Kittyfang

Does USCIS call your past landlords?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys! I have a nice little question for your collective brains.

As some of you may know, we are going to file for AoS soon (we haven't borrowed the money yet, we are waiting on my birth certificate to get here first). However, I have been reading the forms and instructions.

Now, I wonder. On one form, not sure which one, they ask my past addresses for the past 5 years. The thing is this. 3-5 years ago, I lived with my ex in Montreal. I left him and moved in with a friend on a military base in Canada. I was there for about 2-3 months. We then got into a fight and I moved in, for 2-3 weeks, with someone I was dating. I then found a place of my own. It was a rented house and I was sharing it with someone else. I beleive I stayed the for about 5-6 months.

Now, is all this moving going to raise eye brows at USCIS? Will they care if I lived on a military base? And do they activelly check where you lived at (call landlord and so on and so forth)? I'm asking this last question because my room mate and I got into a small fight when I left to come visit. I owed her some money that I left on a table. She then emailed me, saying that it wasn't there. The thing is that, at that moment, she had a guy living with her and I know I left money for her. I just think he took it. She threatened to call her lawyers, etc.. but once I stopped replying (because she was just getting crazier with every new email she sent), she didn't contact me again.

Also, and this is the tough part. I was paying by the month. No lease. He was very lapsed about collecting his rent and we could go for months without having to pay him. He would then show up and collect the needed months. now, before I left, I had around $800 for the last two months that I lived there. I had left a note to my roommate to give the money to him (I know some of you are just aching to tell me that was stupid, but refrain, I know it is now. :) ) My guess is that she never gave it to him. Further more, she sent me childish emails, almost taunting me about the fact (she never admitted it) that she took my money.

Now, again, will they ask about that?

Adjustment of Status

11/03/10 ------- AoS (I-130/I-485) Package mailed out (Priority Mail)

11/07/10 ------- AoS Package received and singed for

11/10/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (emails)

11/12/10 ------- NOA1 received for I-130, I-485 and I-765 (hard copies)

11/12/10 ------- Touches on I-130, I-485 and I-765

11/19/10 ------- Biometrics appointment letter received

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/13/10 ------- Biometrics done

12/16/10 ------- EAD card in production (email)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

12/24/10 ------- Received EAD in the mail

12/27/10 ------- Applied for SSN

12/31/10 ------- Received Interview letter

01/03/11 ------- Received SSN card in the mail

01/07/11 ------- Mailed out response to RFE (I-693)

01/15/11 ------- Email confirming USCIS received RFE response

01/31/11 ------- Approved!

Pre-Adjustment of Status:

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

10/10 ------- USCIS Medical Done

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

While anything is possible, I think the most realistic answer is 'no'.

The information about your addresses is used for security check purposes as much as for a biographical history. I have never heard of anyone - especially a Canadian - being questioned about where they lived while in Canada, nor have I ever heard of USCIS contacting previous landlords. They won't have the name and address of the landlord to contact, for one thing - that information isn't required - plus, I strongly suspect that there are privacy issues involved, as well as time and cost issues. Going on a 'fishing trip' to try and find incriminating evidence unless there are a lot of red flags pointing in that area is usually a waste of time and resources, both of which USCIS have in short supply. On the extremely off, off chance that you are ever asked about why you had so many addresses in such a short time you just honestly answer that you were between permanent homes and living with friends and when things didn't work out, you moved on. Quite honestly though, I think the chances of anyone in immigration ever asking you about this is probably greater than the chance of being struck by lightning. :)

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline
While anything is possible, I think the most realistic answer is 'no'.

The information about your addresses is used for security check purposes as much as for a biographical history. I have never heard of anyone - especially a Canadian - being questioned about where they lived while in Canada, nor have I ever heard of USCIS contacting previous landlords. They won't have the name and address of the landlord to contact, for one thing - that information isn't required - plus, I strongly suspect that there are privacy issues involved, as well as time and cost issues. Going on a 'fishing trip' to try and find incriminating evidence unless there are a lot of red flags pointing in that area is usually a waste of time and resources, both of which USCIS have in short supply. On the extremely off, off chance that you are ever asked about why you had so many addresses in such a short time you just honestly answer that you were between permanent homes and living with friends and when things didn't work out, you moved on. Quite honestly though, I think the chances of anyone in immigration ever asking you about this is probably greater than the chance of being struck by lightning. :)

hehe Thank you for this wealth of information! :thumbs:

Now that I read it, I think it was pretty silly of me to wonder something like that. To be totally honest VJers have been so helpful in helping me figure out my case, what I need, what to expect, that I feel very secure filing for AoS... Too secure! There is a nagging little voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me that "it is when you feel content and sure that trouble rears its ugly head". :lol:

Adjustment of Status

12/06/10 ------- RFE for I-693 (I think the issue is that it was not signed. Called USCIS and will receive a letter in a few days explaining)

12/20/10 ------- Received "Letter of Explanation" for RFE (Service Request to expedite my case. Called USCIS and was told to ignore that and just send in response to RFE.)

12/22/10 ------- Touch (Email for Post Decision Activity on EAD saying that a letter of approval has been mailed out)

2006 -------- Met Online

02/07 ------- Visited him in the U.S. for what was suppose to be a few weeks (Came in with birth certificate and health card. Health card expired a few months after)

08/07 ------- Decided to get married because we didn't want to be apart (in the U.S.)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I completely agree with Kathryn41.

Don't worry!!!! :star:

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Timeline
I completely agree with Kathryn41.

Don't worry!!!! :star:

Thank you!

I have to be honest and say that VJers play a HUGE part in me being calm. They are so helpful/knowledgeable and just plain understanding. Many "immigration help" forums seems to be populated only by xenophobic people. It's an honor and privilege to be able to get help here.

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Timeline
Yep, purely for the security check.

I have this fear that they will run the check and find that some innocent thing I've done has had catastrophic consequences that I'm not even aware of and that I am on an international wanted list. :bonk:

Adjustment of Status

2006 -------- Met Online

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I don't think things are that bad as they seem to be.

If you haven't committed any felonies-don't worry about it!

Your Canadian credit report might be checked out only and only if you apply for a credit card or house loan. But never for immigration purposes.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hello Visa Journey Members,

I would like to chime in for just a moment regarding address checks. This may not apply to the member worried about checking with old landlords because the person is more concerned about past addresses from a couple of years ago. My point is related to those individuals who have mail going to several different addresses or have mail from other adults of the opposite sex coming to their offical addresses since their time of application. Case in point, I personally know someone who just went to his embassy interview but was told when he got there that his American fiancee has mail coming to her address with another man's name on it, but with his SAME last name. He explained to them that the man was his brother and that his brother was using his fiancee's address because the bank he has accounts with in the USA required a US address. Despite having the same last name, the Embassy told him to come back in four months with a letter from his brother verifying that he was his brother along with a certified birth certificate testifying to this fact as well. He was stunned. No where in the packet even indicated that the fiance abroad even had a brother or had mail coming to America. It was not a secret and it is not against the law to have an account in another country. They were just concerned that they were applying for a fiance visa but a man and woman was supposedly living together already. By the way, this was the only mail (from the bank with his name on it) coming to her address.

From what they can figure out, somewhere along the way, USCIS or the NVC does do name checks with address checks. They are both stunned that an address and name check were done. My American friend has been at this same address for many years. The check may have been done randomly. I cannot imagine the government having this kind of time over such a frivolous matter.

For those of you probably thinking that the application packet must have had red flags all over it, actually this is not the case. It was a pretty straight forward case. In fact, the packet was only at the NVC for a few days. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

As for being stuck in NVC, may we all get out soon. Take care.

Edited by AkuaAbeku

Akua, Faithfully Waiting on the Lord

• 1 year later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.