Peikko

Tax on soda

84 posts in this topic

A tax on Coca-Cola and Pepsi 'could make Americans thinner'

Levy could also wipe out budget deficits of most US states, says health advocacy group

They brought the world Coca-Cola and Pepsi, two of the globe's most recognisable brands. Now Americans – not renowned for favouring new taxes – have been told that a national levy on its fizzy drinks could not only wipe out the budget deficits of most US states but significantly reduce obesity and diabetes.

The proposal from the Centre for Science in the Public Interest – a health advocacy group – follows the release of a study last week claiming budget-strapped states, including California, could raise $10bn (£6bn) a year by raising a tax of 7 cents on each can of Coke or similar sodas.

Twenty-five American states already tax fizzy drinks. The new study suggests that all states should be made to follow suit. The issue has been taken up by President Barack Obama, who has said in public statements that he believes too many children are drinking sugary drinks. Indeed Obama has said such a national tax could lower health expenditure.

The proposal is being bitterly opposed by the food industry and their lobby groups. "The tax code should not be used as a tool for social engineering. Nor should it be an instrument for penalising individuals' personal food choices – choices that some government officials find distasteful," J Justin Wilson, senior research analyst at the Centre for Consumer Freedom, told the Los Angeles Times.

"Taxing soda pop is another paternalistic policy idea, which holds that politicians and government regulators, rather than individual citizens, should decide every aspect of what, where and when we eat," he said.

"President Obama is exactly right when he says kids are drinking too much soda," said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Centre for Science in the Public Interest. "Soda is dirt cheap and promotes expensive and debilitating diseases, which in turn run up health care costs at all levels of government."

Link

I don't have a proble with the idea of taxing it, but I don't believe either assertion, that taxing it will make Americans thinner, or that taxing it is some horrific denial of freedom of individual choice.

Taxing it will just create some tax income that would be useful and it's not wrong to levy taxes on things that are purely for pleasure which humans neither need, nor do they enhance our health and in too large a quantity they are known to cause damage to it.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

When are they going to tax watermelon and BBQ? :devil:

A tax on Coca-Cola and Pepsi 'could make Americans thinner'

Levy could also wipe out budget deficits of most US states, says health advocacy group

They brought the world Coca-Cola and Pepsi, two of the globe's most recognisable brands. Now Americans – not renowned for favouring new taxes – have been told that a national levy on its fizzy drinks could not only wipe out the budget deficits of most US states but significantly reduce obesity and diabetes.

The proposal from the Centre for Science in the Public Interest – a health advocacy group – follows the release of a study last week claiming budget-strapped states, including California, could raise $10bn (£6bn) a year by raising a tax of 7 cents on each can of Coke or similar sodas.

Twenty-five American states already tax fizzy drinks. The new study suggests that all states should be made to follow suit. The issue has been taken up by President Barack Obama, who has said in public statements that he believes too many children are drinking sugary drinks. Indeed Obama has said such a national tax could lower health expenditure.

The proposal is being bitterly opposed by the food industry and their lobby groups. "The tax code should not be used as a tool for social engineering. Nor should it be an instrument for penalising individuals' personal food choices – choices that some government officials find distasteful," J Justin Wilson, senior research analyst at the Centre for Consumer Freedom, told the Los Angeles Times.

"Taxing soda pop is another paternalistic policy idea, which holds that politicians and government regulators, rather than individual citizens, should decide every aspect of what, where and when we eat," he said.

"President Obama is exactly right when he says kids are drinking too much soda," said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Centre for Science in the Public Interest. "Soda is dirt cheap and promotes expensive and debilitating diseases, which in turn run up health care costs at all levels of government."

Link

I don't have a proble with the idea of taxing it, but I don't believe either assertion, that taxing it will make Americans thinner, or that taxing it is some horrific denial of freedom of individual choice.

Taxing it will just create some tax income that would be useful and it's not wrong to levy taxes on things that are purely for pleasure which humans neither need, nor do they enhance our health and in too large a quantity they are known to cause damage to it.

Watermelons are a not a health risk and in fact are an excellent source of vitamin c so I can't see any reason to tax it, or any other fruit or vegetable for that matter.

Not sure what you mean by taxing BBQ - the sauce? I don't have a problem with taxing BBQ sauce either, but it's not a very neat category to apply taxes to. What is or isn't a BBQ sauce? It's very easy to identify what is and isn't soda for tax purposes.

Edited by Madame Cleo

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Timeline

Ok tax H20 and how about an air tax and a dirt tax and well while we are at it a sex tax or bedroom tax. Or a poll dancer tax. Or a breast tax. :star::whistle:

Watermelons are a not a health risk and in fact are an excellent source of vitamin c so I can't see any reason to tax it, or any other fruit or vegetable for that matter.

Not sure what you mean by taxing BBQ - the sauce? I don't have a problem with taxing BBQ sauce either, but it's not a very neat category to apply taxes to. What is or isn't a BBQ sauce? It's very easy to identify what is and isn't soda for tax purposes.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

nice one zqt, couldn't wait to make your 'smart comment'...

on the other hand, that is the most communist thing I've ever heard in my life, obviously Obama suggested that from his evil Obamacave with his evil council..

on the other hand, I think it's good, Soda is not a necessary item like, I don't know, water... and it would be a good tax income as MC said.. although I don't think it'll make Americans thinner just because soda is a couple cents more expensive.. I don't think it'll stop gas stations from selling their 10000000oz cups for 90 cents, and people from buying it

when in doubt between a soda and water, have a beer..

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Timeline

That is the problem with people like you Pedroh, tax everyone else but yourself, well why don't we tax your income more instead of taxing soda? I think that would be a fair levy of a tax. :angry:

on the other hand, that is the most communist thing I've ever heard in my life, obviously Obama suggested that from his evil Obamacave with his evil council..

on the other hand, I think it's good, Soda is not a necessary item like, I don't know, water... and it would be a good tax income as MC said.. although I don't think it'll make Americans thinner just because soda is a couple cents more expensive.. I don't think it'll stop gas stations from selling their 10000000oz cups for 90 cents, and people from buying it

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

we're taxed too much...damn country!

7/21/08 I 129f K-1 app given to Siam Legal Lawyers office

8/3/08 K-1 I 129f Sent (Atty Ofc made mistake delayed app, we learned later)

8/14/08 NOA-1

1/23/09 RFE Color Passport Picture

1/29/09 RFE Color Pics sent

2/3/09 RFE Pics USCIS acknowledged

4/28/09 NOA-2

5/01/09 NVC Received

5/01/09 Left NVC

5/15/09 Embassy Sent Packet 3 (we did not receive-they have correct addresses)

6/19/09 Packet 3 to Embassy

6/28/09 Appointment (packet 4) never mailed, had to ask to get email-they've got correct addresses

7/23/09 Interview Scheduled for 7:00am (A YEAR AFTER SUBMISSION)!!!!!!!!!!! APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7/28/09 Pick up visa

8/11/09 She came to the USA with me!

Timeline
That is the problem with people like you Pedroh, tax everyone else but yourself, well why don't we tax your income more instead of taxing soda? I think that would be a fair levy of a tax. :angry:

eh.. I drink soda.. I would also pay the soda tax... did I say "Pedroh should get a tax break on soda because he's awesome?".. nope..

btw.. let the VJ community decide, if I should get a Tax break on soda

Edited by pedroh

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

They're loaded with sugar too. Just because it's in a fruit doesn't mean it's automatically healthy.

It's about moderation!!

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

It would be more efficient to just make people pay an obesity tax annually. Make everyone go to a government doctor and get weighed, etc. Then your obesity tax can be determined and you can pay a lump sum along with your income tax return.

btw, is diet soda taxed? How about club soda? What about ginger ale if used to help soothe a bellyache?

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

i don't know about making people thinner by taxing soda. heavier taxes on cigarettes have not stopped the majority of people from smoking. all in all, if people want to do something, they will find the means necessary to get it.

Give Generously, Live Fully, Laugh Often, Love Completely...AND PRAY ALWAYS!!!

He is home!!!

Timeline

I think there should be an internet usage tax on you. That would work well I can only think how much revenue that would generate for the federal government! :whistle:

I am sure his income is taxed already, as is mine.

And pay a religion tax for everyone. :whistle:

It would be more efficient to just make people pay an obesity tax annually. Make everyone go to a government doctor and get weighed, etc. Then your obesity tax can be determined and you can pay a lump sum along with your income tax return.

btw, is diet soda taxed? How about club soda? What about ginger ale if used to help soothe a bellyache?

Timeline

let's decided if I should pay a Soda Tax or not

Should El Presidente pay a Soda Tax?

El Presidente of VJ

Wohnen Heute