mlybrand

Stepson's Father's Permission

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I understand that we will need to get a signed statement from my stepson's father, giving permission for him (stepson) to come to the US to live. A couple of questions.

1. Most important, do I need to send this to NVC with the DS 230 or is it something that just needs to be taken to the interview at the consulate?

2. Should the statement be notarized (i.e. sworn affidavit of some kind) or is a simple signed statement sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I understand that we will need to get a signed statement from my stepson's father, giving permission for him (stepson) to come to the US to live. A couple of questions.

1. Most important, do I need to send this to NVC with the DS 230 or is it something that just needs to be taken to the interview at the consulate?

2. Should the statement be notarized (i.e. sworn affidavit of some kind) or is a simple signed statement sufficient?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

1 typically the Consulate

2 Notarized

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2 Notarized

Learned those Latin American countries, like Colombia and Venezuela are darn particular about fathers' right with their biological children. If your wife is divorced, better check closely into custody rights of the biological father. Even though my wife got full custody rights of her child, if her daughter was to return to Venezuela as a minor, she could not leave Venezuela unless she got another permission document from her biological father even though we had that court order, notary and apostille seal document stating my wife and full physical custody. Venezuela Consulate said, that was only good for that one time. And they also demanded her biological fathers' permission for a passport renewal, we even had papers showing charges he physically abuse his wife and child, didn't make a damn bit of difference to them.

She couldn't even visit her grandmother, so we got her grandmother here. Wasn't free of that until she reached 18 years of age. But we sure needed that document to bring her here for the USCIS. While as a step father, you can petition your step daughter to come here, but that is where your say ends. Did look in to adopting my step daughter, spoke to several Venezuelan attorneys about that, next to impossible and extremely expensive and time consuming. Step daugther would practically be a grandma herself by the time it was over.

I would find some very good attorneys in Peru, if you think our attorneys here are corrupt, in for a surprise, hope Peru is better. When my wife to be at the time said she has got to go to a notary, thought it would be like here, going to my bank and getting it done for free. Costs anywhere from $100-500 USC to get it done in Venezuela, depending on how complex the document was, plus took as long as two weeks.

Even with that document about physical custody and permanent permission to leave Venezuela, still needed yet another letter from the biological father at the airlines before she could board the plane, and my wife was with her.

Timeline

Thanks in advance.

Mark

2 Notarized

Learned those Latin American countries, like Colombia and Venezuela are darn particular about fathers' right with their biological children. If your wife is divorced, better check closely into custody rights of the biological father. Even though my wife got full custody rights of her child, if her daughter was to return to Venezuela as a minor, she could not leave Venezuela unless she got another permission document from her biological father even though we had that court order, notary and apostille seal document stating my wife and full physical custody. Venezuela Consulate said, that was only good for that one time. And they also demanded her biological fathers' permission for a passport renewal, we even had papers showing charges he physically abuse his wife and child, didn't make a damn bit of difference to them.

She couldn't even visit her grandmother, so we got her grandmother here. Wasn't free of that until she reached 18 years of age. But we sure needed that document to bring her here for the USCIS. While as a step father, you can petition your step daughter to come here, but that is where your say ends. Did look in to adopting my step daughter, spoke to several Venezuelan attorneys about that, next to impossible and extremely expensive and time consuming. Step daugther would practically be a grandma herself by the time it was over.

I would find some very good attorneys in Peru, if you think our attorneys here are corrupt, in for a surprise, hope Peru is better. When my wife to be at the time said she has got to go to a notary, thought it would be like here, going to my bank and getting it done for free. Costs anywhere from $100-500 USC to get it done in Venezuela, depending on how complex the document was, plus took as long as two weeks.

Even with that document about physical custody and permanent permission to leave Venezuela, still needed yet another letter from the biological father at the airlines before she could board the plane, and my wife was with her.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep it in mind. Before addressing the advice given (and all advice is welcome and appreciated, so keep it coming), I would like to point out that I am really asking about form and procedure of the document, not really concerned (at this point, anyway) with ramifications and issues. Okay, now that that's out of the way, on with addressing the advice...

She is not divorced; my stepson was born out of wedlock. The father is not only on the birth certificate, but plays an active role in my stepson's life and has a good relationship with my wife. Out of respect for the father, if for no other reason, I do not believe that pursuing adoption would be beneficial to anyone. The only concern I would have about getting permission each time is if the father suddenly has a change of heart. We can't really foresee that at this point and need to maintain the good relationship that has been established (between all of us, as he is also on friendly terms with me). God forbid it should change into something that requires lawyers. My wife has indicated that she would pursue such a course of action, if necessary. To reiterate before hitting "send", our situation is somewhat different due to the "politics" involved, and I may end up kicking myself down the road, but I believe at this juncture we have to play our cards this way.

Mark

Filed: IR-5 Country: Colombia
Timeline

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark:

All that I found was in spanish, but basically This is a document they call "Autorizacion de Viaje de Menor", that means Travel Authorization for Minor. The father will have to go to a notary and in a letter that will say like I ---------give permission to _________________ to take the minor _________________ date of birth and ID number, to take him permantely out the country on this date. She may need all kind of information (probably she knows about it. With out this authoization the child would not get out the country.

My mom had to do it all the time when I was under 18 years old.

Edited by maryces21

Maryces21

Mother's Journey

12/30/11 Sent I-130 Petition to CSC

01/14/11 Received NOA 1 (Priority date 01/02/11)

02/14/11 Could see case online

05/04/11 Waiting.......I am pregnant and I wish my Mom could be here when baby is born

05/23/11 Received email. Case approved. Yeahhhhhh

05/26/11 Received NOA 2 in the mail.

--------------NVC stage-----------------

06/07/11 NVC received case.

06/08/11 Called to give emails and got IIN.

06/10/11 Sent DS3032 email and paid AOS fee. Received auto response 15 seconds later.

06/14/11 AOS Showed Paid. Sent AOS Package.

06/16/11 NVC Received and accepted DS3032. AOS Package was delivered to NVC.

06/17/11 Paid IV fee.

06/22/11 IV Showed Paid.

06/23/11 Sent DS-230 via Express Mail.

06/24/11 DS 230 was delivered by USPS.

06/28/11 AOS was accepted per AVR.

06/30/11 Received AOS check list. Missing DS-230. (It was sent 06/23/11)

07/07/11 Case Complete per AVR and operator. Waiting for interview date.

08/01/11 Per NVC Operator Interview date 09/28/11

09/26/11 Medical test. Passed!!!!

09/28/11 Interview date @ BGT embassy. Approved!!!!!!!

10/06/11 Visa arrived.

10/19/11 Arrived to USA. POE ORLANDO

11/14/11 Received Green Card

Timeline

You need to send this notarized letter to the NVC if not they will send you an RFE. This letter needs to be from the father ( notorized ) authorizing the Child to immigrate to the US. That is for the immigration stage, as Nick stated you need to see what the rules are in your country for a minor leaving the country with only one parent.

We had to get that minor leaving the country document for my step sons to leave Colombia and it had to be stamped in Bogota, if not the Colomibian police would not have let the children leave.

Boys have been back to colombia without either parent and they needed the letter done again so when they left Colombia they were allowed to leave.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline

Thanks guys. So, that is one for sending it to NVC and one for only consulate. I am still waiting for NVC to receive my case from USCIS, so... When I pay the IV bill, do I get a checklist indicating all the documents they want from me based on the information they see on the paperwork from USCIS?

Mark

Timeline
Thanks guys. So, that is one for sending it to NVC and one for only consulate. I am still waiting for NVC to receive my case from USCIS, so... When I pay the IV bill, do I get a checklist indicating all the documents they want from me based on the information they see on the paperwork from USCIS?

Mark

When I did the papers for NVC back in 2007 there was nothing about this anywhere no check list etc. . Only thing I got was a RFE for that paper. I would suggest to attch it to the DS-230 when you send it.

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Timeline
You need to send this notarized letter to the NVC if not they will send you an RFE. This letter needs to be from the father ( notorized ) authorizing the Child to immigrate to the US. That is for the immigration stage, as Nick stated you need to see what the rules are in your country for a minor leaving the country with only one parent.

We had to get that minor leaving the country document for my step sons to leave Colombia and it had to be stamped in Bogota, if not the Colomibian police would not have let the children leave.

Boys have been back to colombia without either parent and they needed the letter done again so when they left Colombia they were allowed to leave.

Quite a mess, isn't it? For us, six years went by, then it was all over. But all I can say is that the USCIS wants indisputable proof the biological parent gives that permission to the child to immigrate to the USA and with the application. Least in our case.

Another crazy thing we ran into, my wife was free to buy a brand new car, get a loan on it while she was still married to her ex. But after her divorce, she was not permitted to sell it without his permission that he refused to give. So she just left it there. Saw that car when I was down there, people robbed parts off of it, was all rusty and someone hit it with a sledge hammer. Just commented, if her ex wants that car, he can have it. I purchased a new car here for my wife of her choosing, have to leave the past in the past. It's a whole new life.

Seen other people on this board with unwed children, really can't comment on that, but since I am paranoid about things like this, would want an ironclad document. Did get that ironclad document where the biological father relinquished all rights to his child, but the courts did give him visitation rights, but had to come here with her mother present, that was not a concern. Yet another factor is the child's relationship to that parent, for us, that was not a problem. Know you are not asking for stuff like this, but still a consideration. Keep that document in a safe, but can tear it up now, when our daughter reached 18 years of age. Now it's her choice, but she still wants me for a dad.

If you really want to look negatively ahead, can check with your state laws regarding divorce and responsibility as a step parent. His possible you may have a strong relationship with that child but split up with the parent. Really don't have any say, but if something nasty does happen, you won't be liable for child support. We didn't have problems even close to that, but was curious about my rights as a step parent, essentially, none. If that child got into problems, the spouse of that child is legally responsible, step parent is not. But since you are married to that person, you are also liable for her debts. Law gets kind of crazy in these matters.

Timeline
Know you are not asking for stuff like this, but still a consideration.

While it is true that I am not specifically asking about this aspect, please keep the advice and experiences coming. It at least gives me stuff to think about as I move forward.

Thanks again.

Mark

Timeline
Know you are not asking for stuff like this, but still a consideration.

While it is true that I am not specifically asking about this aspect, please keep the advice and experiences coming. It at least gives me stuff to think about as I move forward.

Thanks again.

Mark

Know a couple that adopted a baby from a unwed mom, she was very happy they adopted her baby, but came back 15 years later wanting her baby back, but those adoption papers were ironclad. Stuff like this happens.

It really boggled my brain when I was at the Venezuelan consulate with all those documents to renew our daughters' passport, further boggled my mind as a LPR with a ten year card, we couldn't get a US passport. Also had problems renewing my wife's passport. What in the hell do you want a Venezuelan passport for if you are living in the USA? Without thinking, just snapped back, we are only staying here long enough to make lots of money, then we are going back to Venezuela. They gave her a passport. We got her USC as quick as possible when the time came. Not 90 days, but 89 days, the 90th day was on a Sunday.

There are only three Venezuelan consulates in the USA, fortunately we only live 350 miles away from the nearest one, but too much to handle in one day, takes two days. Their tiny office is located in downtown Chicago that is one big fat no parking zone. We did get our daughter her Venezuelan passport when she turned 18, that was good and bad, when she turned 18, could only tailgate with my wife's USC, so has to wait two more years, we can apply for her next June with another 595 bucks and another 800 miles of driving.

We did buy her a plane ticket so she could see her family and brother she hasn't seen in five years, she also as a woman now wanted to visit her dad. We were wondering if she was going to come back home, but she did with a different attitude, said her dad is an a$$hole and realized for all her life, he didn't do anything for her. Practically all kids from split families have emotional problems, but the younger they are, the less problems you will have. She came here at 14 years old. We had our share of problems, but the love between her mom and me was strong. She is on the high honor roll at college now, saw the mess her childhood friends made of their lives.

I use the phrase, USCIS and dealing with foreign countries puts one in the twilight zone, something you have to put up with. But generally after five years, it's all over. As a veteran of a foreign war, didn't like to be treated like a criminal from the USCIS, but had to take that with a grain of salt.

She is not divorced; my stepson was born out of wedlock. The father is not only on the birth certificate, but plays an active role in my stepson's life and has a good relationship with my wife. Out of respect for the father, if for no other reason, I do not believe that pursuing adoption would be beneficial to anyone. The only concern I would have about getting permission each time is if the father suddenly has a change of heart. We can't really foresee that at this point and need to maintain the good relationship that has been established (between all of us, as he is also on friendly terms with me). God forbid it should change into something that requires lawyers. My wife has indicated that she would pursue such a course of action, if necessary. To reiterate before hitting "send", our situation is somewhat different due to the "politics" involved, and I may end up kicking myself down the road, but I believe at this juncture we have to play our cards this way.

Mark

I don't agree with you and your wife taking this boy away from his actively involved father. Sounds like he is not some bum who had sex with her. Children need their fathers.

Timeline

Mark

I don't agree with you and your wife taking this boy away from his actively involved father. Sounds like he is not some bum who had sex with her. Children need their fathers.

Not an issue anyway, can't take a kid away from a parent, that parent has to give that kid away. May want visitation rights and can get him. This goes along with many of our state divorce laws where if one parent has physical custody, can only move up to 125 miles away in my state, (WI) so it's not unduly inconvenient for the other parent. But the parent without physical can move to wherever, but doesn't have the privilege of forcing the custodial parent to follow the noncustodial parent.

I personally wouldn't be interested in a woman that would abandon her children, but at the same time, if you are kind of over the hill, not easy to find a 40 year virgin, ha, and if you did, could comprehend why they are still a virgin. In my case, with a child involved, all that had to be settled first before marriage, and my wife to be was in full agreement. And not only have to have a great relationship with your wife, but child as well, gets complicated.

Timeline

Hi Mlybrand,

In Peru you just have to go to a NOTARIA and get the "Travel Authorization" for 35 soles...both parents must go to the Notary with copies of DNI...and that's it. It is easy get it.

Good Luck.

04/08/2008...Married

USCIS

07/15/2008...send I-130 form

01/20/2009...APPROVED...NOA2...wooohooo!! **NOA2 175 days after NOA1**

NVC

2009-01-27 : Case Number Assigned

2009-01-28 : DS-3032 sent (by e-mail)

2009-01-30 : DS-3032 and AOS bill generated

2009-02-04 : IV Fee bill generated

2009-02-03 : Response from NVC to emailed DS-3032

2009-02-03 : DS-3032 Choice of Agent accepted

2009-02-23 : AOS PAID (online)

2009-02-23 : IV bill PAID

2009-03-10 : AOS package sent to NVC

2009-03-10 : DS-230 sent to NVC

2009-03-25 : RFE in AOS package (NVC wants 2008 tax returns)

2009-03-27 : sent RFE to NVC

2009-03-31 : NVC got our package...***please, no more RFE***

2009-04-03 : case complete at NVC

Embassy

2009-04-09 : Forward the case to Embassy

2009-05-04 : Medical

2009-05-12 : Interview at Embassy in Lima, Perú ***VISA APPPROVED***

2009-05-14 : Visa in Hand

2009-06-05 : POE Newark, NJ...with my love

PETITION FOR STEP-DAUGHTER

USCIS

2009-07-03 : I-130 Form sent to Chicago LockBox

2009-07-09 : NOA1 Case is pending at CALIFORNIA CENTER...(I hope it goes faster than mine)

2009-09-20 : NOA2 APPROVAL

2009-10-01 : NVC Case number

2009-10-02 : DS-3032 emailed

2009-10-06 : got AOS Bill by mail

2009-10-10 : got IV Bill by email

2009-10-13 : AOS Bill PAID

.png

Timeline

Mark

It is unfortunate that life doesn't give me the opportunity to arrange things differently. And I believe it is kind of rude of you to even pass this kind of judgment on a situation you know next to nothing about. But I'm just saying.... I hope your life continues to be nice and uncomplicated for you. Thanks anyway for your feeble attempt to make me feel like a rotten person. Sheesh!!

Mark

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.