amwo

DOS Changes Review Requirements for Visas

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) has issued a final rule on consular supervisory review requirements. The rule became effective June 30, 2006 and changes the previous rule that decisions to approve visas were to be spot checked. Now, instead of spot checking, the rule requires all decisions to approve visas to be reviewed by consular supervisors. Under the rule, the review should occur on the same day as the decision to approve the visa. It is unclear, however, whether high-volume consulates will be able to accomplish this objective. The actual language used says that decisions are to be reviewed "on the day of issuance or as soon as is administratively possible."

The new rule also provides that, unlike in the past, not all denials need to be reviewed. A denial that is reviewed, however, is to be reviewed on the same day, unless the denial occurs because the visa officer determines more information is needed and the visa applicant has indicated that s/he will provide this. In those instances, the consular supervisor has up to 120 days to review the decision of the visa denial.

This change is due to the perception that reviewing visa approvals will advance U.S. border security. We at the Murthy Law Firm will monitor the results of this change and report to our readers any impact on visa issuance timings.

Who is the Murthy law firm?

The U.S. Department of State (DOS) has issued a final rule on consular supervisory review requirements. The rule became effective June 30, 2006 and changes the previous rule that decisions to approve visas were to be spot checked. Now, instead of spot checking, the rule requires all decisions to approve visas to be reviewed by consular supervisors. Under the rule, the review should occur on the same day as the decision to approve the visa. It is unclear, however, whether high-volume consulates will be able to accomplish this objective. The actual language used says that decisions are to be reviewed "on the day of issuance or as soon as is administratively possible."

The new rule also provides that, unlike in the past, not all denials need to be reviewed. A denial that is reviewed, however, is to be reviewed on the same day, unless the denial occurs because the visa officer determines more information is needed and the visa applicant has indicated that s/he will provide this. In those instances, the consular supervisor has up to 120 days to review the decision of the visa denial.

This change is due to the perception that reviewing visa approvals will advance U.S. border security. We at the Murthy Law Firm will monitor the results of this change and report to our readers any impact on visa issuance timings.

Hmmm, that kinda sucks. But, oh well not much we can do about it. Sounds like more of a formality but who knows how long a delay this might cause people. Guess only time will tell.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

DEAN AND SHERYL

The new rule also provides that, unlike in the past, not all denials need to be reviewed.

This is an atrocious part of this policy. It just opens the door to more frivolous and speculative denials. :bonk::unsure::angry:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
Who is the Murthy law firm?

a law firm in dc that has a www. one of the first online sites i got imbra info from. you can sign up for the newsletter but they mostly deal with work visas.

This is an atrocious part of this policy. It just opens the door to more frivolous and speculative denials. :bonk::unsure::angry:

be very, very, very nice to everyone at the consulates!!!!!!!

From what I understand and have read elsewhere on the GAO site, this has come about due to visa malfeasance...the issuance of a visa in exchange for money or something of value, to enable entry into the US of unqualified persons, including those who may mean harm to the US. Earlier guidelines where falling on deaf ears and many consulate posts were failing dismally in this area so now it appears changes will be implemented in order to assist in ensuring visa's are being granted rightfully.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

The new rule also provides that, unlike in the past, not all denials need to be reviewed.

Not a big loss here... I have never heard of a denial that was reversed by this so-called review...

Bartek

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.