trailmix

Did you feel safer in Canada or in the U.S.?

178 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm glad this thread was started. I felt much safer back in Canada, I lived just outside of Sault Ste. Marie, Heyden to be precise. The only thing I ever worried about was bears, and the kids and dog made enough noise to keep them away. I lived there about 10yrs and I only locked my door after I booted the ex out cause he would try to sneak in. I lived in an area that had alot of drunks and drugs but they never bothered us. For the longest time I was the only one that lived on that street. There were no street lights and I felt totaly safe walking at night the kids even played outside late running around and I never worried about them.

Here we live in North Little Rock, Arkansas and other then in the house and the block I don't feel safe at all. I know its crazy but I can't help it ppl are weird here. I don't know how else to explain it. I don't really go anywhere without my hubby except the park and up the road. I've been thinking about going to the doctor thinking i'm crazy for feeling like this. So thanks for starting this I don't feel so bad now.

Danielle

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Southern ON - hands down. Sure stuff happened where I lived, but not the same stuff as here, near DC. I lived in a smaller town obviously (Kitchener)

The number one thing on the news is who and how many people have been shot in DC overnight. 1 or 2 is light night. Many times 5-8 shooting deaths in an evening is standard.

I have to say that not once in 37 years in Kitchener did I picture pulling up to a light and having someone pull a gun out in the car next to me because they're PO'd........but this is a weird new fear I have. someone with bad road rage with be carrying a gun that day and I'll have somehow pi$$ed them off. And the gun will be legal to boot! - Don't even get me started.

There was a couple recently who were beaten (the husband killed) when they were out for their early morning walk with their dog...it was gang-initiation related. It's freaked me out that although my neighbourhood is friendly, what if they'd taken a trip down my street instead?

A little irrational perhaps, but I do not feel as safe here even though I live in the average, all-american, people-who-don't-even- know-me-wave neighbourhood....I just don't feel safe.

I have that fear too.... I get sooo nervous when my husband makes eye contact with other drivers! I say PLEASE STOP LOOKING AT THEM!!! You hear about road rage alot more down here, people shooting or chasing eachother

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Southern ON - hands down. Sure stuff happened where I lived, but not the same stuff as here, near DC. I lived in a smaller town obviously (Kitchener)

The number one thing on the news is who and how many people have been shot in DC overnight. 1 or 2 is light night. Many times 5-8 shooting deaths in an evening is standard.

I have to say that not once in 37 years in Kitchener did I picture pulling up to a light and having someone pull a gun out in the car next to me because they're PO'd........but this is a weird new fear I have. someone with bad road rage with be carrying a gun that day and I'll have somehow pi$$ed them off. And the gun will be legal to boot! - Don't even get me started.

There was a couple recently who were beaten (the husband killed) when they were out for their early morning walk with their dog...it was gang-initiation related. It's freaked me out that although my neighbourhood is friendly, what if they'd taken a trip down my street instead?

A little irrational perhaps, but I do not feel as safe here even though I live in the average, all-american, people-who-don't-even- know-me-wave neighbourhood....I just don't feel safe.

I have that fear too.... I get sooo nervous when my husband makes eye contact with other drivers! I say PLEASE STOP LOOKING AT THEM!!! You hear about road rage alot more down here, people shooting or chasing eachother

Good - so I'm not crazy! Yep - road rage is a big issue I feel around here anyway. People tailgate and bully and yell. I mean what's wrong with flipping the bird and being done with it for pete's sake? Even that's not very nice

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Timeline
:lol: oh wow! This reminds me of a funny story! My husband and I were coming back from the mall last week and there's one part of the road where its a right hand merge. Common, simple. So we're behind this middle age woman in an SUV going super slow, and obviously doesn't understand the concept of the word "merge" so she basically just stops on the ramp! So my husband goes around here, since there are no cars coming at all! Anyways, so the crazy woman gasses it and starts coming towards us and basically tries to force us off the road. So at this point, were both laughing like crazy because she's obviously a very poor driver, is irrational, and has a ridiculous temper. So she gets back in her lane and we drive up the left, I look at her and she's giving us the dirtiest look and is yelling something. So what to I do? I point at her, and start laughing like crazy :lol: Very mature. And then we get up to a stop light, and she's even more upset now, so I continue to laugh, my husband joins me, and I swear to god, she was a bright shade of red. Long story short, I love making crazy people angry... One day I may get shot.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm American and hubby hates it when I drive. :lol: He always tell me, "STOP IT, WE'RE GOING TO GET SHOT!"

No dear, it's okay to flash my lights at the idiot going 50mph in the left lane of a 70mph highway!

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Someone was stopped at a red light and I guess felt they were too far in the intersection and backed up into my brother. My brother followed them all the way home and scared the ####### out of them LOL

I am also scared of the bears that live in the bush behind my place :unsure:

12/31/2009 - Marriage

07/21/2010 - AOS approved

08/04/2010 - Green Card received (and it's actually green!)

05/30/2012 - Sent ROC packet to VSC

06/08/2012 - Received NOA1 for ROC (Dated 06/04/2012)

Timeline
:lol: oh wow! This reminds me of a funny story! My husband and I were coming back from the mall last week and there's one part of the road where its a right hand merge. Common, simple. So we're behind this middle age woman in an SUV going super slow, and obviously doesn't understand the concept of the word "merge" so she basically just stops on the ramp! So my husband goes around here, since there are no cars coming at all! Anyways, so the crazy woman gasses it and starts coming towards us and basically tries to force us off the road. So at this point, were both laughing like crazy because she's obviously a very poor driver, is irrational, and has a ridiculous temper. So she gets back in her lane and we drive up the left, I look at her and she's giving us the dirtiest look and is yelling something. So what to I do? I point at her, and start laughing like crazy :lol: Very mature. And then we get up to a stop light, and she's even more upset now, so I continue to laugh, my husband joins me, and I swear to god, she was a bright shade of red. Long story short, I love making crazy people angry... One day I may get shot.

:rofl:

K-1

I-129F sent to Vermont: 2/19/08

NOA1: 2/21/08

NOA2: 3/10/08

Packet 3 recd: 3/25/08

Packet 3 sent: 4/18/08

Appt letter recd: 6/16/08

Interview at Montreal Consulate: 7/10/08 **APPROVED!!**

K1 recd: 7/15/08

US Entry at Buffalo, New York: 11/15/08

Wedding in Philadelphia: 11/22/08

AOS

AOS/EAD/AP filed at Chicago Lockbox: 12/17/08

NOA: 12/29/08

Case transferred to CSC: 1/7/09

AOS Approval: 4/2/09

Biometrics appt: 1/16/09

EAD received: 3/12/09

AP received: 3/13/09

AOS approval notice sent: 4/2/09

GC received: 4/9/09

ROC

Sent package to VSC: 1/5/11

NOA1: 1/7/11

Biometrics: 2/14/11

Approval letter received: 8/1/11

GC received: 8/11/11

Citizenship:

N-400 sent to Dallas lockbox: 3/1/12

NOA1: 3/6/12

Biometrics: 4/9/12

Interview: 5/25/12

Oath Ceremony: 6/4/2012

Timeline
Someone was stopped at a red light and I guess felt they were too far in the intersection and backed up into my brother. My brother followed them all the way home and scared the ####### out of them LOL

I am also scared of the bears that live in the bush behind my place :unsure:

My psychotic mother did that twice that I can remember (these are all in Florida and involve senior citizens). Guy pulled out in front of us in the parking lot and my mother followed him to HIS HOUSE and started screaming at him.

Second time, lady pulls out in front of my mother who was going 50mph and the lady was going 30. Mom followed her and started screaming at her, too. Old lady rolls down her window and goes, "Shut up you stupid young cow!" :lol:

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You know what's funny? I've actually had that "gun pulled on you while you're driving thing" happen. TWICE.

Both times were down in Miami. Once on a main road in Miami and once on I-95 driving back home from a club. People have some serious friggin' road rage down there. Both times we pulled off the highway and headed for a gas station or somewhere very well lit and full of people.

Either way, scary as hell and SO NOT COOL.

Timeline

I live near DC too and don't feel unsafe at all but I am originally from NY so perhaps I have a higher tolerance. Or as Derek says, I am just oblivious. :whistle: And funny that you should mention the shootings in DC. I swear every time he calls his family/friends back in Montreal his conversations always start with the overnight death count - and he wonders why they rarely visit us! BTW, the wife in that couple is a coworker of mine. The whole story was so sad and no one is sure if she will ever come back to work.

I don't feel unsafe in Montreal either, but I think in general (whether in Canada or the US) I feel safer in rural/suburban areas than in cities but unfortunately sh!t can happen anywhere so I just make sure to be aware of my surroundings no matter where I am. Strangely my Mom in Vermont is the one who doesn't lock the doors of her house or her car and Derek is always telling her to think of her safety, especially since she lives alone. During one visit to VT he locked the doors when we all went out for the day. When we got home my Mom desperately needed to pee and when she discovered the doors were locked she went off on him because she doesn't normally even carry her house keys with her amd was thinking she was going to have to pee in the backyard. Fortunately she had her keys that day - but Derek doesn't touch her locks now. :lol:

canadaC.gif - Derek usaCa.gif- KJ

TIMELINE

Civil Ceremony - 02/19/2005

I-130 Mailed Out - 02/25/2005

I-130 NOA1 - 03/04/2005

I-130 Approved - 04/07/2005

Pay I-864 - 05/13/2005

Return I-864 - 07/22/2005 *We mailed in the wrong birth certificate which led to a month or so delay*

Family Ceremony - 10/22/2005

Interview in Montreal - 12/22/2005

Activate Visa - 12/25/2005

Move to Virginia - 04/06/2006

Mailed I-751 - 11/02/2007

Received in Vermont - 11/05/2007

Check Cashed by VSC - 11/09/2007

Received NOA 1 - 11/10/2007

Biometrics - 01/10/2008

Card production ordered - 09/10/2008

Card received! - 09/17/2008

Now on to citizenship...

I definitely feel safer in Canada. My city (Guelph) barely had any crime (comparatively), I grew up there my whole life, and I felt safe and comfortable. Here in California I don't feel safe at all. I live in a pretty good neighbourhood and all but I almost feel like I'm bombarded with stories of horrible crimes that are happening all around me. The Modesto newspaper website has a link on it where the Turlock police list a lot of arrests and calls that they make in a day and that doesn't help my paranoia either. We live on the second floor and my fiance likes to keep the windows and patio door open at night, but I made him start closing and locking the patio door at night because it seems like it would be easy for someone to climb from the stairs to our balcony door.

I know a lot of my paranoia has to do with the fact that I've only been here for 3 months. I'm sure once I get more comfortable, I'll be able to relax a bit (hopefully!!).

Our Timeline - AOS from J-1 & J-2

10/03/09 - Wedding in Reno, NV

01/14/10 - I-485, I-130, I-765 & I-131 filed

01/25/10 - Checks cashed, NOAs sent!! (Day 1)

01/28/10 - NOAs received - dated 1/25/10 (Day 3)

02/04/10 - Biometrics letter received! (Day 10)

02/16/10 - Biometrics appointment, Modesto, CA - COMPLETED! (Day 22)

03/11/10 - Received interview notice - April 15, 2010 in Fresno, CA (Day 45)

03/18/10 - AP Approved (for my daughter - not me)!! (Day 52)

03/24/10 - Touch I-485 and email that RFE received on 2/18/10 (Day 58)

04/05/10 - INFOPASS appointment -- was told NBC must have decided not to process AP or EAD because interview was so soon. (Day 70)

04/13/10 - Email - EAD Card production ordered, Touch on my AP (Day 78)

04/15/10 - Interview @ 10:30am - APPROVED!!! Email - Green Card production ordered! (Day 80)

04/16/10 - My AP received in mail (no approval email), ANOTHER email EAD Card production ordered, Touch on I-765, I-485 & I-130 (Day 81)

04/20/10 - Green card status changed to post-decision activity, Touch on I-765 & I-485 (Day 85)

04/26/10 - Greencard RECEIVED!!!! (Day 91)

Our Timeline - ROC

02/09/12 - I-751 Filed

Timeline

We feel pretty safe up here in northern california, but this is also a safe neighborhood and i grew up here, so nothing ever happens.

Edited by wowswift

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

i think it all depends on where you live in the US or Canada.. if you live in a big city you are probably not going to feel as safe whereas if you live out in the country or in a small town you probably would feel safer..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

Small town Canada to largish urban US.. not apples to apples. I don't feel any less "safe" probably.. but I watch my back more and depend a whole lot less on those around me. If I started screaming and kicking an attacker here, I wouldn't expect anyone would come to my rescue.. back home, my peeps' 'd have my back :)

Oh and don't watch the US news.. that helps a lot..

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Neither one or the other. Lived in Guelph and Windsor in Canada and Maui, Colorado Springs and Denver in the US. Seems there's more fighting in the Canadian cities with bar patrons then there are here. I have never really had the experience of having anything happen to me (other then my plates stolen on my car twice).

My brother in Ottawa has been burgularized twice in the same month before. I really don't feel one is more or less safer then the other I guess. I used to feel safer walking in Detroit then in Windsor though for the most part since Detroit was pretty much vacant and Windsor can be rough with the fights and crime (as my friend who lives there is telling me it's getting worse and worse).

I see street people, drug addicts, shady people, gangster folks in both countries. I just think some areas and parts of the country are going to be safer then others reglardless of which country you're talking about.

Drivers on the other hand, Canadians drive incredibly slow here and in Canada and have had more close calls there then I ever have in the US and I have driven in the US many more years then in Canada.

Then again my wife (ex) can't believe I walk across busy streets without using the light and waiting for the green walk thing. She thinks now that Canadians are this dangerous breed and I'm going to get her killed by doing that...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.