Wade+Kristin

Drivers License

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am working on getting my K1 Visa, and we got our NOA2 and preparing for my interview. However, I am also trying to think a bit ahead, and I am wondering how things will be regarding my drivers license. Can I use the norwegian license that I have now? I know I can use it if I was just there on a vacation, but how will things be now? I assume I have to get a new one after I adjust my name and such, and if so, do I have to take the tests all over again in the US? I know I can get an international license here in Norway, but I assume I will need something new when my last name will change.

Any information and help with the experience you guys have had would be great. I guess all I am wondering is whether or not the license I already have is worthless as far as being able to continue to drive in the US once I get there.

Thanks,

Kristin

Edited by Wade+Kristin

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

We have 50 states that make up the USA

Each state has it's own requirments.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi everyone,

I am working on getting my K1 Visa, and we got our NOA2 and preparing for my interview. However, I am also trying to think a bit ahead, and I am wondering how things will be regarding my drivers license. Can I use the norwegian license that I have now? I know I can use it if I was just there on a vacation, but how will things be now? I assume I have to get a new one after I adjust my name and such, and if so, do I have to take the tests all over again in the US? I know I can get an international license here in Norway, but I assume I will need something new when my last name will change.

Any information and help with the experience you guys have had would be great. I guess all I am wondering is whether or not the license I already have is worthless as far as being able to continue to drive in the US once I get there.

Thanks,

Kristin

Kristin, if you Google the DMV for the area you will be living in you should be able to find out what the requirements are because they are different state to state. For example, my husband is from Canada. When he visited me, he could drive on his Cdn license with no problem...as a visitor. Once he came here (Georgia) on the K-1, married, and began the AOS process, GA DMV states he either had to have his EAD or GC to obtain a drivers license.

Hope this helps. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Hi Kristin, it says your local office is in Seattle so I assume you are moving to Washington state. Unfortunately you will have to re-take both knowledge and driving tests to get your first WA State license

If you have valid license from another country

Germany and British Columbia are the only locations that have reciprocity agreements with Washington State.

* If you have a valid German or British Columbia driver license, you may get a Washington State driver license by following the steps above for new residents with a valid license from another state.

* If you have moved to Washington State from a country other than Germany or a Canadian province other than British Columbia, you must complete all the steps to getting your first license.

But don't fret, both knowledge and driving tests are very easy. Just make sure you read the Washington Driver Guide before sitting the knowledge test and you should pass it on your first go with no issues (link: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/guide.html). As for the driving test, you only need to score 80 out of 100 to pass... drive around a bit and get some practice and the test is actually pretty quick and they only test you on certain things as outlined on an instruction sheet (I can get mine out if you like)

See steps here: http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/18over.html

DCF Timeline here

POE Timeline

08/24/2008 POE Seattle

08/29/2008 SSN assigned

09/08/2008 SSN (Card) received

09/29/2008 Green Card received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS error)

11/10/2008 Send I-90 to Texas service center

12/xx/2008 NOA1

01/07/2009 Card production ordered

01/14/2009 Card mailed

01/xx/2009 Card received

I-751 Timeline

06/02/2010 Send I-751 to California service center

06/04/2010 Received at CSC

06/07/2010 NOA1

06/09/2010 Check cashed

07/27/2010 Biometrics

07/28/2010 Touch

09/02/2010 Approved

Thank you all for the replies, it's very helpful. Funny how I've started to think of things like that now that we're getting closer to my interview.. before all I could do was waiting for the NOA2.

Kaffy, you are correct - I am moving to Washington state. I was hoping I did not have to take the tests all over again but I guess it should be an interesting experience after having it for some years now. Thank you so much for the links, I really appreciate it and will start looking at it right away. I will need to sort out my license as soon as I can, I feel so helpless without it!

- Kristin

07.15.09 - Received NOA1

10.02.09 - Received NOA2 - So exciting!!

10.07.09 - Medical approved!

10.16.09 - Case left NVC

10.19.09 - Case delivered at consulate

10.21.09 - Package 3 received!

11.04.09 - Package 3 sent

11.25.09 - Interview APPROVED!

12.03.09 - Visa on hand!!

12.28.09 - POE in Seattle

02.13.10 - Our wedding day xD

12.14.12 - Mailed I-751 - Here we go again!

12.17.12 - Package delivered

12.20.12 - Received NOA 1 - dated 12.17.12

fqaVm8.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.