Matt_Stevens

How can I talk to a HUMAN BEING ar USCIS?

7 posts in this topic

I got it at one point but I can't remember how...try the more obscure menus and the options that don't fit any of the above?

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: IR-5 Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think you call the 1800 number and them dial 1...then 2....then 3. and you will talk to someone.

Maryces21

Mother's Journey

12/30/11 Sent I-130 Petition to CSC

01/14/11 Received NOA 1 (Priority date 01/02/11)

02/14/11 Could see case online

05/04/11 Waiting.......I am pregnant and I wish my Mom could be here when baby is born

05/23/11 Received email. Case approved. Yeahhhhhh

05/26/11 Received NOA 2 in the mail.

--------------NVC stage-----------------

06/07/11 NVC received case.

06/08/11 Called to give emails and got IIN.

06/10/11 Sent DS3032 email and paid AOS fee. Received auto response 15 seconds later.

06/14/11 AOS Showed Paid. Sent AOS Package.

06/16/11 NVC Received and accepted DS3032. AOS Package was delivered to NVC.

06/17/11 Paid IV fee.

06/22/11 IV Showed Paid.

06/23/11 Sent DS-230 via Express Mail.

06/24/11 DS 230 was delivered by USPS.

06/28/11 AOS was accepted per AVR.

06/30/11 Received AOS check list. Missing DS-230. (It was sent 06/23/11)

07/07/11 Case Complete per AVR and operator. Waiting for interview date.

08/01/11 Per NVC Operator Interview date 09/28/11

09/26/11 Medical test. Passed!!!!

09/28/11 Interview date @ BGT embassy. Approved!!!!!!!

10/06/11 Visa arrived.

10/19/11 Arrived to USA. POE ORLANDO

11/14/11 Received Green Card

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I got it at one point but I can't remember how...try the more obscure menus and the options that don't fit any of the above?

This is an interesting dilemma that USCIS has created. It states the hours when an operator can be reached but then it's impossible to actually reach one. For me, it was actually necessary to reach them since calling was the only way to state that I couldn't come to an interview.

The only reliable option I have discovered is to press nothing. Even the initial English/Spanish. The computer assumes you have a rotary phone and directs you to an operator. You'll still have to wait on hold while listening to recordings in alternating English and Spanish, but it beats recording hell. Also, the operator will begin speaking in Spanish. For whatever reason, USCIS assumes that the majority of rotary phone owners are Spanish speakers. Speak in English and the Spanish operators are all bilingual, at least all the ones I have met.

Other than this, I have wandered the wastelands that are the obscure menus of USCIS and have found nothing resembling human life. The change of address loophole, exploited by many, was recently shored up to create yet another dead end. You now get a recording which instructs you how to change your address by mail or online.

Edited by SMR

• 1 year later...
Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline

I just called the national service center and talked with an operator. Here's how I did it:

1. Call 1-800-375-5283

2. press 1 for English

3. press 2 for check on case

4. press 6 for "I don't know receipt number" (though I did know my receipt number, it's just a way to connect to the operator. It seems like the operator didn't really know what I pressed, and started asking manual questions to figure out the reason I called. She also asked me my receipt number and I gave her one, and she wasn't like, "Liar, you indicated you don't have a receipt number!!" but more like, "OK, give me a moment to see what's going on with your case" ;))

Hope it works for you, too :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.