Mike and Thanh

What's next?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I would assume that the person doing your ceremony would qualify to legally marry the two of you. (Just ask them) If not, then you would have to find another person that can legally marry you so that you can obtain a marraige certificate.

The person performing the ceremony (monk, priest, rabbi, judge, justice of the peace, ship captain, etc.) typically submits the form to the city/county clerk and your marriage is registered. Then you can get the marriage certificate from the city or county clerk.

Check with your city/town/county clerk's office regarding the license and registering your marraige. It is a very simple thing, but it does vary from state to state.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Normally the person who performs the marriage sends the signed form in but I asked to let me hand carry it myself and was allowed to and went straight to the court house and did so and had a certified copy did right there. I used that to start the AOS paperwork.

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline
How will they know if I got married before I get the marriage license? I'm a buddhist, so there won't be any church ceremony that a priest can marry us off, so how would they know? It will be a simple ceremony at my house.

You can get it done at a courthouse or just have a priest sign the papers with both of you there and 2 witnesses. You do not have to have a actual wedding. but you have to have the license and it has to be signed to meet the conditions of the k1 visa. To get the application usually does not take long all you should have to do is take your id to the court house and some money for the fee fill in some paperwork and you should get it then. So you should be able to do it on your lunch break.

Jerome

小學教師 胡志明市,越南

What do I need to apply a social security card for Thanh? I went to the social security website, but I want to see what you guys say since most of you already went through this. I read that there is a work and a non-work option that you can check and they said she must provide a valid reason/proof if it's a non-work ss card. What does this mean? Can someone provide me a step by step? Sorry if it seem like an obvious thing to you, but I just want to make sure and not have to go back and forth.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
What do I need to apply a social security card for Thanh? I went to the social security website, but I want to see what you guys say since most of you already went through this. I read that there is a work and a non-work option that you can check and they said she must provide a valid reason/proof if it's a non-work ss card. What does this mean? Can someone provide me a step by step? Sorry if it seem like an obvious thing to you, but I just want to make sure and not have to go back and forth.

The ability to work is not decided by the SS agency. Unless she was provided a work permit stamp on her I94 when she entered, she will not be allowed to work until after her status is adjusted.

Here is the guide for SSN... http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work.

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

When filing for the marriage license and ss card, how should I list her name? Her full name is Dang Le Thanh or Thanh Le Dang here in the U.S. Do I put her name down as it is on her passport?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
When filing for the marriage license and ss card, how should I list her name? Her full name is Dang Le Thanh or Thanh Le Dang here in the U.S. Do I put her name down as it is on her passport?

In the US, her first name is Thanh, middle is Le, last is Dang. If they ask for "full name" then write Thanh Le Dang.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Thanks Jim.

Today I went to the courthouse to apply for a marriage license. They said I needed both of the original translation documents of ours birth certificates. I only have copies. I called the attorney that did my paperwork, but he said the originals were sent in with the petition. He said he thought my fiancee would have got back the originals, but my fiancee said she didn't. I can't ask him to translate again because he is now a congressman and said he doesn't do these things anymore, so I have to find someone else. Can anyone translate the birth certificates? All they need is to know both Vietnamese and English right? Also it has to be certified, what does this mean? Notarized? Do I need to find another lawyer to translate? I was told that I could basically retype everything that is on the translation page, but have someone else sign and date it. Is that right?

Also I went to try to apply a social security card for Thanh. The lady there said I needed an employment authorization card which Thanh doesn't have. So how can she get a social security card without one? The lady said they do sometimes give out a social security card, but the applicant need to prove that she has a valid nonwork reason for requesting a card. So how can she get one now?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you need originals and don't have them, you may have to request her family in VN request them. While they're at it, you can have them translate it for you over there also.

If you have an original and just need it translated, you should seek out a translator in your area. I know USCIS allowed people who knew both languages to translate but they have to attest that the translation is exact and provide their personal info.

No need to spend your big bucks on an attorney...unless you have excess...and in that case...send it my way! :)

Edited by lindal24

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Thanks Jim.

Today I went to the courthouse to apply for a marriage license. They said I needed both of the original translation documents of ours birth certificates. I only have copies. I called the attorney that did my paperwork, but he said the originals were sent in with the petition. He said he thought my fiancee would have got back the originals, but my fiancee said she didn't. I can't ask him to translate again because he is now a congressman and said he doesn't do these things anymore, so I have to find someone else. Can anyone translate the birth certificates? All they need is to know both Vietnamese and English right? Also it has to be certified, what does this mean? Notarized? Do I need to find another lawyer to translate? I was told that I could basically retype everything that is on the translation page, but have someone else sign and date it. Is that right?

Anyone who is fluent in both English and Vietnamese can do the translation. They have to provide a written certification on the translated document that they are qualified to translate from Vietnamese to English. Read this page and scroll down to "Certification by Translator" - this is what the translator has to write on the document:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

You don't need to get it notarized. In fact, a notary cannot certify that the document is a legitimate translation, nor that the original document is legitimate. They have no way of knowing this. A notary in the US can't do much more than be a legal witness to a signature.

Also I went to try to apply a social security card for Thanh. The lady there said I needed an employment authorization card which Thanh doesn't have. So how can she get a social security card without one? The lady said they do sometimes give out a social security card, but the applicant need to prove that she has a valid nonwork reason for requesting a card. So how can she get one now?

Read this page, scroll down the box titled "For K1 Visa Holders:".

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=ssn

This is a common problem with the Social Security Administration. They don't realize that many people on non-immigrant visas are eligible for a Social Security number. The VJ instructions tell you to print out this page:

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500

Point out the section titled "C. Policy - Employment Authorization by Class of Admission". K1 visa holders ARE permitted to work in the US while their I-94 is valid, and don't need a DHS work authorization stamp nor EAD until AFTER the I-94 expires. As the VJ instructions state, don't wait until there isn't much time left on the I-94.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

My wifes Uncle here did the translation and attested at the bottom that he was fluent in both languages and able to do so and signed it at the bottom with info on how to contact him. That was all that was needed.

Do what was said about the SS card. We hear this often here and they can issue the card when she arrives in the country. In fact if one wanted to you can drive straight from the airport to a SS office and get one. On the card that is issued to my wife it says on it that a work authorization is needed.

Thanks guys for the info.

On the application of the social security card, on line 4 where it said Citizenship, which one should I check? Legal Alien Allowed To Work or Legal Alien Not Allow To Work? Or Other?

I have another question. I was told that I need two witness when I get the marriage license. Will they ask the witnesses anything? Let say one of them doesn't speak English, will that be a problem?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.