ForeverAmen

In you can't afford it ... then why?!?!?

50 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
i dont know about the couple that approached u, but perviz and i needed help from my family because it will take him about 11 month to get thru the usa testing so that he can continue to work as a doctor and im still in college. i know that most people can do it on their own but i dont see anything wrong with asking family for help with our situation]

sara

The income limits are very very low. I can't imagine the kind of person who can't even make that much thinking they should get married and take responsibility for a foreign spouse. Co-sponsors shouldn't even be allowed and those income limits should be multiples higher.

a college student who recently graduated with 2 BA's who's about to make big bucks.

"about to" ? :)

How about we build that castle first.

:rofl:

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Ireland

I-129F Sent : 2009-03-10

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-03-13

Check Cashed: 2009-03-16

Touched : 2009-06-25

Touched : 2009-07-22

RFE: 2009-06-26

RFE Reply(s) : 2009-07-20

I-129F NOA2 : 2009-07-29

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2009-08-21

Packet 3 Sent : 2009-09-11

Packet 4 Received :2009-09-18 - got no letter. Just a phone call.

Interview Date : 2009-09-22

Visa Received : 2009-09-25

US Entry :

Marriage :

Comments :

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
I think there are definite situations where couples, especially younger couples still finishing school, might find themselves in need of a co-sponsor. The knowledge of 3 months or so without 2 incomes can be daunting. Who are we to judge?

Because that's what many on VJ do...they judge!

I almost needed a co-sponsor too...and I had planned and saved for the expense. My mother, who suffered from Stage 4 Cancer died...and someone had to help pay for her funeral. Insurance didn't cover it all...and she really did try to be prepared. I'm grateful I found a way to meet the income requirements.

Someone asked how much "fun" can you have on $18K-$22K. Life - real life - isn't about how much fun you can have. For me it was more about having my beloved with me than how much fun we could have on my income.

I dunno...just sayin'.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
When you love someone and you see your financial situation standing in the way of being together, you are often willing to pursue any avenue you can to make it happen. Love isn't restricted only to those who meet the income requirements. There may be valid reasons why they can't satisfy the affidavit of support right now. Sometimes people need help, and if they have no one in their immediate circle of friends and family who can help they will reach out to others. It is kind of sad that they are feeling they must go this avenue. I wish them luck. Whether or not you are willing to assist them or not is totally your call.

This is exactly right. I had been separated for 3 years out of a really horrible marriage when I met my husband. He had some money and a decent job in Canada, but of course, that couldn't be counted. His aunt was our co-sponsor and we actually lived with her until he could work legally in this country. I was working for a government student loan agency but still did not meet the income requirements on my own. He worked 2 jobs, one of which provided benefits for us including health insurance. We basically started over with nothing in our mid thirties due to our circumstances. We now own our own home, are heavily insured, and are "living the dream" as they say. I feel that our success and the fact that we have done so much together has made us stronger. We were very fortunate to have had help and I can't even imagine what my life would have been like if I hadn't had him in it. Would someone truly say that we don't deserve to be together because I was poor when we met? I find that ridiculous.

There has to be a threshold of some kind. What else would you suggest it be?

It always confuses me when members talk about making this system 'harder'. Don't we all go through enough BS with the Service to bring someone over?

I can understand some of the 'practical concerns' some of you raise. But the cost of living varies widely in this country. Some folks with low incomes manage OK without ever taking assistance of any kind from the government. I kind of think that some of you simply cannot fathom living on what other people live on. I guess it's OK for you to wonder about it, but it's not OK for you to assume that lower-wage earners can't possibly live on what they earn. They just live differently than you do.

But they won't be able to afford health care. Isn't this a concern?

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

lol...i worked the ER for 8 yeards,,,many americans lack health insurance....that is why they go to ther Er....so welcome to American....and join the uninsured masses

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835