Mike and Thanh

What's next?

43 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

the witnesses are there to see you sign the certificate...

...don't worry buddy, the hard part is over (interview at the embassy) you have plenty of time now... :)

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]12-xx-2007 - 1st Trip (6wks) & Met him halfway around the world

[*]03-xx-2008 - Got engaged - two people on opposite sides of the world

[*]05-xx-2008 - 2nd Trip (2wks) - Engagement/Marriage/Consummation

[*]06-12-2008 - Filed I-130 (CR-1) with Vermont Service Center

[*]12-xx-2008 - 3rd Trip (4wks)

[*]06-05-2009 - Interview at 9:00am at HCMC Consulate (result: blue)

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

[*]08-xx-2009 - 4th Trip (4wks)

[*]10-07-2009 - AP 91 days - Result: APPROVED!!

[*]10-31-2009 - POE: Detroit, MI

[*]11-18-2009 - Social Security Card

[*]11-20-2009 - Green Card

[*]01-21-2010 - Driver's License

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]02/07/2011 - Renew Vietnam Passport

[*]07/30/2011 - Process of Removing Conditions Begins

[*]09/25/2011 - Date of I-751

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

[*]10/19/2011 - Biometrics

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I went with Thanh to the local court house to get our marriage license. It was faster and easier than I expected. The room where I filed the application and the room where the judge that we saw was just a few steps away from each other. After filing out the application, we brought it to the judge's room. We didn't even need our own witnesses. His secretary and another person that were our witnesses. Thanh doesn't understand much English at all, but the judge said it was no problem. He told her to repeat after him. He even said each word one by one so she can say it. Afterward, he brought us to the recorder's office himself to have the application recorded and we even got a certified marriage certificate right there. I'm not sure if this is how things are for the rest of you. The judge seem to be very open, nice, and even told a few jokes. Now I have to take care of the social security card and apply for AOS.

Timeline
Today I went with Thanh to the local court house to get our marriage license. It was faster and easier than I expected. The room where I filed the application and the room where the judge that we saw was just a few steps away from each other. After filing out the application, we brought it to the judge's room. We didn't even need our own witnesses. His secretary and another person that were our witnesses. Thanh doesn't understand much English at all, but the judge said it was no problem. He told her to repeat after him. He even said each word one by one so she can say it. Afterward, he brought us to the recorder's office himself to have the application recorded and we even got a certified marriage certificate right there. I'm not sure if this is how things are for the rest of you. The judge seem to be very open, nice, and even told a few jokes. Now I have to take care of the social security card and apply for AOS.

Pretty much how it went for me too. We have to wait 72 hours in the state of Texas before we could actually get married though and then went to the court house and the judge was just arriving and he ushered us in and did the ceremony there and we went next door to the recorders office and got the certified copy. The next day it was the SS office and then I went and filed for the AOS. Piece of cake.

Timeline

Glad it was easy. Congrats on being legally married and moving on to AOS. :thumbs:

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

On the certificate, it states that it's not valid until October 3rd. That's the 72 hours wait period? Also, today the judge did the ceremony, got certificate recorded, and got the certified copy, is this normal? I thought there is a wait period for each?

Timeline

In Texas there is a wait period after receiving the marriage license of 72 hours but after that there is no wait period of anything. Surprised the judge and recorder did it then. If they did then I would say it is legal but would wait till the 3rd.

On the marriage certificate, I helped her fill out the application with the name that's on her passport. When should I help her apply for a name change so she would have my last name? Do I wait until after getting her a social security card and received the green card? I heard from someone by doing this it would be easier and less confusing. Her full name is Thanh Le Dang. Mine is Michael Chiang. So, when I do help her change it, which should it be? Thanh Le Chiang or Thanh Dang Chiang or just Thanh Chiang?

Timeline

I'd consult the wifey...she might not expect or want to change her name. But the choices are up to you guys...

1. Thanh Le Chiang

2. Thanh Dang Chiang

3. Thanh Le Dang Chiang

4. Thanh Chiang

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

[*]07-08-2009 - Submitted RFE: Beneficiary's Relatives & Evidence of Relationship

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Timeline

At marriage would have been the easiest. Now you need to consult the clerk of courts office in your county to find out how to file for a name change.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

question about changing name...

If it;s easier to change name at marriage, wouldnt that confuse the SS system?...since marriage came before applying for SS...or did i get it backward?

I read somwhere on VJ, to wait and do the name change after SS...can someone confirm.

Linh & Ngan

Timeline
question about changing name...

If it;s easier to change name at marriage, wouldnt that confuse the SS system?...since marriage came before applying for SS...or did i get it backward?

I read somwhere on VJ, to wait and do the name change after SS...can someone confirm.

Changing the name at the time of the marriage (when you submit the marriage certificate to the court) is easiest.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

thanks...

what i am concern about is that...it will take USCIS sometime to get the fiance name into the SS system. At this time, it will be the name that is listed on the passport.

So if you get married and change your name right away, the new name might not make it to the SS system. It will still be under the original name.

There was a topic that disucss this issue...cant find it anymore

Linh & Ngan

Timeline
thanks...

what i am concern about is that...it will take USCIS sometime to get the fiance name into the SS system. At this time, it will be the name that is listed on the passport.

So if you get married and change your name right away, the new name might not make it to the SS system. It will still be under the original name.

There was a topic that disucss this issue...cant find it anymore

If that's the case, you just take your name change docs out to the SS Administration and they'll have you fill out new forms and have one sent to you.

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

GENERAL INFO

THE NEXT STEPS...

[*]09/28/2011 - NOA1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.