jlee

General Legal Questioning with Marriage outside of the U.S/Military

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Hello everyone this is my first post on this board, thanks to my friend who directed me here.

Basically my question is this:

I am currently a 2LT in the United States Army and I have met a wonderful and beautiful girl in Nicaragua to which we have spoken and I would love to get married with her. However, I would like to get married with her in Nicaragua FIRST, then later down the road married in the United States. The reason I want to do this is so that she can finish her career in Nicaragua before I bring her over.

So, what are the procedures for this and how will this affect my military status? Let me know, thank you guys for listening!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Once married in Nicaragua, you are legally married anywhere in the world. So there is no reason to plan a second marriage in the US. She would need to have a spousal visa (K-3 or CR-1) to enter the U.S.

As to your status in the military, best check with your headquarters. I have a feeling that nothing would change, except whatever benefits the military provides for married officers.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hello everyone this is my first post on this board, thanks to my friend who directed me here.

I am currently a 2LT in the United States Army and I have met a wonderful and beautiful girl in Nicaragua to which we have spoken and I would love to get married with her. However, I would like to get married with her in Nicaragua FIRST, then later down the road married in the United States. The reason I want to do this is so that she can finish her career in Nicaragua before I bring her over.

So, what are the procedures for this and how will this affect my military status? Let me know, thank you guys for listening!!

Shouldn't affect your military status at all.

Once married in Nicaraugua, you are married. You would need to file for a CR-1 visa, which in your case sounds like the best deal anyway. After she arrives, you can have another wedding ceremony, a renewal of vows, or whatever you want to call it. YOU can recognize whichever ceremony you want, the government doesn't care how many anniversaries you celebrate, USCIS will consider the first marriage the legal and binding one (it is).

FWIW many K-1s do a similar thing, have a quick marriage in the USA to satisfy the requirements of the visa and have a big ceremony sometime later

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nicaragua
Timeline

Awesome I'll definitely look into that CR-1 Visa (have no clue about it) thanks so much for your helpful answers! The reason I'd rather have the big ceremony there is that I honestly have only 3 family members and friends here in the U.S, everyone else is over there hehe.. but hey, again thanks guys.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

DOD regulations require you to report your marriage to a foreign national. It could affect your security clearance, especially if your fiancee has ever held a job working for a foreign government. It's been a long time since I was in the military, and I wasn't too educated in the relevant regulations even then. I suggest you contact the legal office on your post for advice on how to register the marriage, and follow their guidance.

Your first marriage in Nicaragua would be legally binding. You'd need to apply for a K3 or CR1 visa for your new wife. You can have a second ceremony in the US, if you like.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.