appledrop

Petitioner Address Change

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Does anyone know anything about the petitioner changing addresses before the beneficiary has their visa interview?

I plan on moving within the next 3 weeks. My fiance just sent his Packet 3 off last week, so we'll get his interview date soon. I'm not sure what to do.

I know that there is a form called the AR-11, but from all the research I've done it seems like the AR-11 only applies for those that are inbetween their AOS filing date and their AOS interview.

So, if I am moving and he still has not had his visa interview, who should I notify? Should I notify anyone?

Also, once he gets here we will be moving again, before he applies for his AOS. So how does the notification work there?

I realize this is complicated, but the moves cannot be avoided.

I would REALLY appreciate anyone's personal stories, advice, and help.

Does anyone know anything about the petitioner changing addresses before the beneficiary has their visa interview?

I plan on moving within the next 3 weeks. My fiance just sent his Packet 3 off last week, so we'll get his interview date soon. I'm not sure what to do.

I know that there is a form called the AR-11, but from all the research I've done it seems like the AR-11 only applies for those that are inbetween their AOS filing date and their AOS interview.

So, if I am moving and he still has not had his visa interview, who should I notify? Should I notify anyone?

Also, once he gets here we will be moving again, before he applies for his AOS. So how does the notification work there?

I realize this is complicated, but the moves cannot be avoided.

I would REALLY appreciate anyone's personal stories, advice, and help.

I (the USC) changed my address mid-process using the online change of address (what looks like the AR-11) and had no issues. They sent me a confirmation by mail to the new address within a couple of weeks - had they not, I would have called to confirm.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

When you're at the change of address page - one of the options/steps is:

Is this change of address for a U.S. Citizen?

Yes, this change of address is for a US Citizen <--select this one

•No, this change of address is not for a US Citizen

THEN

Do you have any Applications or Petitions Pending with USCIS?

Yes, I have one or more Pending Applications or Petitions<--select this one

•No, I do not have any Pending Applications or Petitions

The rest should be pretty obvious...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It's always a good idea to refer to the form instructions.

From the I-129F instructions:

If you change your address and you have an application or petition pending with USCIS, you may change your address on-line at www.uscis.gov, click on "Change your address with USCIS" and follow the prompts or by completing and mailing Form AR-11, Alien's Change of Address Card, to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Change of Address

P.O. Box 7134

London, KY 40742-7134

For commercial overnight or fast freight services only, mail to:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Change of Address

1084-I South Laurel Road

London, KY 40744

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I did the same. I changed mine online with no issues, got the letter confirmation and all was good.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Timeline
I (the USC) changed my address mid-process using the online change of address (what looks like the AR-11) and had no issues. They sent me a confirmation by mail to the new address within a couple of weeks - had they not, I would have called to confirm.

https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=coa

When you're at the change of address page - one of the options/steps is:

Is this change of address for a U.S. Citizen?

Yes, this change of address is for a US Citizen <--select this one

•No, this change of address is not for a US Citizen

THEN

Do you have any Applications or Petitions Pending with USCIS?

Yes, I have one or more Pending Applications or Petitions<--select this one

•No, I do not have any Pending Applications or Petitions

The rest should be pretty obvious...

Thank you. I wasn't sure if our case would be considered Pending, since our files are at the London embassy now and he will be having his interview very soon (don't have date yet).

Also, what would be the case if he has been approved and has his visa, has not entered the US yet, but I move?

So does that mean when he arrives here he will not have to do anything to show the change of address?

What about when we move BEFORE his AOS?

Our visa case will not be pending at that time (since he will have had it, and we'll be married) but it will be before the AOS...does the AR-11 still apply?

Thanks so much, I apologize if I'm not making any sense.

Edited by appledrop

If your fiance's case is now at the London embassy, you do not have a petition pending at USCIS—it's already been approved. You don't need to notify them of your change of address.

If you've moved prior to AOS, you'll simply use the new address on the AOS paperwork.

Edited by Stephen + Elisha

Improved USCIS Form G-325A (Biographic Information)

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

You should still notify them of the change of address online so you can get the document that states they received your change of address. This way if you have future problems, you have valid proof that the USCIS has been notified of your change of address.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

You should still notify them of the change of address online so you can get the document that states they received your change of address. This way if you have future problems, you have valid proof that the USCIS has been notified of your change of address.

:no: If you don't have a pending petition, the online system will not accept a change of address for a US citizen.

Once again, unless you have a pending petition, there's no need to notify USCIS of your change of address.

Form field input font changed to allow entry of dates in the specified format and to provide more space for addresses and employment history. This is the 6/12/09 version of the form; the current version is 8/8/11, but previous versions are accepted per the USCIS forms page.

Timeline

I didn't have a pending petition when i filed my change of address. I was already approved and my husband was here with a 2 year conditional green card and we have not yet removed conditions and it let me change my address online so I fear you are mistaken.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline

Right or wrong.. never hurts to try to change your address with the USCIS... can't go wrong with an attempt I suppose.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

I didn't have a pending petition when i filed my change of address. I was already approved and my husband was here with a 2 year conditional green card and we have not yet removed conditions and it let me change my address online so I fear you are mistaken.

No, I'm not.

You were required to notify USCIS of your change of address because you filed an I-864 Affidavit of Support for your husband at the time of AOS.

For the OP, whose I-129F has already been approved but fiance has not yet received a K-1, the system will not accept an online change of address.

If you don't believe me, try it. Go to the USCIS change of address page, click "Yes, this change of address is for a U.S. Citizen." Then click "No, I do not have any Pending Applications or Petitions." You'll get the following message:

U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within ten days of the completion of your move.

Timeline

No, I'm not.

You were required to notify USCIS of your change of address because you filed an I-864 Affidavit of Support for your husband at the time of AOS.

For the OP, whose I-129F has already been approved but fiance has not yet received a K-1, the system will not accept an online change of address.

If you don't believe me, try it. Go to the USCIS change of address page, click "Yes, this change of address is for a U.S. Citizen." Then click "No, I do not have any Pending Applications or Petitions." You'll get the following message:

U.S. Citizens who do not have an application or petition pending with USCIS are only legally required to notify USCIS of a change of address if they have previously submitted a Form I-864 on behalf of someone who has become a permanent resident. If you have previously submitted a Form I-864 for someone who immigrated to the U.S., you must complete a Form I-865 within ten days of the completion of your move.

Fair enough, but I always aim to try to offer the best advice and trying to be legit is a lot better than not filing the change of address within the 10 days they allow. I personally would rather try it and be safe then be sorry.

TIME LINE 2007

01/25/07-We Got Married!

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/09/10- Touched

Timeline
If your fiance's case is now at the London embassy, you do not have a petition pending at USCIS—it's already been approved. You don't need to notify them of your change of address.

If you've moved prior to AOS, you'll simply use the new address on the AOS paperwork.

Thank you! I thought something like this would be the case but it was hard to find anything that related to mys pecific situation. :)

• 6 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I think I basically have the same question discussed in this thread.

I have moved and changed addresses in between the I-129F approval and AOS stages. I just used my new address for the AOS paperwork. From reading on the USCIS site and on this forum, it would appear that is all I would need to do. My only worry is that on the approved I-I29F we put that she intends to live at my old address. This may be a silly question, but do the USCIS and foreign embassies communicate that change to each other, or do I need to notify the USCIS.

I just wonder if at her interview the consulate will look at the I-129F and see one address, then at the AOS and see another, and may wonder what the issue is. It would appear, though, that, since the petition is no longer pending, it is not required that I notify the USCIS.

I am considering filling out the "change of address" online with the USCIS and just pretending as if I didn't know the difference between pending and approved, just to be safe. :)

Eli and Galie

• 4 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.