w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Words You Won't Hear in Canadian Health Care

154 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
We pay monthly premiums in BC, so that ones wrong. :P

You're from BC. Cool, me too. I don't pay for my medical, it's paid for me. I don't make enough money to pay.... :jest:

That's something else about the system. If your annual income is less than so much, you'll get 100% premium, and you're covered.

Heh. My husband I make combined $40k right now in Vancouver. We do not get any assistance with our medical premium. We pay $96/month. 40k in Vancouver is basically low-income given how expensive it is to live in this city.

I am curious about one thing... since opponents to these kinds of insurance/medical systems quite often cite how people end up waiting for months for therapies... wouldn't that mean that your hubby would've had to wait also to receive parts of that treatment? According to their logic I mean.

Wait times are for non-emergency procedures (not sure how chemo fits into non-emergency, but it is one of the procedures that does have a wait list). Had a friend who had a very bad form of cancer who was placed on a 3 month wait list in Ontario for chemo. He elected to go to the US to get treated immediately.

What about with supplemental insurance? Any chance of getting treatment faster? (And cheaper than in the US?) Really curious about that.

Perhaps what Canada can do is have a tiered single payer system that keeps costs down and still offers timely treatment options.

I'm not sure. AFAIK, at least here in BC, supplemental insurance only covers the things that provincial insurance doesn't - ie: chiropractor, physio, prescriptions, etc.

I see... so maybe there is an option to cover additional expenses... maybe. Then again is going to the US for more immediate treatment eligible for remuneration? It would be really cool if there existed a system for foreign doctors to enjoy credentials recognized in Canada whereas the Canadian system would make the patients eligible for some remuneration as a bypass to the more limited wait system.

Again I am curious as to how life-threatening and life-saving treatments are classified. Canadians are smart I think to understand that chemo is critical if done in time, so I smell a red herring when it comes to the opponents of these systems and how medicine is categorized as a talking point against itself.

I don't believe you are eligible for costs incurred by your own decision by the health authority (If I'm wrong, someone correct me). The only way to get any $ back would be to claim the expenses on your taxes.

Foreign expenses?? Wow... Can someone verify this? Right now the IRS does not do this here in the US.

Wishing you ten-fold that which you wish upon all others.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline

What can I say? I would rather have the Canadian health care system than whatever passes for health care in the US. No questions asked. And like treble said, there are insurance companies of course. The college I taught at gave us Blue Cross for prescription drugs no cap, no generic BS, plus vision and dental for about 38 a month.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I say combine the best of both into one system that actually works. U.S. and Canadian health each have their own pros and cons. So let's learn from those mistakes and make a better one. It'll never happen, of course, but it's a nice thought.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Foreign expenses?? Wow... Can someone verify this? Right now the IRS does not do this here in the US.

I can check at work today (work at accounting firm).

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline

And many health concerns here in the US, due to the ridiculous costs involved to patients (including the probability of insurance denials) go untreated.

I'd rather wait 6 months for a surgery than not do so because I couldn't afford the costs involved.

That's what it will boil down to for *most* people.

I say combine the best of both into one system that actually works. U.S. and Canadian health each have their own pros and cons. So let's learn from those mistakes and make a better one. It'll never happen, of course, but it's a nice thought.

It might happen but the private insurance sector and its die hard supporters stand to lose too much in profit. And that is impeding the way to such a system.

I can check at work today (work at accounting firm).

Thanks. :)

Timeline

I really do think that the two systems are mutually exclusive. The best part of the American health care is the advancement in techniques, which is driven by a profit system. Lets be real, companies don't fund massive grants on cancer or AIDS research for the betterment of society. They know the massive payouts that they will get if they are the first to find a cure. American health system is only good if you have really good insurance. For everyone else, it's a sliding scale that varies according to your level of coverage. The Canadian system is on the whole better for more people. People who would have no coverage, or would be severely undercovered benefit greatly from this system. But as you said, it's run by the government, and with any program run by a beurocracy, there is an inherent inefficiency.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Personally, my ideal system is this:

ALL CHILDREN are covered - period. They don't get to make a choice whether or not they are covered.

Anyone making under a certain amount - automatically covered. Above that amount, it is subsidized until a certain point in which you pay the total premium.

Cap the costs! This is one of the biggest reasons why health care in the US is so ridiculously expensive. Prior to my granpa passing in February, he had an overnight stay in the ER after he fell - it was $56000!

Montreal: BEAT!!! Approved!!!!!

event.png

Timeline
Personally, my ideal system is this:

ALL CHILDREN are covered - period. They don't get to make a choice whether or not they are covered.

Anyone making under a certain amount - automatically covered. Above that amount, it is subsidized until a certain point in which you pay the total premium.

Cap the costs! This is one of the biggest reasons why health care in the US is so ridiculously expensive. Prior to my granpa passing in February, he had an overnight stay in the ER after he fell - it was $56000!

It's true, unfortunately.

HMOs are bad for patients and physicians. The latter has to argue back and forth to simply receive payment from a patient's HMO. It's not uncommon for U.S. doctors to hire an employee just to deal with insurance. That's an extra cost right there. It's rare if a doctor ever makes what he charges.

Hell, if we could lower the malpractice lawsuits as well, maybe doctors would order fewer unnecessary tests just to cover their a$$ later on. Last I heard, Texas is considered to have relatively inexpensive malpractice insurance somewhere around $80,000 per year. In some places it can rise as high as $200,000 per year. It also depends on the specialty, too. Because of the high rate of frivolous malpractice lawsuits, fewer and fewer people are becoming OB/GYNs nowadays and that can't be good for women (pregnant or not).

Filed: Timeline

I really do think that the two systems are mutually exclusive. The best part of the American health care is the advancement in techniques, which is driven by a profit system. Lets be real, companies don't fund massive grants on cancer or AIDS research for the betterment of society. They know the massive payouts that they will get if they are the first to find a cure. American health system is only good if you have really good insurance. For everyone else, it's a sliding scale that varies according to your level of coverage. The Canadian system is on the whole better for more people. People who would have no coverage, or would be severely undercovered benefit greatly from this system. But as you said, it's run by the government, and with any program run by a beurocracy, there is an inherent inefficiency.

You do realize that no other developed country has more red tape and bureaucracy in their health care system than the US, yes? No other nation spends as much on overhead and administration in health care as the US. Reality doesn't exactly support that closing statement of yours. Not in the health care field.

Big Sigh - that is definitely something I miss about Canada - health care! The US system sucks - long waits, expensive copays, lots of errors, lots of phone calls needed to insurance companies and doctors sorting out their errors, insurance companies trying to dictate what type of medicine I am allowed to have, deferring or turning down treatment because the deductibles haven't been met and it's expensive, trying to find a doctor who is 'in network', in Canada emergencies are treated like emergencies and I don't have to prove I can pay for the emergency care first, then wait and wait and wait . . . I can't believe that so many Americans think the system here is good! They really have no idea.

I actually am one of the people who think the system is pretty darn good!

True I have never had cancer or some extensive med. condition but, I walk in see the doctor and leave (after paying 10 bucks).

It's always been this way. I nor my kids have ever had a hassle bigger than calling to see why a bill was not sent to the insurance company.

I don't understand this big hassle you are experiencing and I have had a number of dif plans over the years.

I know getting Healthcare "IS" a problem for a minority of middle class folks (the poor have it as do the rich)

we need to work on that..not set this wrecking ball in place

Tell you what seems alarming as hell to me: the idea that soon everyone will BE REQUIRED to have coverage.

IF you don't or can't (or choose not to) pay your part, the force of the Government will extract it from you one way or another...... think the IRS is bad now? wait till you don't get that sweet hand-out at the end of the year, so many have become used to. (Earned income credit IS a handout)

The other part that is the most worrisome to me is this "we are all in it together" mood that will take over will burst open the door to even more "Nanny state" regulations. Weight reductions, smoking, risky hobbies, excessive alcohol consumption... the list goes on.

And logically it's true why should the overweight person pay the same amount as the fit person?

THIS IS THE DANGER OF LETTING GOVERNMENT HAVE A MONOPOLY which is exactly where it will head.

Their is a reason they will not try a pilot program in say one city or area, to see how it works.

There is a truism The more the Government breaks something, the more they need to fix it.

Danno, Danno, Danno... Only a serious moron, or ** talking head, feel's the US healthcare system is 'pretty damn good' and your statement indicates that either your are parroting your talking head masters at FOX or you yourself are making a fortune as a private insurance middle man.

Our doctors are good, when you are in the group that can afford them, but increasing numbers of Americans are not in that group. We are not number one in health care, we rank around 36th or 37th down in the pack with countries like Botswana and Lithuania. [The rank is correct, and we are bracketed by Third World countries.] Our health care system is a mess, getting worse in terms of cost and services provided, and the fact that so many believe everything is great is one of the greatest political jokes ever played out on a people.

Edited by ready4ONE

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Timeline

You do realize that no other developed country has more red tape and bureaucracy in their health care system than the US, yes? No other nation spends as much on overhead and administration in health care as the US. Reality doesn't exactly support that closing statement of yours. Not in the health care field.

The basic idea is that the government manages to screw up anything it gets its hands on. Unfortunately, that's true (at least for the most part).

Timeline

The basic idea is that the government manages to screw up anything it gets its hands on. Unfortunately, that's true (at least for the most part).

When underfunding things or not properly designing them... yes.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Big Sigh - that is definitely something I miss about Canada - health care! The US system sucks - long waits, expensive copays, lots of errors, lots of phone calls needed to insurance companies and doctors sorting out their errors, insurance companies trying to dictate what type of medicine I am allowed to have, deferring or turning down treatment because the deductibles haven't been met and it's expensive, trying to find a doctor who is 'in network', in Canada emergencies are treated like emergencies and I don't have to prove I can pay for the emergency care first, then wait and wait and wait . . . I can't believe that so many Americans think the system here is good! They really have no idea.

I actually am one of the people who think the system is pretty darn good!

True I have never had cancer or some extensive med. condition but, I walk in see the doctor and leave (after paying 10 bucks).

It's always been this way. I nor my kids have ever had a hassle bigger than calling to see why a bill was not sent to the insurance company.

I don't understand this big hassle you are experiencing and I have had a number of dif plans over the years.

I know getting Healthcare "IS" a problem for a minority of middle class folks (the poor have it as do the rich)

we need to work on that..not set this wrecking ball in place

Tell you what seems alarming as hell to me: the idea that soon everyone will BE REQUIRED to have coverage.

IF you don't or can't (or choose not to) pay your part, the force of the Government will extract it from you one way or another...... think the IRS is bad now? wait till you don't get that sweet hand-out at the end of the year, so many have become used to. (Earned income credit IS a handout)

The other part that is the most worrisome to me is this "we are all in it together" mood that will take over will burst open the door to even more "Nanny state" regulations. Weight reductions, smoking, risky hobbies, excessive alcohol consumption... the list goes on.

And logically it's true why should the overweight person pay the same amount as the fit person?

THIS IS THE DANGER OF LETTING GOVERNMENT HAVE A MONOPOLY which is exactly where it will head.

Their is a reason they will not try a pilot program in say one city or area, to see how it works.

There is a truism The more the Government breaks something, the more they need to fix it.

Danno, Danno, Danno... Only a serious moron feel's the US healthcare system is 'pretty damn good' and your statement indicates that either your are parroting your talking head masters at FOX or your yourself are making a fortune as a private insurance middle man.

Our doctors are good, when you are in the group that can afford them, but increasing numbers of Americans are not in that group. We are not number one in health care, we rank around 36th or 37th down in the pack with countries like Botswana and Lithuania. [The rank is correct, and we are bracketed by Third World countries.] Our health care system is a mess, getting worse in terms of cost and services provided, and the fact that so many believe everything is great is one of the greatest political jokes ever played out on a people.

Agreed - I think its also rather silly for him to say "I think the system is pretty darned good", yet at the same time "I have never had cancer or some extensive med. condition". What is the basis for acclaiming a system that he has minimal experience of besides the odd trip to the GPs office?

I wonder if his opinion will change if he does develop a serious or chronic condition (as we're all likely to do at some point in time).

Edited by Private Pike