tackymonkey

"a DCF What if" - I-864 & a Job Offer

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Well I think for most consulates there is indeed a 'holding' process - whereby you can bring in the info they have requested (if that is what you mean) - I don't think they will throw your application out because you show up with, what they deem to be, insufficient proof of support - however then the decision on what is acceptable is completely in their court - which technically it is of course regardless.

They may request that you return to the U.S. and show x number of months of pay stubs before resubmitting your I-864 and to jump up and down three times.

I completely hear what you are saying about not wanting to be apart from your Husband, I would be exactly the same way and if in your shoes it would be a deal breaker in that I would not be willing to go to the U.S. without him (but hey, that's me : ) - so would be looking at every possible avenue.

That said, it would appear that without that job, your chances for denial are pretty good. So you have two choices:

- Have him go to the interview with your job offer and see if it flies, risking having them put even stronger stipulations on what you must do (ie: you return to the states, start the job and show us x number of pay slips, for instance)

- Go to the U.S. now, start the job and have at least a couple of payslips to show at interview time.

Neither is a great option - this is a toughie (as you already know).

I do wish you good luck though!

Hi,

Well I think for most consulates there is indeed a 'holding' process - whereby you can bring in the info they have requested (if that is what you mean) - I don't think they will throw your application out because you show up with, what they deem to be, insufficient proof of support - however then the decision on what is acceptable is completely in their court - which technically it is of course regardless.

They may request that you return to the U.S. and show x number of months of pay stubs before resubmitting your I-864 and to jump up and down three times.

I completely hear what you are saying about not wanting to be apart from your Husband, I would be exactly the same way and if in your shoes it would be a deal breaker in that I would not be willing to go to the U.S. without him (but hey, that's me : ) - so would be looking at every possible avenue.

That said, it would appear that without that job, your chances for denial are pretty good. So you have two choices:

- Have him go to the interview with your job offer and see if it flies, risking having them put even stronger stipulations on what you must do (ie: you return to the states, start the job and show us x number of pay slips, for instance)

- Go to the U.S. now, start the job and have at least a couple of payslips to show at interview time.

Neither is a great option - this is a toughie (as you already know).

I do wish you good luck though!

Arg, this process seems so arbitrary. Yes, I guess it is time for me to make a choice :-(

Thank you so much for all your help and support!

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

We filed in Denmark. Similiar situation. I couldn't use a co-sponsor so I had to go on my income. Luckily, I secured a job in the US before returning, but wasn't scheduled to start the job until only a few days before his interview. I just put in the income section what my income would be under the new job, and sent a letter from my new employer stating my start date and my salary. I assume this was sufficient because they never even looked at it during the interview, they just accepted what I put on the I-864 as prima facie evidence. In fact, I still have the original letter because my husband brought it back to the US with him :)

My advice, accept the job, then start and send a letter to your spouse from your employer, just in case, and list your income from the new job on the I-864. You shouldn't need to wait for a check stub, but if, in the end, they want it, they will just issue an RFE (request for evidence) asking for additional documentation, and you can submit it when you get your first check.

We filed in Denmark. Similiar situation. I couldn't use a co-sponsor so I had to go on my income. Luckily, I secured a job in the US before returning, but wasn't scheduled to start the job until only a few days before his interview. I just put in the income section what my income would be under the new job, and sent a letter from my new employer stating my start date and my salary. I assume this was sufficient because they never even looked at it during the interview, they just accepted what I put on the I-864 as prima facie evidence. In fact, I still have the original letter because my husband brought it back to the US with him :)

My advice, accept the job, then start and send a letter to your spouse from your employer, just in case, and list your income from the new job on the I-864. You shouldn't need to wait for a check stub, but if, in the end, they want it, they will just issue an RFE (request for evidence) asking for additional documentation, and you can submit it when you get your first check.

Hi there,

Great to hear your story!!!

Yes, that sounds exactly like my situation. I gave them a job offer letter with the initial I-130, but it was an offer letter rather than an "already employed" letter. Perhaps that´s why they said you "may need a co-sponsor" when I first filed (i.e. they have no proof I would actually begin the job unless I go to the US first). I am supposed to start on November 12th, and his interview is likely going to fall right on or just days after my start date based on our timeline.

So, you just stated the income for the new job on line 23 of the I-864 as "current" income with no mention that you had just started the job or anything else? Sorry for the rather dumb question, I just want to make sure I do this 100% right :-) I am so paranoid I´ll screw it up.

Also, I have already warned my future employer and they are wondering exactly what this "currently employed" letter should look like and say so they can draft one up. Any clues? I don´t want my employer to use words or statements that cause red flags.

Anyway, thank you kindly!

As a secong note. I hope that I as well am lucky like you and they don´t decide that becasue I´ve only had the job for a few days or maximum a few weeks that I don´t still have to wait and work even longer so I can then submit many months worth of paystubs and wait for my husband to come many months later :crying:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.