jay120

List names of all children / ds230 form question

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am being petitioned by my mom (us citizen)

I am still single and living together with my partner and we have a 3 year old child.

I have no plans to bring my child with me now.

Do I still have to include his name in the DS230 form?

#19 List Names, Dates and Places of Birth, and Addresses of ALL Children.

I plan to marry the mother of my child in the future and bring them here. but there's just no way that I can bring my child without the mother right now.

If I list my child's name, do I have to provide his birth certificate during the interview as well though I am not bringing him?

This site is very helpful. I wonder if there's any link for a paypal donation since most of my answers are found here, instead of paying consultation fees with an immigration lawyer.

Thanks to all.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

I am still single and living together with my partner and we have a 3 year old child.

Yes, list all children. The question does not ask if they are immigrating. If you don't list all your children, you may not be able to petition for them later.

I plan to marry the mother of my child in the future and bring them here. but there's just no way that I can bring my child without the mother right now.

If I list my child's name, do I have to provide his birth certificate during the interview as well though I am not bringing him?

No. You do not need to provide your child's birth certificate if he is not immigrating with you.

This site is very helpful. I wonder if there's any link for a paypal donation since most of my answers are found here, instead of paying consultation fees with an immigration lawyer.

Thanks to all.

Why are you immigrating first and then petition for your child and your partner (wife)? This will mean another 5 years before they can immigrate. Why don't you just marry your partner and wait another 2 years so you, your wife and child can all immigrate at the same time. Two years waiting together is better than you coming first and being separated for 5 years. You know you can do this right?

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes, list all children. The question does not ask if they are immigrating. If you don't list all your children, you may not be able to petition for them later.

No. You do not need to provide your child's birth certificate if he is not immigrating with you.

Thanks to all.

Why are you immigrating first and then petition for your child and your partner (wife)? This will mean another 5 years before they can immigrate. Why don't you just marry your partner and wait another 2 years so you, your wife and child can all immigrate at the same time. Two years waiting together is better than you coming first and being separated for 5 years. You know you can do this right?

he is petitioned as single so he needs to be single for the entire process am i correct? If he gets married, her mom needs to file a new petition and he'll start waiting way back to where he started. it's easy being said but the single petition is already being processed so why will you agonized yourself of waiting again to be petitioned if your decided to get here now. besides he can bring his child if he wants to but opted not to. once he's here he can file K1 to bring her or he can file for as her wife if they decide to get married later. Whatever his decisions he could still do both ways so it's up to him and his mom and their family but i doubt if he'll past the chance of getting here now and established before getting his family.

I-R5 at USCIS California Service Center

Consulate: Manila Philippines

5/19/09 Filed I-130 at Chicago Lockbox

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

6/03/09 NOA1 rcvd for both parents

8/12/09 Email approval for Dad

8/17/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Dad

8/20/09 Rcvd RFE email for Mom

9/08/09 Email approval for Mom

9/12/09 Rcvd NOA2 for Mom

NVC

8/19/09 NVC rcvd dad's case

9/18/09 NVC rcvd mom's case

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

9/28/09 Paid AOS/ I-864 fee of $70 for both

10/08/09 rcvd emails: DS3032 accepted

10/08/09 sent I-864

10/09/09 IV bill generated for both cases

10/10/09 Paid IV bill $800 for both

10/13/09 I-864 rcvd by NVC

10/15/09 DS230 mailed to NVC

10/16/09 I-864 accepted & entered into the system

10/19/09 DS230 rcvd by NVC

11/02/09 rcvd checklist emails

11/09/09 sent RFE to NVC via UPS

11/12/09 NVC received RFE

11/19/09 AVR: checklist response rcvd 11/18/09

11/28/09 Log-in failed for both

12/01/09 Case complete as of 11/30/09

12/14/09 rcvd emails of interview date

01/04-05/09 medical @ St.Lukes done

01/11/10 Interview @ USEmbassy Manila 6:30am

Timeline

Thanks to all.

he is petitioned as single so he needs to be single for the entire process am i correct? NO. He can switch from the F1 category to the F3 (see below). If he gets married, her mom needs to file a new petition and he'll start waiting way back to where he started. Mom does not need to file a new petition. it's easy being said but the single petition is already being processed so why will you agonized yourself of waiting again to be petitioned if your decided to get here now. besides he can bring his child if he wants to but opted not to. once he's here he can file K1 to bring her or he can file for as her wife if they decide to get married later. Whatever his decisions he could still do both ways so it's up to him and his mom and their family but i doubt if he'll past the chance of getting here now and established before getting his family.

Wrong. His mother is a USC. He would simply move from the F1 category, USC petitioning an unmarried child, to F3, USC petitioning for a married child. He retains his original priority date. It is only two years longer to be in the F3 than in the F1. The big benefit is that his wife and child will not be separated from him and they get to come to the US at least 3 years earlier than if he petitions for them as an LPR.

Timeline

Thanks to all.

he is petitioned as single so he needs to be single for the entire process am i correct? NO. He can switch from the F1 category to the F3 (see below). If he gets married, her mom needs to file a new petition and he'll start waiting way back to where he started. Mom does not need to file a new petition. it's easy being said but the single petition is already being processed so why will you agonized yourself of waiting again to be petitioned if your decided to get here now. besides he can bring his child if he wants to but opted not to. once he's here he can file K1 to bring her or he can file for as her wife if they decide to get married later. Whatever his decisions he could still do both ways so it's up to him and his mom and their family but i doubt if he'll past the chance of getting here now and established before getting his family.

Wrong. His mother is a USC. He would simply move from the F1 category, USC petitioning an unmarried child, to F3, USC petitioning for a married child. He retains his original priority date. It is only two years longer to be in the F3 than in the F1. The big benefit is that his wife and child will not be separated from him and they get to come to the US at least 3 years earlier than if he petitions for them as an LPR.

Yes, he's petitioned as single so he needs to be single. Yes the USC mom can moved to the F3 category but this will back him up for couple of years of waiting as oppose to being SINGLE already petitioned and in process of his DS230, i believe which will take him another month or so to get here..I don't think it's a good idea, he'll waste those invested time of being in line for F1 for the longest time just to get here then waiting again... It would have been better if at the start of the process, he married his partner and her mom processed his paper as married? But as clearly as he indicated, he's petitioned as single and have other plans about his family (getting his soon to be wife and his kid).Even if he retains his priority date, he would still wait till his becomes current. As of now in PI, it takes between 8-10 yrs, while single takes 5 yrs or less. So if he is being petitioned as SINGLE, his case is already up and moving (if he's already on the DS230 stage) he needs to remain single for the rest of the process if he wants to get here now. But if he wants to wait longer, then he can get married, moved his category and stay in the Philippines for God knows how long. Yes the good thing is he can stay with his family and his kid. But getting here now, established himself at the same time start processing their papers is much better i think. He could always go home and visit if he wants to.

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

NVC

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

10/08/09 sent I-864

Timeline

Thanks to all.

Yes, he's petitioned as single so he needs to be single. Yes the USC mom can moved to the F3 category but this will back him up for couple of years of waiting as oppose to being SINGLE already petitioned and in process of his DS230, i believe which will take him another month or so to get here..I don't think it's a good idea, he'll waste those invested time of being in line for F1 for the longest time just to get here then waiting again... It would have been better if at the start of the process, he married his partner and her mom processed his paper as married? But as clearly as he indicated, he's petitioned as single and have other plans about his family (getting his soon to be wife and his kid).Even if he retains his priority date, he would still wait till his becomes current. As of now in PI, it takes between 8-10 yrs, while single takes 5 yrs or less. So if he is being petitioned as SINGLE, his case is already up and moving (if he's already on the DS230 stage) he needs to remain single for the rest of the process if he wants to get here now. But if he wants to wait longer, then he can get married, moved his category and stay in the Philippines for God knows how long. Yes the good thing is he can stay with his family and his kid. But getting here now, established himself at the same time start processing their papers is much better i think. He could always go home and visit if he wants to.

You are so wrong. "Even if he retains his priority date." Of course he will retain his priority date. Look at these two situations and tell which one is better.

Situation 1 - Move from F1 to F3 which means waiting two more years so he, his wife and his child can all immigrate to the US. One petition for the entire family.

Situation 2 - Immigrate in the F1. Go back and get married. Got to spend money for that. Petition for his wife and child as F2a. That's two petitions and twice the fees. Wait 5 years to be reunited with his family.

Duh? Situation 1 is the better choice. Do you think every beneficiary has to start over if the beneficiary gets married? That only occurs when an LPR petitions for an unmarried child and the child gets married before the parent becomes a USC. An LPR cannot petition for a married child, so that is why that petition is revoked. A beneficiary who is petitioned by a USC parent in the F1 category automatically goes to the F3 category when the beneficiary gets married and retains the original priority date. The petition by the USC parent does not get revoked upon marriage, it just coverts from F1 to F3. A USC can and USCIS is fully aware that people get married during the long wait. The law accommodates this for children of USC.

Timeline

As to "As of now in PI, it takes between 8-10 yrs, while single takes 5 yrs or less."

Wrong. For Filipinos, the current PD in the F1 category is Oct. 8, 1993, and in the F3 category it is Dec. 1, 1991. It is just two years longer in the F3 category, but he can bring his wife. If he filed in the F2a, it will be 5 years.

Look up the visa bulletin. Study up changing from the F1 to F3 categories.

Timeline

Thanks to all.

You are so wrong. "Even if he retains his priority date." Of course he will retain his priority date. Look at these two situations and tell which one is better.

Situation 1 - Move from F1 to F3 which means waiting two more years so he, his wife and his child can all immigrate to the US. One petition for the entire family.

Situation 2 - Immigrate in the F1. Go back and get married. Got to spend money for that. Petition for his wife and child as F2a. That's two petitions and twice the fees. Wait 5 years to be reunited with his family.

Duh? Situation 1 is the better choice. Do you think every beneficiary has to start over if the beneficiary gets married? That only occurs when an LPR petitions for an unmarried child and the child gets married before the parent becomes a USC. An LPR cannot petition for a married child, so that is why that petition is revoked. A beneficiary who is petitioned by a USC parent in the F1 category automatically goes to the F3 category when the beneficiary gets married and retains the original priority date. The petition by the USC parent does not get revoked upon marriage, it just coverts from F1 to F3. A USC can and USCIS is fully aware that people get married during the long wait. The law accommodates this for children of USC.

You can argue what you think you believe is right but in the end the one being petitioned decides which he thinks is better for him right? Besides if he's at the end of the line, is it much better to wait a little bit longer? DUH!! he already waited that long..after the DS230, interview can be scheduled when complete so you think if he's there in PI and excited to be with his other family (mom and whoever), he will prolong his agony of waiting yet couple of years again? I don't think so. Yeah, if he decides to wait with his family in PI, the only good thing is he's with his family. But you know what, getting here in the US and get established before your family comes is a better option. At least if he could find a job, he can support his family back home. If you're in PI and struggling, i don't think your idea is good. As i said he can always visit and petition them when he's able to.. and your wrong i believe that if he petitions his wife, that's 2 petition and 2 fees. the child becomes derivative, he can be included in his mom's petition! Besides, he gets here with the entire family and wait for God knows how long as F3 is much expensive. We don't know how much the USC mom can support with all three..Getting here as F1 and near the end of the line of getting here in the US is clearer option. Don't you think his mom would have petitioned him as married if the USC mom believes is much better. Then why the USC mom went the F1 route if in the end they would decide to get married and move to F3 and wait much longer? Separation can be endured if in the end the reward is for the goodness of the entire family..enough said.

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

NVC

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

10/08/09 sent I-864

Timeline
As to "As of now in PI, it takes between 8-10 yrs, while single takes 5 yrs or less."

Wrong. For Filipinos, the current PD in the F1 category is Oct. 8, 1993, and in the F3 category it is Dec. 1, 1991. It is just two years longer in the F3 category, but he can bring his wife. If he filed in the F2a, it will be 5 years.

You're dead wrong!! F1 does not take 16 years to be processed!! hello..last time I checked for USC filing for unmarried son over 21 is May 2004 while for married son of USC is Dec2001. Can you see the BIG difference of waiting time?? His F1 category if he's indeed processing his DS230 that means his approved, it's at NVC waiting for his case to be completed before an interview for visa can be scheduled at the USembassy in Manila. He can fly to the US anytime in the next month or so when approved of his visa interview. While the F3..waiting and waiting.. and God forbids something happens the USCmom now what?? the waiting is over.. Goodbye to the chance of getting here. unless new petition can be filed again..You see the scenario?

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

NVC

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

10/08/09 sent I-864

Timeline

You're dead wrong!! F1 does not take 16 years to be processed!! hello..last time I checked for USC filing for unmarried son over 21 is May 2004 while for married son of USC is Dec2001. Can you see the BIG difference of waiting time?? His F1 category if he's indeed processing his DS230 that means his approved, it's at NVC waiting for his case to be completed before an interview for visa can be scheduled at the USembassy in Manila. He can fly to the US anytime in the next month or so when approved of his visa interview. While the F3..waiting and waiting.. and God forbids something happens the USCmom now what?? the waiting is over.. Goodbye to the chance of getting here. unless new petition can be filed again..You see the scenario?

Do you even know what the visa bulletin is? http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_1360.html

Approval of the I-130 by USCIS is just the first step. Waiting for an available visa in the appropriate category is the second step. Get a clue.

Timeline

Thanks to all.

You can argue what you think you believe is right but in the end the one being petitioned decides which he thinks is better for him right? Besides if he's at the end of the line, is it much better to wait a little bit longer? DUH!! he already waited that long..after the DS230, interview can be scheduled when complete so you think if he's there in PI and excited to be with his other family (mom and whoever), he will prolong his agony of waiting yet couple of years again? I don't think so. Yeah, if he decides to wait with his family in PI, the only good thing is he's with his family. But you know what, getting here in the US and get established before your family comes is a better option. At least if he could find a job, he can support his family back home. If you're in PI and struggling, i don't think your idea is good. As i said he can always visit and petition them when he's able to.. and your wrong i believe that if he petitions his wife, that's 2 petition and 2 fees. the child becomes derivative, he can be included in his mom's petition! Besides, he gets here with the entire family and wait for God knows how long as F3 is much expensive. We don't know how much the USC mom can support with all three..Getting here as F1 and near the end of the line of getting here in the US is clearer option. Don't you think his mom would have petitioned him as married if the USC mom believes is much better. Then why the USC mom went the F1 route if in the end they would decide to get married and move to F3 and wait much longer? Separation can be endured if in the end the reward is for the goodness of the entire family..enough said.

you were looking at the wrong data. My F1 took 6 yrs not 16 years! And even if it takes 16years, isn't that too long of agony from his mom waiting to get him here in the US? If indeed his mom had planned to moved him at F3, she could have done that long ago if that was a good option that wait this many years and decides to get him as F3 now that his processing his DS230! do you even know where the DS230 stage is? he's already near to getting his US visa...Like i've said God forbids something happens to the mom, he can kiss goodbye to his chance of getting here..

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

NVC

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

10/08/09 sent I-864

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

This is just MY opinion and I could be wrong - I think that the son of the U.S. Citizen should immigrate here first, do what needs to be done so he can file a K visa for his child and the child's mother.

03/26/09 : NOA1

09/23/09 : NOA2

11/13/09 : APPROVED and visa in hand!!!

Timeline
This is just MY opinion and I could be wrong - I think that the son of the U.S. Citizen should immigrate here first, do what needs to be done so he can file a K visa for his child and the child's mother.

An LPR cannot file for a fiancee visa. Only a USC can petition for a fiancee.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Family preference visas have a number quota per year, and restrictions on what percentage of the quota can come from a single country. Because of the number of applications received, there are four countries that have different processing times than the rest of the world - China, India, Mexico, and the Philippines. The current priority date for each country and category of visa are given in the latest visa bulletin, which aaron2020 gave a link to. The current priority date for an F1 from the Philippines is October 8, 1993. The current priority date for an F3 from the Philippines is October 15, 1991.

You can check the numbers yourself. The Philippines has a longer wait than any other country:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin...letin_4575.html

If he gets married then his priority date doesn't change, but his visa category does. Therefore, he'll have to wait a couple of years longer (based on the current bulletin) before his priority date will come up, and he'll be eligible for a visa.

One question that hasn't been asked is his age. If he's under 21 and unmarried then he's eligible for an IR2, and he can get a visa right away.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Thanks to all.

you were looking at the wrong data. My F1 took 6 yrs not 16 years! And even if it takes 16years, isn't that too long of agony from his mom waiting to get him here in the US? If indeed his mom had planned to moved him at F3, she could have done that long ago if that was a good option that wait this many years and decides to get him as F3 now that his processing his DS230! do you even know where the DS230 stage is? he's already near to getting his US visa...Like i've said God forbids something happens to the mom, he can kiss goodbye to his chance of getting here..

oopps made an error..my cousin was petition as single by LPR. but the sad news is, when he gets here, a month after, his dad died of cancer.. so the scenario i'm talking is if the chance of getting here NOW is there, why opt for another route? you'll never know what those 2 more years or so of waiting in PI and mom waiting here in the US.. the option is there to grab to get here the soonest possible. I stand by what I thinks is better. get here as F1 ( he can bring his child too) then go back later marry her. I rest my case.

5/22/09 USCIS rcvd I-130

6/01/09 Checks cashed

NVC

9/22/09 Emailed DS3032

10/08/09 sent I-864

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.