10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi to all, I have a qiuck question about AOS. I filed a K1 Visa for my finace, and everything was approved, and she arrived here in June. We got married June 24. I sent in all the paper work for AOS and the fees required. Here is my problem and question. My wife has a 6 year old daughter that was aprroved with the K1 Visa, she also arrived here with my wife. So when I sent in the paper work for AOS I sent both my wife and her daughter on the same form I-486, plus the fee of $1610.00. $910.00 for my wife, $600.00 for her daughter and $80.00 for the finger prints. Our paperwork was sent back saying we sumitted the wrong fee, that the fee should have been $910.00 for the AOS, and $80.00 for the finger prints, so are we to send in a separate I-485 for her daughter? I thought it was all sent in on the same form since her daughter is 6 years old. Also we sent in form I-786 for a one time permit to travel out of US. That was sent back also saying that we need to send in$350.00 with that form to complete the I-786. I am very sure that when you send in a form I-486 AOS this is included with the process. Problem is that I already sent back our forms with the fees they are saying, but I think they are wrong and we filled out our paperwork correct. I tried calling to find out through the UCIS office but all you get is the automation voice. Is there a way to contact a human at the UCIS branch? The notice we recieved also stated to send the form I-786 with the check amount of $350.00 to the Nebraska office and bnot the Chicago office so I did that, but now I need to cancel that check because they are wrong. My main concern is my wifes daughter. I thought since she is a minor she is covered under my wifes I-485. Am I right or wrong? The only thing that was rejected was the amount of the check I sent, and again I sent $1610.00 for both. Just need an idea what to do now since I did what they said, but I think they are wrong.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Correction about form I-786, It is form I-131 that was also returned saying I need to send $350.00 for that form also,but it should be all included with the AOS filing.

To get a live person follow the prompts to change address and tell them what you want.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Correct Fee Totals:

EAD(seperate from AOS) - 340

AOS(for K-1 applicant this includes fingerprints) - 1010

AOS(for K-2 applicant again includes fingerprints) - 600

And yes you need to send in seperate paperwork for both the mother and the daughter, I'm not sure about making all the payments on the same cheque.

Edited by Jauque

K-1

05/05/2009 - NOA1

07/17/2009 - NOA2

08/27/2009 - Visa Received

10/09/2009 - Married

AOS/EAD

11/18/2009 - NOA1

01/15/2010 - EAD Approved

02/25/2010 - AOS Interview

Adjuticator's Field Manual

Old VJ Adjuticator Q/A

Disclaimer : 100% of the time I only think I know what I'm talking about.

Correct Fee Totals:

EAD(seperate from AOS) - 340

AOS(for K-1 applicant this includes fingerprints) - 1010

AOS(for K-2 applicant again includes fingerprints) - 600

And yes you need to send in seperate paperwork for both the mother and the daughter, I'm not sure about making all the payments on the same cheque.

The EAD I-765 cost is included in the K-1 AOS. See here

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi to all, I have a qiuck question about AOS. I filed a K1 Visa for my finace, and everything was approved, and she arrived here in June. We got married June 24. I sent in all the paper work for AOS and the fees required. Here is my problem and question. My wife has a 6 year old daughter that was aprroved with the K1 Visa, she also arrived here with my wife. So when I sent in the paper work for AOS I sent both my wife and her daughter on the same form I-486, plus the fee of $1610.00. $910.00 for my wife, $600.00 for her daughter and $80.00 for the finger prints. Our paperwork was sent back saying we sumitted the wrong fee, that the fee should have been $910.00 for the AOS, and $80.00 for the finger prints, so are we to send in a separate I-485 for her daughter? I thought it was all sent in on the same form since her daughter is 6 years old. Also we sent in form I-786 for a one time permit to travel out of US. That was sent back also saying that we need to send in$350.00 with that form to complete the I-786. I am very sure that when you send in a form I-486 AOS this is included with the process. Problem is that I already sent back our forms with the fees they are saying, but I think they are wrong and we filled out our paperwork correct. I tried calling to find out through the UCIS office but all you get is the automation voice. Is there a way to contact a human at the UCIS branch? The notice we recieved also stated to send the form I-786 with the check amount of $350.00 to the Nebraska office and bnot the Chicago office so I did that, but now I need to cancel that check because they are wrong. My main concern is my wifes daughter. I thought since she is a minor she is covered under my wifes I-485. Am I right or wrong? The only thing that was rejected was the amount of the check I sent, and again I sent $1610.00 for both. Just need an idea what to do now since I did what they said, but I think they are wrong.

You need separate I-485s for each applicant and separate supporting documents, including I-864 for each. It is OK to write ONE check for both (it is what I did) but you need separate documents. PUT ALL OF THEM in one envelope when you mail it. Send it to the Chicago office, nowhere else. They are not wrong, you did not do it correctly. Just be glad they rejected it so you can quickly correct it and return it.

The amount of the check is WRONG because you only sent an I-485 for your wife, not your wife and daughter...one person per form. Again you are lucky! No harm is done and you lousy only two weeks in getting it back. You can send them back the SAME check, just make sure you also include an application for your daughter also.

For the travel document you should file for the I-131, not the I-786. This is for the AP which is a multiple entry travel document and it is FREE when filed with the AOS. Read the guides. Include an I-131 for your wife and daughter in the package and do not be suprised if your I-786 is also rejected as it is not the correct form for a K-1 visa applicant. I would go ahead and stop payment on the $350 check, though you will probably get it back. You need to get all this in order and make sure it is correct before sending it out again.

You can also include an I-785 form for an employement authorization at no extra charge when you file for AOS. You will need separate passport photos for each document applied for, so get plenty of each person. Each person and each document is a whole separate application, matters not if they are 2 months old or 20 years old. Just make sure to put it all in one envelope.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
Correction about form I-786, It is form I-131 that was also returned saying I need to send $350.00 for that form also,but it should be all included with the AOS filing.

Correct. You both made mistakes, looks like. Re do the I-131 and send it with everything else. ONE FOR EACH PERSON, there is no additional fee when filed with the AOS.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Correct. You both made mistakes, looks like. Re do the I-131 and send it with everything else. ONE FOR EACH PERSON, there is no additional fee when filed with the AOS.

Sorry, tried to edit that and it wouldn't let me! Grrrr.

Here is what happened...

1. Payment for two people but only one application.

2. Application is rejected because payment amount is not correct for ONE person

3. "Free" I-131 is rejected because now there is no I-485 associated with it as the I-485 has been rejected

4. Domino effect

5. The government is unable to explain themselves in a letter..big surprise. And you want to call them and get MORE bad information? And they will handle our health care?

Here is solution

1. File separate I-485, I-131, I-765 (if you choose) for EACH person.

2. Put them ALL in one envelope

3. Write one check for $1610

4. Stop payment on check for $350 or you will NEVER get your money back

5. Include explanation of the stopped payment in the cover letter for the AOS

You are good to go!

One caveat...the $600 fee is ONLY if the child is under age 14 and files with concurrently with the parent. If the child age 14 or older, the fee is $1010 and they would reject BOTH again.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

moved from K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Process & Procedures to Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I came over with my son in may, my husband and i married in july, and we sent our AOS off last week, we did 2 seperate applications (one for myself and one for my son) as far as i know, even though the child is a minor you have to send a seperate application for each child, the fee is lower than an adult fee until the child turns 14.The fee for your wifes daughter should be $600 but you must file it on a seperate form (we did all seperate applications, but sent it all in the same packet with one cheque) E.A.D/travel document is all included if filed with AOS, if filed seperately there will be a charge!

I hope this helps

Selina

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.