroy it maybe?

It just seems to me like a bad idea to up and leave and not tell anybody. I realize they'll know that I left anyway, but if/when I come back to reapply for permanent residence somewhere down the line, I don't want any trouble then.

For the record, I'm married to a US citizen but we're moving to my country and my 2-year green card will expire this January.

Not sure if the law has changed but many years ago I finished my green card application in Switzerland. Find out if you could file for the permanent green card from CH. This is what I did. Granted it was a long time ago but you should find out.

Good luck.

We are also thinking on going back to CH in a few years but probably after the two years.

ESoll

I agree with TracyTN - at least try to get your 10 year GC then you keep traveling back and forth (you have to bite the bullet for this one) - if you are 100% certain you will never come back to the US, then do what you have in mind.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline
If I leave the US before my green card expires with no intention to maintain my PR status, what do I do with the green card (as in, the physical card itself) ?

Must I inform USCIS? Must I return the card, or simply destroy it maybe?

It just seems to me like a bad idea to up and leave and not tell anybody. I realize they'll know that I left anyway, but if/when I come back to reapply for permanent residence somewhere down the line, I don't want any trouble then.

For the record, I'm married to a US citizen but we're moving to my country and my 2-year green card will expire this January.

Do you have a job already lined up in your home country for both of you? If not, why don't you hang in there for another year and apply for citizenship so you don't have to deal with USCIS ever again. Especially since you think you may want to come back to the states in the future. You only have a year left and I'm sure you don't really want to deal with USCIS all over again in the near future when you decide to come back.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree with bob, however if you do decide to give up your green card this is a proper way to go about it. You need to use your green card to leave the country and once your home in switz you simply go to the embassy and talk with an officer for one or two mins and hand it in. You can also simply destory it and not go to the embassy. But no matter what you should wait until you have left the country to get rid of it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
I agree with bob, however if you do decide to give up your green card this is a proper way to go about it. You need to use your green card to leave the country and once your home in switz you simply go to the embassy and talk with an officer for one or two mins and hand it in. You can also simply destory it and not go to the embassy. But no matter what you should wait until you have left the country to get rid of it.

Is it a fact now that you can't pursue a GC outside the US? This is the way I got mine via the US Embassy in CH, way back.

ESoll

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Is it a fact now that you can't pursue a GC outside the US? This is the way I got mine via the US Embassy in CH, way back.

ESoll

As of today the only way to get a greencard "overseas" so to speak (you would receive it after getting to the u.s.) would be the cr1 or ir1 (or dcf which is the cr1 visa, only put on the fast track). Because they have been married so long they could do dcf which would result in an ir1 visa in a matter of weeks. But the main concern here is that it would delay citz by three years. Most people simply want to get to the citz part so they can get rid of all the immigration trouble. If that really isn't a concern just forget it and start over via dcf when your ready.

Edited by freetv

Switzerland is a lovely country!

I believe in order to apply for a citizenship you have to be in the U.S at least 36 months ( total)during your eligibility period. I agree with others if you like to file for I-751 and get a 10 year GC. It is also possible to file for I-485 all over again with your wife if you ever decide to come back..

as far as Switzerland, jobs are videly available compare to U.S..... Would you consider divorcing your wife and taking me with you????? (I am just kidding,....)

Good luck!!!

September 5th 2007 Married in the U.S

October 15th 2007 documents were recieved

Nov 25th 2007 biometrics

Dec 17 2007 work authorization

Feb 26 2008 interview and approval

25 Nov 2009 I-751

27 Nov 2009 NOA

11 Dec 2009 Biometrics (early bio)

31 Dec 2009 touch (web site indicates last update)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.