kylejb

Is Elana's Model considered a Agency

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Fiancee finally received her packet today and there is a form in there asking if we met thru an Agency. Well, we did met thru a dating website called Elana's Models, but there was no money paid to them (other than me joining the website) to setup any meeting, or "finders" fee or anything. So just curious if others have had this experience and how they have answered this question. Just want to make sure that we answer it correctly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I do not have an answer, i am just posting because I will be in the same situation soon. I met Katya through the very same website. On the I-129F form (Question 19) I did indicate that we met through such a service, and wrote down the phone # and address off of the website.

06/05/08 - First meeting on dating Website

05/04/09 - First Face to Face meeting in Vladivostok

07/06/09 - I-129F delivered to CSC via UPS

07/09/09 - NOA1 Received

07/12/09 - Touched

10/02/09 - NOA2 Notification

10/05/09 - NOA2 Hard Copy

10/15/09 - NVC Receipt

10/26/09 - MOW Receipt

12/07/09 - Interview Successful!!

12/12/09 - Entry to USA

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline
Fiancee finally received her packet today and there is a form in there asking if we met thru an Agency. Well, we did met thru a dating website called Elana's Models, but there was no money paid to them (other than me joining the website) to setup any meeting, or "finders" fee or anything. So just curious if others have had this experience and how they have answered this question. Just want to make sure that we answer it correctly.

Answer Yes. It is a dating site.

Timeline

I believe the question is not "Is it a dating site?" But rather, "is it an international marriage broker?" Although this site appears to be oriented towards international dating, I don't believe that it is an international marriage broker. Although it can't hurt to write it down (and I would recommend it since you will eventually have to have a story about how you met) it isn't an international marriage broker.

They just helped you meet. You might have both been Russians or both Americans or both from Fiji, for that matter. It isn't a company that helps you marry internationally. It's a company that helps you meet people, some of which may be in other countries. The fact that the site is clearly oriented towards international dating complicates things and makes it so you might want to write it down. But in order to be an international marriage broker, you have to do more than help people exchange email addresses.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I met Alla through EM also. I stated on my I-129F (Question 19?) that I did meet through an agency, which to my reading of the regulations, does qualify.

The specific clause that made me believe it qualifies is that I did pay money to receive contact information. We can post our profiles for free, but to obtain the lady's email address, we had to join, which meant pay money.

Alla will state that we did meet through them and we'll let them tell us back that it doesn't qualify.

I have never read about anyone's case being denied because of stating like I have above.

I believe the question is not "Is it a dating site?" But rather, "is it an international marriage broker?" Although this site appears to be oriented towards international dating, I don't believe that it is an international marriage broker. Although it can't hurt to write it down (and I would recommend it since you will eventually have to have a story about how you met) it isn't an international marriage broker.

They just helped you meet. You might have both been Russians or both Americans or both from Fiji, for that matter. It isn't a company that helps you marry internationally. It's a company that helps you meet people, some of which may be in other countries. The fact that the site is clearly oriented towards international dating complicates things and makes it so you might want to write it down. But in order to be an international marriage broker, you have to do more than help people exchange email addresses.

This is all true, but as I stated in my post above, there is a clause that says something like if you paid money for contact information then it is deemed as one.

We will state that we met through this agency. It is the truth and we must be truthful.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Hmm.. well, I didn't think they were an agency, but it doesn't matter now. Too late to make any changes. I will just tell fiancee to answer yes on her form and then she can explain that we exchanged email addresses and went from there.

Has anyone ever been asked about Elena's during an interview? If so, what quesitons?

The answer is a definite yes. They're an agency and an international marriage broker. I think there's even an IMBRA section on her website if I recall correctly.

Well, didn't realize that question 19 meant that.. not much I can do about that now. I will just have fiancee answer yes on her questionaire and then explain that we exchanged email addresses. Hope we are ok with this.. would really be sad for something so little to stand in the way. They really didn't do anything except give me an email addresses. That was it.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hmm.. well, I didn't think they were an agency, but it doesn't matter now. Too late to make any changes. I will just tell fiancee to answer yes on her form and then she can explain that we exchanged email addresses and went from there.

Has anyone ever been asked about Elena's during an interview? If so, what quesitons?

EM is exactly the type of site that qualifies as an International Marriage Broker according to IMBRA, because it is dedicated for westerners to meet foreign partners. You pay a fee to them and they broker your communication with the foreign partner.

The only ones exempt are those that are not especially dedicated to meetings with foreigners, like Match.com, Yahoo personals, and the like. Social Networking sites (MySpace, Facebook) do not qualify either because people do not pay to meet other people.

The answer is a definite yes. They're an agency and an international marriage broker. I think there's even an IMBRA section on her website if I recall correctly.

Well, didn't realize that question 19 meant that.. not much I can do about that now. I will just have fiancee answer yes on her questionaire and then explain that we exchanged email addresses. Hope we are ok with this.. would really be sad for something so little to stand in the way. They really didn't do anything except give me an email addresses. That was it.

Worse to slow your situation down due to a misunderstanding like that. I understand that with IMBRA, it is better to be safe than sorry. If you and your SO have given different answers to the question, why don't you send in a correction to yours by letter. Then you have some documentation in place for when the question (or dreaded RFE) comes up.

Edited by Brad and Vika

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Just talked to my fiancee and she said they provided her data about me.. I didn't know this.. so, should not be an issue then. I will right a letter just saying I didn't know they were a broker, and it should be ok. I think the Embassy just wants to know if she was provided the information. I don't think that she will have to produce any of it.

I met my wife while I was in the military.... so I did join an agency, and they sent me around the world to meet people...... I wonder if I would have to list them if I was going through it all over again?

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

EM is an IMBRA, right.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Moscow, Russia

I-129F Sent : 2009-06-22

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-06-25

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-09-24

NVC received: 2009-10-02

Yellow Envelope received: 2009-10-26

Interview - Dec 18, 2009 :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.