w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Words You Won't Hear in Canadian Health Care

154 posts in this topic

I say combine the best of both into one system that actually works. U.S. and Canadian health each have their own pros and cons. So let's learn from those mistakes and make a better one. It'll never happen, of course, but it's a nice thought.

I really do think that the two systems are mutually exclusive. The best part of the American health care is the advancement in techniques, which is driven by a profit system. Lets be real, companies don't fund massive grants on cancer or AIDS research for the betterment of society. They know the massive payouts that they will get if they are the first to find a cure. American health system is only good if you have really good insurance. For everyone else, it's a sliding scale that varies according to your level of coverage. The Canadian system is on the whole better for more people. People who would have no coverage, or would be severely undercovered benefit greatly from this system. But as you said, it's run by the government, and with any program run by a beurocracy, there is an inherent inefficiency.

You do realize that no other developed country has more red tape and bureaucracy in their health care system than the US, yes? No other nation spends as much on overhead and administration in health care as the US. Reality doesn't exactly support that closing statement of yours. Not in the health care field.

The basic idea is that the government manages to screw up anything it gets its hands on. Unfortunately, that's true (at least for the most part).

"The government" under Richard Nixon and in league with private insurance interests, created the cluster ***** of a system we have now. Enough said! :whistle:

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I say combine the best of both into one system that actually works. U.S. and Canadian health each have their own pros and cons. So let's learn from those mistakes and make a better one. It'll never happen, of course, but it's a nice thought.

I really do think that the two systems are mutually exclusive. The best part of the American health care is the advancement in techniques, which is driven by a profit system. Lets be real, companies don't fund massive grants on cancer or AIDS research for the betterment of society. They know the massive payouts that they will get if they are the first to find a cure. American health system is only good if you have really good insurance. For everyone else, it's a sliding scale that varies according to your level of coverage. The Canadian system is on the whole better for more people. People who would have no coverage, or would be severely undercovered benefit greatly from this system. But as you said, it's run by the government, and with any program run by a beurocracy, there is an inherent inefficiency.

You do realize that no other developed country has more red tape and bureaucracy in their health care system than the US, yes? No other nation spends as much on overhead and administration in health care as the US. Reality doesn't exactly support that closing statement of yours. Not in the health care field.

The basic idea is that the government manages to screw up anything it gets its hands on. Unfortunately, that's true (at least for the most part).

When underfunding things or not properly designing them... yes.

That's what I'm talking about. As I've said before, the Canadian health care system is great in theory and in some ways, it still does well in practice. The problem is that it's underfunded and seems to be one area politicians love extracting money from to put elsewhere.

"The government" under Richard Nixon and in league with private insurance interests, created the cluster ***** of a system we have now. Enough said! :whistle:

But that's still government doing what it does best: screw things up. ;)

But that's still government doing what it does best: screw things up. ;)

Well time for government to screw it up again, because this house of cards is collapsing.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Timeline
Hell, if we could lower the malpractice lawsuits as well, maybe doctors would order fewer unnecessary tests just to cover their a$$ later on. Last I heard, Texas is considered to have relatively inexpensive malpractice insurance somewhere around $80,000 per year. In some places it can rise as high as $200,000 per year. It also depends on the specialty, too. Because of the high rate of frivolous malpractice lawsuits, fewer and fewer people are becoming OB/GYNs nowadays and that can't be good for women (pregnant or not).

The CBO disagrees with you on the actual benefit of limiting malpractice lawsuits:

Malpractice costs amounted to an estimated $24 billion in 2002, but that figure represents less than 2 percent of overall health care spending.(12) Thus, even a reduction of 25 percent to 30 percent in malpractice costs would lower health care costs by only about 0.4 percent to 0.5 percent, and the likely effect on health insurance premiums would be comparably small.(13)

It has also been shown time and again that action taken in various states to lower a physician's potential exposure to malpractice suits has resulted in fewer cases and lower awards and yet, the malpractice insurance rates in those states still went up. If anything needs reform, it's - again - the insurance business which makes fat profits in this insurance sector.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hell, if we could lower the malpractice lawsuits as well, maybe doctors would order fewer unnecessary tests just to cover their a$$ later on.

I think the above is one of the things that needs fixed in the US system. If we can fix the lawyers and the insurance companies, life is good. I am one of the fortunate ones who has fantastic healthcare coverage and could never be wiped out by any catastrophic events mentioned previously. My out of pocket maximum is only $3000.

I will say that seeing my husband's care in Ontario was appalling and if that's what "free" healthcare is, I want no part of it. He was having gall bladder attacks, but it took 3 weeks to see his doctor, 4 weeks to get an ultrasound and 2 weeks to get the results. So for someone to diagnose him, it took 9 weeks. He then waited another 3 weeks to see a surgeon and 10 weeks to have it removed. From beginning to end, we're talking 31 weeks - over 7 months. I understand if he were dying, they would have done surgery, but anyone who's had gall bladder attacks can imagine how difficult it is to live your live for 7 months with them. I had them for 3 weeks, was diagnosed and had surgery in 9 days.

Another kicker is that his doctor retired 4 months ago and currently he has no doctor. He has been on a waiting list this entire time. When things come up, he has to go to a clinic or the emergency room.

I haven't heard specifics from the government regarding their "plan", but being someone with good coverage, it scares me. Government involvement is rarely a good thing, particularly in medical - look at Medicare. Also, I truly hope that Americans realize this will not be free because those that I talk with about it are shocked when I tell them what kind of taxes my husband pays in Canada. I will never quit being amazed (until he moves lol) at the taxes he pays. Incredible.

The other thing I truly hope is that no one will b1tch about paying for their neighbor who weighs 400 pounds and smokes like a chimney. I have to admit that I do not like the idea of paying for someone else's healthcare coverage when I have no input on their health. Why should I pay for someone who does nothing to take care of themselves? Hopefully you catch my drift there and don't think I'm just a selfish American. :blush:

Timeline
Hell, if we could lower the malpractice lawsuits as well, maybe doctors would order fewer unnecessary tests just to cover their a$$ later on.

I think the above is one of the things that needs fixed in the US system. If we can fix the lawyers and the insurance companies, life is good. I am one of the fortunate ones who has fantastic healthcare coverage and could never be wiped out by any catastrophic events mentioned previously. My out of pocket maximum is only $3000.

I will say that seeing my husband's care in Ontario was appalling and if that's what "free" healthcare is, I want no part of it. He was having gall bladder attacks, but it took 3 weeks to see his doctor, 4 weeks to get an ultrasound and 2 weeks to get the results. So for someone to diagnose him, it took 9 weeks. He then waited another 3 weeks to see a surgeon and 10 weeks to have it removed. From beginning to end, we're talking 31 weeks - over 7 months. I understand if he were dying, they would have done surgery, but anyone who's had gall bladder attacks can imagine how difficult it is to live your live for 7 months with them. I had them for 3 weeks, was diagnosed and had surgery in 9 days.

Another kicker is that his doctor retired 4 months ago and currently he has no doctor. He has been on a waiting list this entire time. When things come up, he has to go to a clinic or the emergency room.

I haven't heard specifics from the government regarding their "plan", but being someone with good coverage, it scares me. Government involvement is rarely a good thing, particularly in medical - look at Medicare. Also, I truly hope that Americans realize this will not be free because those that I talk with about it are shocked when I tell them what kind of taxes my husband pays in Canada. I will never quit being amazed (until he moves lol) at the taxes he pays. Incredible.

The other thing I truly hope is that no one will b1tch about paying for their neighbor who weighs 400 pounds and smokes like a chimney. I have to admit that I do not like the idea of paying for someone else's healthcare coverage when I have no input on their health. Why should I pay for someone who does nothing to take care of themselves? Hopefully you catch my drift there and don't think I'm just a selfish American. :blush:

:thumbs:

Timeline
What is the usual starting salary for GP physicians in Canada?

No clue. It'd probably depend on location for a GP. You can't expect to make as much in Comox as you would in Vancouver or Victoria.

$5.50/hr and a bag of lint. jug of maple syrup.

Fixed. :D

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Hell, if we could lower the malpractice lawsuits as well, maybe doctors would order fewer unnecessary tests just to cover their a$$ later on. Last I heard, Texas is considered to have relatively inexpensive malpractice insurance somewhere around $80,000 per year. In some places it can rise as high as $200,000 per year. It also depends on the specialty, too. Because of the high rate of frivolous malpractice lawsuits, fewer and fewer people are becoming OB/GYNs nowadays and that can't be good for women (pregnant or not).

The CBO disagrees with you on the actual benefit of limiting malpractice lawsuits:

Malpractice costs amounted to an estimated $24 billion in 2002, but that figure represents less than 2 percent of overall health care spending.(12) Thus, even a reduction of 25 percent to 30 percent in malpractice costs would lower health care costs by only about 0.4 percent to 0.5 percent, and the likely effect on health insurance premiums would be comparably small.(13)

It has also been shown time and again that action taken in various states to lower a physician's potential exposure to malpractice suits has resulted in fewer cases and lower awards and yet, the malpractice insurance rates in those states still went up. If anything needs reform, it's - again - the insurance business which makes fat profits in this insurance sector.

It did seem rather a dubious assertion that the state of the national healthcare system rests solely on the shoulders of cynical lawyers and dodgy lawsuits.

That said of course, when you have insurers meddling in your care behind the scenes - its not really surprising that people would go to the courts.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

$5.50/hr and a bag of lint.

SNAP

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

We pay monthly premiums in BC, so that ones wrong. :P

You're from BC. Cool, me too. I don't pay for my medical, it's paid for me. I don't make enough money to pay.... :jest:

That's something else about the system. If your annual income is less than so much, you'll get 100% premium, and you're covered.

I like Kathryn, will miss this.

In 2004, my late husband was in an accident. He was taken to the hospital in an ambulance, stayed there over night, had a cat scan to show he had a broken neck, airlifted to Victoria, stayed in the hospital for two weeks, had surgery, and was driven back home, ( 3 hour drive). Our house needed to be outfitted with medical equipment to make his life easier as he healed.

We didn't have to pay for any of the above.

Hope he healed 100%.

I am curious about one thing... since opponents to these kinds of insurance/medical systems quite often cite how people end up waiting for months for therapies... wouldn't that mean that your hubby would've had to wait also to receive parts of that treatment? According to their logic I mean.

Sadly he died two months after the accident. Not from his injuries, but from some STUPID choices he made. He was healing rather nicely though. We didn't have to wait for the medical equipment, it was installed in the house the day before he came home. And his surgeon wanted X-rays sent to him at the 4 week mark, to see how he was healing. We did do that, but he died two days later. We would have gotten notice as to when physio would start, and I assume it would have been sometime in the middle of July or early August for that. ( He died July 4th, accident was May 3rd. ) However, because of his death, I really don't know how long we would have waited till we got the green light it was ok for him to work again.

K-1 timeline

Sent I-129f Dec. 29, 2008

Received NOA Jan. 10, 2009

NOA2 email sent April 16, 2009, APPROVED

Interview in Vancouver, June 23, 2009 APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!

Wedding, September 19, 2009, South Carolina!!

AOS

Mailed package to Chicago, Oct. 22, 2009

NOA hard copies Nov. 3, 2009

RFE Nov. 17, 2009

Finally mailed back RFE December 15, 2009

Case transferred to CSC January 7th 2010girlfreuya.gif

EAD and AP Approved, cards sent January 8th, 2010!!

AOS approved February 9th 2010 smiley-happy093.gif

Welcome letter and GC received February 16th, 2010

Done with USCIS until 11/08/11

ROC

Sent 1-751 to Vermont Service Center November 18th 2011

NOA November 23, 2011

Biometrics December 23, 2011

RFE Dated Aug. 17; received Aug. 20th

mailed off RFE end of Oct.

Received Email stating card has been ordered Dec. 4

Received Email stating card should arrive within seven days; Dec 6

GLITTER.jpg

Filed: Timeline
I am one of the fortunate ones who has fantastic healthcare coverage and could never be wiped out by any catastrophic events mentioned previously. My out of pocket maximum is only $3000.

That is until a catastrophic event costs you your job and - with it - your coverage. Or if your employer decides to trim the cost of health insurance benefits and takes the plan you currently enjoy off the grid and replaces it with less fantastic options. This is what many people don't consider when "feeling lucky" about the coverage they still enjoy.

Timeline

It did seem rather a dubious assertion that the state of the national healthcare system rests solely on the shoulders of cynical lawyers and dodgy lawsuits.

That said of course, when you have insurers meddling in your care behind the scenes - its not really surprising that people would go to the courts.

I never said it rests entirely on malpractice. It does, however, severely hurt the medical profession.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

No clue. It'd probably depend on location for a GP. You can't expect to make as much in Comox as you would in Vancouver or Victoria.

$5.50/hr and a bag of lint. jug of maple syrup.

Fixed. :D

I got a can o'maple on request for next week from a friend.

I wonder if the system could handle creative recruiting of doctors then.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.