akdiver

Travel Problems

44 posts in this topic

As I read through this thread, it seems to skate around an issue we are talking about right now. Vika says that changing her Ukrainian passport could cause all kinds of problems with inheritance, etc. in Ukraine. If there is a stamp that goes in her passport instead that would seem to get around all the concerns about keeping her maiden name for those purposes. Does Ukraine simply stamp the married name into the passport too?
That strikes me as odd, that inheritance would be based on one's name, rather than WHO ONE IS, and what someone's will says.

Apparently the problem is not with inheritance itself, but verifying identity. Seems pretty odd to me too. I also understand that changing your passport in Ukraine is a major hassle. A stamp would settle things nicely.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
As I read through this thread, it seems to skate around an issue we are talking about right now. Vika says that changing her Ukrainian passport could cause all kinds of problems with inheritance, etc. in Ukraine. If there is a stamp that goes in her passport instead that would seem to get around all the concerns about keeping her maiden name for those purposes. Does Ukraine simply stamp the married name into the passport too?
That strikes me as odd, that inheritance would be based on one's name, rather than WHO ONE IS, and what someone's will says.

Apparently the problem is not with inheritance itself, but verifying identity. Seems pretty odd to me too. I also understand that changing your passport in Ukraine is a major hassle. A stamp would settle things nicely.

We don't have any issues with inheritance, but found the same hassle with trying to change the name in her passports and the marriage certificate The stamp has solved the problems. The Russian embassy allowed us to mail in the passport and renew and add the stamp last year. Not sure about Ukraine, but you might check the website for the Ukraine embassy in the US. Hope this works for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

finally! a topic which interests us, people that passed all the stages of USCIS burocracy and ascended to spouse citizenships... ha ha

anyways, important question in AKdiver story is if there was a stamp with the name change is the russian passport. without that stamp (which is still surprisingly made free of charge in russian consulates, i'm sure they'll come to their senses soon) airline indeed could deny her entry.

that stamp actually connects two passports.

now to change the passport with maiden name is entirely different and more sad stroy. first you have to change the name in internal russian passport (in russia only of course). then get new international passport there with the new name. very unpleasant procedure i believe...

we did a lot of travel with that name change stamp in russian passport, it worked so far... i wonder for how long it'll be...

also in VA they put both new and maiden names on the marriage certificate... we're lucky that way here

obender

Filed: Other Timeline

I got my first and my last name on November 30, 1957. My wife got here first and her last name on July 11, 1962. Her daughter got her first name and her last name on December 18, 1989. All of us three have different names, the ones we got when we were born, and we kept them.

If you keep your name, whether you get married, move to Timbuktu, or join a religious sect, you'll never encounter problems the OP's wife encountered, as the name on your birth certificate, your high school diploma, your Russian passport, your GC, and your US Passport all match. Isn't that cool?

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

If you keep your name, whether you get married, move to Timbuktu, or join a religious sect, you'll never encounter problems the OP's wife encountered, as the name on your birth certificate, your high school diploma, your Russian passport, your GC, and your US Passport all match. Isn't that cool?

It's cool until someone denies you the right to travel together as a family unit because none of your names match. Maybe not a problem right now, but when SHTF, having the same name on legal documents may enable you to remain cohesive. Having matching ammo should help too....

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
now to change the passport with maiden name is entirely different and more sad stroy. first you have to change the name in internal russian passport (in russia only of course). then get new international passport there with the new name. very unpleasant procedure i believe...
Completely untrue - I know from first hand experience. Read the link on this subject I posted earlier in this thread.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Completely untrue - I know from first hand experience. Read the link on this subject I posted earlier in this thread.

You just got lucky. For most of us it just won't work that way.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Timeline
You just got lucky. For most of us it just won't work that way.

I don't see why not. I didn't bribe them or anything.

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Alright, AKdiver I forgot another way that no russian who is not under pressure would ever take. Changing russian "propiska" to registration abroad as your wife did (in the thread posted) cuts all the ties to Russia and renders internal russian passport irrelevant.

Since that person has no ties to russia except with consulate, embassy etc. only those institutions could change the name in international passport. There is no question about it.

What I wrote is correct, I just made an assumption that person is still registered in russia. Most people if not pressed keep their russian registration "propiska" to be able to deal with various aspects of life there: inheritance, real estate etc.

obender

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Alright, AKdiver I forgot another way that no russian who is not under pressure would ever take. Changing russian "propiska" to registration abroad as your wife did (in the thread posted) cuts all the ties to Russia and renders internal russian passport irrelevant.

Since that person has no ties to russia except with consulate, embassy etc. only those institutions could change the name in international passport. There is no question about it.

What I wrote is correct, I just made an assumption that person is still registered in russia. Most people if not pressed keep their russian registration "propiska" to be able to deal with various aspects of life there: inheritance, real estate etc.

obender

Ostap Bender is correct.

Timeline
Alright, AKdiver I forgot another way that no russian who is not under pressure would ever take.
Hey, there was no pressure applied here. My wife was moving out of town - saw no need to keep a registration there - and unregistered there. Pretty simple logic - nothing to do with any kind of "pressure". Edited by akdiver

right, "no pressure" post was to be expected...

by pressure i meant necessity to conduct certain types of transactions in the russian locality that one's leaving such as (but not limited to) care of remaining relatives, inheritance process, and major of them all - real estate dealings... if one has nothing of that - no pressure but not too many individuals leave absolutely nothing after living more than quarter of a century in a home country.

o bender

Timeline
right, "no pressure" post was to be expected...

by pressure i meant necessity to conduct certain types of transactions in the russian locality that one's leaving such as (but not limited to) care of remaining relatives, inheritance process, and major of them all - real estate dealings... if one has nothing of that - no pressure but not too many individuals leave absolutely nothing after living more than quarter of a century in a home country.

o bender

I see. Well, it's not as if my wife "left nothing". She had a successful travel agency, which she essentially gave away. She had a rather nice flat in a new high-rise, which she sold. She also has plenty of relatives - parents, brother, nephews, cousins, etc. etc. I guess she wasn't too hung up on inheriting real estate or other goodies. If I had to guess, knowing her, she's probably content to just let her brother have all of her parents' property when they pass on. Up to her I guess. Edited by akdiver

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.