sweetFM

changing family name in ssn

9 posts in this topic

My ssn is still in my maiden name. Can I change my maiden name in my ssn by just presenting my EAD card? or I still have to wait for the green card?

Thank you.

Edited by sweetFM

N-400 Application for Naturalization

September 21, 2012 - N-400 packet sent
September 24, 2012 - Check cashed
September 26, 2012 - NOA 1 received
October 01, 2012 - Biometrics letter received
October 26, 2012 - Biometrics appt @ 11am
March 1, 2013 - Oathtaking. US citizen finally!!!

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."

wgto58qj1o5xq.png

Didn't work for me-you have to make sure you have some form of evidence from homeland security which post dates the date on your I-94 otherwise they can't issue you a ssn in ur maiden name cos they have no proof that you are here legally. If you have your EAD, bring it with you.

I went to the ss office today and was able to change my maiden name to my married name using my ead and marriage certificate. Thank you guys. :thumbs:

N-400 Application for Naturalization

September 21, 2012 - N-400 packet sent
September 24, 2012 - Check cashed
September 26, 2012 - NOA 1 received
October 01, 2012 - Biometrics letter received
October 26, 2012 - Biometrics appt @ 11am
March 1, 2013 - Oathtaking. US citizen finally!!!

"You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly."

wgto58qj1o5xq.png

We just went to SSA to change a name.. and they should go to DHS office to change the name.. I called SSA and after 29 min on hold they told me that the name change can be done only after DHS office changes the name in VISA. Just made an appointment to INS for this afternoon.. will let you guys know how it will turn out. In theory they are correct.. After the marriage even the DL wont ve bale to be in the brides new name, because the DOT/DMV computer asks permission with DHS office. And that happened to me yesterday. The Dl will be issued in the name that's on the visa. I assume the AOS with sent marriage certificate will change the last name at DHS automaticaly, and trigger the chain of releases in DMV and SSA.

EXAMINE WHAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE IMPOSSIBLE, THEN CHANGE YOUR BELIEF !!!

Our Timeline

AOS

03/31/2010 AOS packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

06/28/2010 Welcome to America Letter in Mail Box :-)

05/26/2012 ROC packet sent to California.

Just came back.. Under F-129, the name change cannot happen, until the visa holder files for AOS and gets the Green card.

Thats what i just been told. :-(

EXAMINE WHAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE IMPOSSIBLE, THEN CHANGE YOUR BELIEF !!!

Our Timeline

AOS

03/31/2010 AOS packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

06/28/2010 Welcome to America Letter in Mail Box :-)

05/26/2012 ROC packet sent to California.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I am trying to change my last name. I already have a ss card.

I read these posts and really confused.

If I have ID, DL, SSC with my maiden name then under what name should I file all forms like I-130, I-485, I-765 etc ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.