baf

Marry and American with a Working Visa I think HB1?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Is it allowed to marry an American citizen with a working visa that last up to 5 years or does the person have to go back to their initial country and file for marriage or whatever?

have not started my visa application, have not decided what route to take, planning my trip to America, and asking questions to see what best route to take . *breathes*.

Is it allowed to marry an American citizen with a working visa that last up to 5 years or does the person have to go back to their initial country and file for marriage or whatever?

No one can stop you from marrying a person you want to marry unless that person is the same sex as you.

As for marrying a person then filing for adjustment of status then this is not the forum for that. Check out the AOS forum.

oh ok then filing for citizenship after married to the person does the spouse have to return back home and file from there?

have not started my visa application, have not decided what route to take, planning my trip to America, and asking questions to see what best route to take . *breathes*.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
oh ok then filing for citizenship after married to the person does the spouse have to return back home and file from there?

No. If the alien is legally in the US under a different visa (say H-1B) and the entry on that visa was incidental to the marriage (i.e. they entered to work on the H-1B, but then met their fiancee and got married), then they can file for AOS (adjustment of status) to permanent resident (green card holder), without having to leave the country. The K-1 or K-3 is not used nor required.

Citizenship is something entirely different. Citizenship (naturalization) can be applied for after a certain number of years of continuous residence in the US as a permanent resident.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not on an H1, the correct visa would be a H4.

Which by the ways does not allow you to work.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

There is not enough information here. Is the person already here on a working visa? Are they intending to use a working visa to come here with the intent of getting married?

You need to be very careful. If the purpose of coming here is to get married and the working visa is the method for entry, then they would have comitted fraud and could be deported and banned from reentry for a long time.

If the OP was already here on a working visa with no previous intention of marriage, then a subsequent marriage and application for adjustment of status would not be fraud.

I mention this based on other posts by this person trying to meet the K1 requirement to have met within the past 2 years.

Edited by john_and_marlene

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Keep in mind as well that a person can't just be handed an H-1B visa. That individual must be sponsored by a U.S. company to do work in the States for which he or she is uniquely qualified.

I don't mean to be blunt, but before you explore all these ways of moving to the States, might it not be more prudent to come here on VWP and actually meet your sweetie first? And THEN explore your options?

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

oh i wasnt intending of using this metjod was just curious i have a long way to graduate ..then look for a job

You can visit the States in the meantime on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you are a UK citizen.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

--Neil Finn

VWP=Visa Waiver Program. It is an agreement between the States and a number of other countries, including the UK, allowing citizens of those countries to travel to the States for temporary (less than 90 days) visits for tourism or business without having to first obtain a B-1 or B-2 visa.

And before you ask, no, you can't come to the States on VWP with the intention of getting married and subsequently staying in the States. VWP is intended for temporary visits only. And the permission to make visits to the States on VWP can be revoked if visits become too frequent and lengthy. We have a lot of people on VJ who were refused entry on VWP after making too many visits too close together.

Edited by pax

--Neil Finn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.