Kenza

Flooding in Morocco

11 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

My husband is supposed to visit Morocco on Thursday and will land in Casa but our family lives in Rabat. He told me about the flooding on the phone and just saw videos posted by my cousins on Facebook. I'm telling him to cancel his trip, have you heard anything?

Met: 2004-07-18

Islamic marriage: 2006-07-31

Marriage : 2008-12-27

Entry San Fran 2009-09-27

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

Received welcome letter 2009-10-10

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

Driver's License 2009-10-26

HUBBY FOUND A JOB!!! after about 4 months of being here :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

My husband showed me pictures on one of his newspaper sites of the flooding. It don't look good. I have no clue where it was in Morocco or the extent of damage but you can probably find something on one of their newspapers online.

07/21/11 filed AOS off tourist visa

07/28/11 USCIS cashed check

07/30/11 Recieved NOA1 and Biometrics letter

08/24/2011 Biometrics

08/25/2011 RFE sent to us for some info we've already sent in

08/30/2011 sent in the rest of info USCIS asked for

09/13/2011 went to congressman's office to sign papers for expedite of work permit, due to financial hardship

09/15/2011 Work permit expedite approved!! He can finally find a job!

09/24/2011 work permit arrives

09/26/2011 Apply for social security number!

09/30/2011 Letter is sent for interview

11/07/2011 INTERVIEW!!!

Its 2012 and still no approval! Still waiting

01/27/2012 Letter sent stating that file was sent on for more review :(

9iad5hjppr.png

Timeline

It's in Rabat :crying: I told my husband to cancel his scheduled trip on Thursday because it's not safe but he won't listen to me. I'm so mad right now cuz i'm going to be worried sick!

floods

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

My husband is supposed to visit Morocco on Thursday and will land in Casa but our family lives in Rabat. He told me about the flooding on the phone and just saw videos posted by my cousins on Facebook. I'm telling him to cancel his trip, have you heard anything?

My husband briefly mentioned that it was horrible rain and flooding, and that it was similar to the recent flooding (was that in the spring? I can't remember - where people had died.) He hasn't mentioned it since last week, if I'm remembering correctly. Is there still flooding, or has it settled down since last week?

Timeline

3 people died in this flooding and I have yet to talk to my dad who is there right now, but I talked to my cousins and they said that it was really bad but now most of the streets are cleared of water. So, once I talk to my dad, if he says it is safe then my husband will go, if not, he is canceling his trip. I was just having a freak-out moment, thanks everyone (L)

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

3 people died in this flooding and I have yet to talk to my dad who is there right now, but I talked to my cousins and they said that it was really bad but now most of the streets are cleared of water. So, once I talk to my dad, if he says it is safe then my husband will go, if not, he is canceling his trip. I was just having a freak-out moment, thanks everyone (L)

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/busi...tenday/MOXX0001

Kenza,

Hope all in your family are okay. Here's a link to the weather in Morocco for the next ten days - a lot of the days look like they're going to be sunny.

I have a facebook video on my profile, where it shows La Gare D'Agdal by the American school . It is some how serious

"Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people."

Timeline

My family says that all the streets are cleared now of the water, so it looks like my husband will be going on Thursday after all.

Hubby is HOME!!!!

Received SSN 2009-10-06

GREEN CARD!!! 2009-10-13

My family says that all the streets are cleared now of the water, so it looks like my husband will be going on Thursday after all.

Heavy rain disrupts traffic in Moroccan capital region

2009-09-16

Torrential rainfall interrupted busy workday traffic Tuesday, with many main roads and train routes completely cut off in Rabat.

By Siham Ali for Magharebia in Rabat – 16/09/09

[siham Ali] Weather made for a long and treacherous commute Tuesday in Rabat.

Heavy rain disrupted traffic and damaged homes and businesses in several cities in Morocco. In Rabat on Tuesday (September 15th), commuters braved roads totally submerged in flood waters that city sewers had failed to absorb.

Some vehicles were left fully under water and the authorities had to intervene to relieve congestion along the main roads of Rabat and the neighbouring towns of Salé and Temara, where many workers and students live.

Civil protection mobilised 60 officers to deal with complaints from the public and tackle the flooding, and 22 trucks were dispatched to pump water out of affected areas.

Agdal station in Rabat was also flooded to such an extent that the movement of trains between Rabat and Casablanca was disrupted all morning. Rail activity resumed at 2pm, according to the National Railway Office.

"It was an ordeal that went on for hours," said commuter Samia Badri, who didn't get to work until 1pm.

Mohamed Belouchi, a communications officer for the National Meteorological Office, said that 33 millimetres of rain fell in Rabat and Salé between 7am and 9am on Tuesday.

Some blamed Redal, a company contracted to supply drinking water and electricity in the Rabat region, for failing to clear water mains.

Othmane Brahami, a public-sector worker who took two and a half hours to get to work in Hassan instead of the usual 20 minutes, called on officials to take control of the situation and save the capital. "All my colleagues arrived late," he said. "At some banks, work stopped since staff members were unable to get in on time. There have been huge losses, for which Redal will have to compensate us."

The Redal company assured the public that the situation was caused by a natural emergency. In a press statement, chief executive officer Jean-Michel Tiberi said that the traffic disruption witnessed in Rabat was due to "exceptional rain that within three hours equalled the amount of rain we would normally get in a month".

He said that the sewerage network could not contain such a large quantity of water and that crossroads, main roads and roads leading to schools had to be dealt with before individual problems could be addressed.

In addition to Rabat and several other regions, Casablanca was also affected by the heavy rainfall. Numerous districts in the economic capital were left under water on September 10th and 11th. Utility company Lydec was compelled to intervene in the most vulnerable locations, to prevent similar situations from reoccurring in the future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.