DanKorn

Declaration of how you met question I-129F Question

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Hi everyone. This website is great. My fiancee and I just gor engaged and I am starting to fill out the forms. Just a quick question about the declaration of how we met.

How specific and detailed do I need to be? One page can be a lot. Should I cintinue to write about our relationship to the present showing the steps we have taken visiting each other? or stick strictly to when we met each other?

any suggestions will help. Thanks

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi DanKorn,

Congrats on the big engagement! When we sent our form in we talked about where we met in person, how we hung out until we were more than friends, any daily activities we did together, vacations, living together and so forth. Unfortunately we still managed to receive a pesky RFE! However, I would suggest keeping it much shorter than an entire page.

Good luck on your K-1 voyage!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
Hi everyone. This website is great. My fiancee and I just gor engaged and I am starting to fill out the forms. Just a quick question about the declaration of how we met.

How specific and detailed do I need to be? One page can be a lot. Should I cintinue to write about our relationship to the present showing the steps we have taken visiting each other? or stick strictly to when we met each other?

any suggestions will help. Thanks

"while retruning from a trip to Ukraine on September 19, 2007 I had a layover in Prague, CZ Republic. I met Alla while waiting in line for bus tickets to the city"

I attached ONE photo of us together and passport stamps and copies of boarding passes. No RFEs

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

They only want to know briefly how you met in person. Not how you originally met or your love story. Just the facts (when and where) of meeting in person.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Manila, Philippines

I-129F Sent : 2008-12-02

I-129F Receipt Notice : 2008-12-05

RFE: 2009-02-26

Approval Notice: 2009-03-13

NVC Received: 2009-03-23

Left NVC: 2009-05-12

Stuck at NVC 50 days

Interview: 2009-06-23 Passed!

Visa picked up: 2009-06-25

POE Detroit: 2009-07-04

Married: 2009-09-11

Filed for AOS: 2009-09-22

Biometrics taken: 2009-10-29

Advance Parole approved 2009-11-04

Employment Authorization approved 2009-11-04

AOS Appointment 2009-12-15

AOS Approved 2009-12-15

Green Card Received 2010-01-02

Filed for ROC: 2011-09-17

ROC approved 2012-03-21

Green Card Received 2012-03-26

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

No, no, NO! Everyone here is WRONG when it comes to Ecuador filers, and should be mortified at providing information that absolutely does not apply! The prolific "drive-by" poster who regularly parachutes into crucial questions with canned, glib answers is especially at fault, although he will almost never admit it. Beware, now and hereafter.

DanKorn, you will be dealing with the #######, hellhole Guayaquil consulate -- among the worst on Earth. You need to front-load your I-129F petition with all of the "evidence of relationship" that you can muster... and more besides. Specifically, regarding your statement of how you met, include an exhaustively complete statement -- as many pages as it takes! -- to cover every detail of every meeting, contact, and communication that you have ever had with your fiancee, from Day One. (Exclude only any "sending of money" details.) Include EVERY photo that you have ever taken of the two of you together. Include a healthy number of e-mails or chat logs between the two of you in which you discuss substantive "relationship" issues (black out embarrassing or sensitive portions with a thick marker). Writing a NOVEL, with supporting information, will not be too much.

Before you file, I even recommend that you procure one-page letters (they need not be notarized) from your people and hers that attest to the validity of your relationship. The letters should contain the correct information about when you first began contact, how & when you first met, and the correct spelling of her name; otherwise, the letters should be in each writer's own words. Signed hard copies are best (they need not be notarized, although this would be a nice touch if not an inconvenience to the writer); scans of signed hard copies will suffice; e-mails will do if neither of the foregoing can be procured. Each letter should state who the writer is and include his/her FULL contact information. Collect more from your people (5, 8, 10) than from hers (3 will do, and in more formal language). The letters should be addressed "U.S. Consulate - Guayaquil, Ecuador."

These MUST be included in the I-129F filing. Why? The Guayaquil consulate is known for refusing to accept evidence that is brought to interviews. USCIS does not care about the inclusion of this information, but the consulate cannot deny its existence if it knows that USCIS has seen it.

Go to the Latin American forum here and read the thread "US Consulate in Guayaquil, Ecuador" (I just bumped it to the top) for only a hint of the horrors that could await you. It goes without saying that if you want a prayer of procuring a visa, YOU WILL ATTEND HER INTERVIEW. Also, do not believe the ordinary-sounding or positive "embassy reviews" about Guayaquil -- many of those who know the real truth have not written a review.

My heart always sinks when I see a new Ecuador couple here, but, with help from those of us who have been burned, you can avoid much of what lies ahead. It's a blessing that you have not yet filed the I-129F petition and can react appropriately now.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
No, no, NO! Everyone here is WRONG when it comes to Ecuador filers, and should be mortified at providing information that absolutely does not apply! The prolific "drive-by" poster who regularly parachutes into crucial questions with canned, glib answers is especially at fault, although he will almost never admit it. Beware, now and hereafter.

DanKorn, you will be dealing with the #######, hellhole Guayaquil consulate -- among the worst on Earth. You need to front-load your I-129F petition with all of the "evidence of relationship" that you can muster... and more besides. Specifically, regarding your statement of how you met, include an exhaustively complete statement -- as many pages as it takes! -- to cover every detail of every meeting, contact, and communication that you have ever had with your fiancee, from Day One. (Exclude only any "sending of money" details.) Include EVERY photo that you have ever taken of the two of you together. Include a healthy number of e-mails or chat logs between the two of you in which you discuss substantive "relationship" issues (black out embarrassing or sensitive portions with a thick marker). Writing a NOVEL, with supporting information, will not be too much.

Before you file, I even recommend that you procure one-page letters (they need not be notarized) from your people and hers that attest to the validity of your relationship. The letters should contain the correct information about when you first began contact, how & when you first met, and the correct spelling of her name; otherwise, the letters should be in each writer's own words. Signed hard copies are best (they need not be notarized, although this would be a nice touch if not an inconvenience to the writer); scans of signed hard copies will suffice; e-mails will do if neither of the foregoing can be procured. Each letter should state who the writer is and include his/her FULL contact information. Collect more from your people (5, 8, 10) than from hers (3 will do, and in more formal language). The letters should be addressed "U.S. Consulate - Guayaquil, Ecuador."

These MUST be included in the I-129F filing. Why? The Guayaquil consulate is known for refusing to accept evidence that is brought to interviews. USCIS does not care about the inclusion of this information, but the consulate cannot deny its existence if it knows that USCIS has seen it.

Go to the Latin American forum here and read the thread "US Consulate in Guayaquil, Ecuador" (I just bumped it to the top) for only a hint of the horrors that could await you. It goes without saying that if you want a prayer of procuring a visa, YOU WILL ATTEND HER INTERVIEW. Also, do not believe the ordinary-sounding or positive "embassy reviews" about Guayaquil -- many of those who know the real truth have not written a review.

My heart always sinks when I see a new Ecuador couple here, but, with help from those of us who have been burned, you can avoid much of what lies ahead. It's a blessing that you have not yet filed the I-129F petition and can react appropriately now.

I will defer to Tbone regarding this oppressive consulate. More will not hurt.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline
I will defer to Tbone regarding this oppressive consulate. More will not hurt.
It should be borne in mind that Guayaquil is not the only consulate for which "more" at the I-129F stage could be helpful.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
i'll take all of the suggestions
Si, man!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.