Freda /Alejandro

2 questions about I-129F

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am getting ready to fill out the I-129F and have 2 questions-

1. One question asks if I have ever been arrested or convicted of domestic violence even if records have been cleared.

I was arrested (because it was a mandatory arrest in NY where I was living at the time) on a complaint filed by my ex. I was not even in town when the complaint was filed. Any way I made and appointment arreast and plead not guilty and had an automatic court dismissal. (It was not for a violent crime-claims of shoving into a wall). Does that count as something I need to list in that section. All arrest records were cleared, but I am afraid if they come across it somewhere, they will think I am trying to hide something. Should I just list it with the letter from the courts clearing me of the charges?

2. Another section asks for my fiancee's children to be listed. We are not applying for them to come at this time. They currently live with his ex-wife and that is something we are going to look at after he is here and settled. Do I still list them on the form?

Thanks for all your help

5/01/2010- Mailed I-129-F
5/03/2010- I-129F received at Vermont processing center
5/04/2010- NOA 1 (received on 5/10/2010)
5/06/2010- Check cashed by USCIS
6/22/2010- NOA 2 (received on 6/26/2010)
6/24/2010- NVC received application
6/28/2010- Application sent to Lima embassy
7/07/2010- Consulate Received Application
7/09/2010- Pkt 3 sent to fiancee' (which he still hasn't received)
7/15/2010- E-mailed embassy & got response back- they said to watch for pkt in mail and gave me inteview date
8/16/2010- Interview- need an additional police certificate from Costa Rica :( so not approved today, but once they receive certificate will mail visa :)
8/16/2010-Trip to Costa Rica embassy for help with certificate- Let the games begin
8/17/2010-Trip to Notary, trip to Minister Relacciones Exteriores, trip to Notary collage
8/18/2010-Back to notary collage, back to MRE, back to Costa Rica embassy
8/19/2010-Back to MRE
8/20/2010-Back to Costa Rica embassy- whew,finally, "stamp collection" on paper complete and can now attempt to get actual police certificate needed

11/01/2010-all paperwork in - Approved

12/12/2010-He arrived here!! :joy:

1/11/2011-married (L)

1/14/2015-Spouse applied for citizenship

3/27/2015-biometrics appointment

5/6/2015-interview

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

1. One question asks if I have ever been arrested or convicted of domestic violence even if records have been cleared.

I was arrested (because it was a mandatory arrest in NY where I was living at the time) on a complaint filed by my ex. I was not even in town when the complaint was filed. Any way I made and appointment arreast and plead not guilty and had an automatic court dismissal. (It was not for a violent crime-claims of shoving into a wall). Does that count as something I need to list in that section. All arrest records were cleared, but I am afraid if they come across it somewhere, they will think I am trying to hide something. Should I just list it with the letter from the courts clearing me of the charges?

2. Another section asks for my fiancee's children to be listed. We are not applying for them to come at this time. They currently live with his ex-wife and that is something we are going to look at after he is here and settled. Do I still list them on the form?

Thanks for all your help

For ultimate success in this process, either you or somebody you hire absolutely MUST read carefully and interpret literally.

1. The I-129F does NOT ask about "arrests", only "convictions". Based on what you wrote, you have no convictions.

2. The I-129F asks for the names of children if any, so give them the truth, always. You'll be asked later if the children plan to apply for visas.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks for all your help

For ultimate success in this process, either you or somebody you hire absolutely MUST read carefully and interpret literally.

1. The I-129F does NOT ask about "arrests", only "convictions". Based on what you wrote, you have no convictions.

2. The I-129F asks for the names of children if any, so give them the truth, always. You'll be asked later if the children plan to apply for visas.

Pushbrk is right on as usual. :thumbs:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thanks for all your help

2. Make sure that you state ALL your kids on the forms correctly. If you dont, then it will affect your chances of filing for them.

1. Were you convicted or fingerprinted? if not then you should answer N/A; P.S. It is always good to state the truth.

JNR

Timeline

Thanks for all your help

2. Make sure that you state ALL your kids on the forms correctly. If you dont, then it will affect your chances of filing for them.

1. Were you convicted or fingerprinted? if not then you should answer N/A; P.S. It is always good to state the truth.

The reason you answer the kids question with the truth is the same as for any other question. It doesn't matter whether there's any intention for them to apply for visas.

Fingerprinted is not convicted. If no conviction, the answer is no.

Again, read carefully and interpret literally. Members who can't do that have no business answering questions that impact the future happiness of those doing the asking.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

Thanks to all for your answers.

I was fingerprinted but not convicted.

And I do want to list that he has the children because will eventually file for them, but not now. Need to work things out with his ex for that.

Thank you again to everyone, you have helped a lot!

5/01/2010- Mailed I-129-F
5/03/2010- I-129F received at Vermont processing center
5/04/2010- NOA 1 (received on 5/10/2010)
5/06/2010- Check cashed by USCIS
6/22/2010- NOA 2 (received on 6/26/2010)
6/24/2010- NVC received application
6/28/2010- Application sent to Lima embassy
7/07/2010- Consulate Received Application
7/09/2010- Pkt 3 sent to fiancee' (which he still hasn't received)
7/15/2010- E-mailed embassy & got response back- they said to watch for pkt in mail and gave me inteview date
8/16/2010- Interview- need an additional police certificate from Costa Rica :( so not approved today, but once they receive certificate will mail visa :)
8/16/2010-Trip to Costa Rica embassy for help with certificate- Let the games begin
8/17/2010-Trip to Notary, trip to Minister Relacciones Exteriores, trip to Notary collage
8/18/2010-Back to notary collage, back to MRE, back to Costa Rica embassy
8/19/2010-Back to MRE
8/20/2010-Back to Costa Rica embassy- whew,finally, "stamp collection" on paper complete and can now attempt to get actual police certificate needed

11/01/2010-all paperwork in - Approved

12/12/2010-He arrived here!! :joy:

1/11/2011-married (L)

1/14/2015-Spouse applied for citizenship

3/27/2015-biometrics appointment

5/6/2015-interview

Timeline
Thanks to all for your answers.

I was fingerprinted but not convicted.

And I do want to list that he has the children because will eventually file for them, but not now. Need to work things out with his ex for that.

Thank you again to everyone, you have helped a lot!

Regardless of whether you ever have any intention of the children immigrating THE REASON you answer truthfully is that to lie has severe consequences, not just for the children but for your own case. Always answer accurately and truthfully.

You are not being asked about arrests or fingerprinting but later the foreign visa applicant will be so it's important that you read carefully, interpret literally and answer accurately. You are not being asked if the beneficiary's children intend to immigrate. You are simply being asked to list their names and other information. Failure to grasp this concept can doom your visa process.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.