tennisal

Why did I get an I-797E notice, and what should I do?

9 posts in this topic

I had received an I-797E notice of action, asking for additional information, but it was not specific in what it was asking for. My immigration attorney told me that it was most likely just the California service center buying more time, as they are running behind with approving the applications, or that since they have had my application to remove conditions since last October, they maybe wanting information to just validate that the marriage is still together. Like everyone else on these forum's, I'm very worried, and am looking for anyone's feedback if you've had similar experiences, or what I might be able to expect, and how soon now that I would get a result??

I already sent back the information showing updated property information, as we own a home together, property tax info, automobile insurance info, homeowners info, letters from both of our familes (I wasn't sure if I included those in the initial application), several copies of credit card bills in our seperate names to show that we both reside at the same residence. Aside from those documents, we don't have alot of other joint accounts. We have a couple of credit cards together, but I did not send those, as they are in delinquncy as we have bee having recent financial difficulty.

If anyone else out there can give me an idea of what to expect, it might help calm some of the nerves I am experiencing. We alread had our face to face interview locally coming up on 3 years ago now, and that went fine.

Your feedback is much appreciated

Tennisal :)

What exactly does the letter say? Normally they do not send a request for evidence w/out telling you exactly what is needed.

I've never heard of the service centers sending out letters to buy themselves more time. They're in a position to take as long as they want, I'm afraid!

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Don't listen to that lawyer - it is considered an RFE and it is request for more evidence. It isn't them 'trying to buy more time. California is the fastest of the two service centers and has never been 'behind'. The RFE basically means that you didn't send in enough information originally for them to make a decision. Did you send in documents that cover the full time of your marriage? The list of what you sent back in response to the RFE sounds good. If they find that it is sufficient you will get your 10 year green card. If it isn't sufficient then you may get a request for another interview. I doubt that they will deny it. If you get an interview do bring in information about the delinquent credit cards as it shows you have a mutual debt and that is compelling evidence of a honest relationship (they aren't going to judge you for your financial situation - they just want to ensure that you are in an honest marriage).

Good luck. I hope you receive a positive response soon.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

What did you send initially??

Why is it that the only one who can stop the crying is the one who started it in the first place?

More Complete Story here
My Saga includes 2 step sons
USC Married 4/2007 Colombian on overstay since 2001 of B1/B2 visa
Applied 5/2007 Approved GC in Hand 10/2007
I-751 mailed 6/30/09 aapproved 11/7/09 The BOYS I-751 Mailed 12/29/09 3/23/10 Email approval for 17 CR 3/27/10
4/14/10 Email approval for 13 yr Old CR 4/23/10

Oldest son now 21 I-130 filed by LPR dad ( as per NVC CSPA is applying here )
I-130 approved 2/24
Priority date 12/6/2007
4/6/2010 letter from NVC arrives to son dated 3/4/2010
5/4/10 received AOS and DS3032 via email
9/22/10 Interview BOG Passed
10/3/10 POE JFK all went well
11/11/10 GC Received smile.png

Filed: Timeline

If is 3 years since you became a resident you SHOULD apply for citizenship.This will push your I-751 application and you will become an US citizen.

But first send all the evidence you have for I-751 again.I do recommend that you send even your delinquency cards (Jointly ones).

You're going to be able to apply for citizenship 90 days before the 3 anniversary of your green card.

Hope this helps you and I think your lawyer is not doing a good job.

Good luck!!

Edited by jpyaa

Removal of Conditions

06/29/2009 Sent I-751 package to VSC

06/30/2009 I-751 delivered

07/09/2009 Received NOA in the mail (NOA issued on 07/01/2009)

waiting and waiting..

11/04/09 Letter from USCIS - Approval date on 10/30/09

What exactly does the letter say? Normally they do not send a request for evidence w/out telling you exactly what is needed.

I've never heard of the service centers sending out letters to buy themselves more time. They're in a position to take as long as they want, I'm afraid!

It was specific in it's request for eveidence, it was the general letter. My attorney said the same thing, that they normally are wanting some type of specific evidence... I hope that I'm alright...

Don't listen to that lawyer - it is considered an RFE and it is request for more evidence. It isn't them 'trying to buy more time. California is the fastest of the two service centers and has never been 'behind'. The RFE basically means that you didn't send in enough information originally for them to make a decision. Did you send in documents that cover the full time of your marriage? The list of what you sent back in response to the RFE sounds good. If they find that it is sufficient you will get your 10 year green card. If it isn't sufficient then you may get a request for another interview. I doubt that they will deny it. If you get an interview do bring in information about the delinquent credit cards as it shows you have a mutual debt and that is compelling evidence of a honest relationship (they aren't going to judge you for your financial situation - they just want to ensure that you are in an honest marriage).

Good luck. I hope you receive a positive response soon.

Thanks for your response. I didn't want to include the financial information, I guess b/c they may think I would not be a positive addition to the country... I guess I didn't want to put anything negative in there... If you come up with any idea's, let me know. Thanks again for your input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If there were no specific requests in the letter which is kind of strange, send all various proof that your marriage is bonafide. All the best :thumbs: :thumbs:

An interesting reply. I am not aware that applying for citizenship will speed up an I-751 application.

Regardless, I know of several on here, myself included, that are applying for removal of conditions and have no intention of becoming citizens at any point.

Two totally separate issues in my mind.

If is 3 years since you became a resident you SHOULD apply for citizenship.This will push your I-751 application and you will become an US citizen.

But first send all the evidence you have for I-751 again.I do recommend that you send even your delinquency cards (Jointly ones).

You're going to be able to apply for citizenship 90 days before the 3 anniversary of your green card.

Hope this helps you and I think your lawyer is not doing a good job.

Good luck!!

AOS Application

AOS posted 5/30/2007

AOS arrived in Chicago 6/1/2007

NOA1 rcvd 6/11/2007, dated 6/6/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/10/2007

AOS/EAD/AP touched 6/11/2007

Rcvd AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. letter 6/19/2007

I130/EAD/AP touched 6/24/2007

AOS/EAD Biometrics appt. 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/6/2007

AOS/EAD touched 7/9/2007

AP touched 8/14/2007

AP touched 8/15/2007

AP touched 8/16/2007

EAD approved 8/20 EAD Approved

Rcvd AP in post 8/22/2007 AP Approved

AOS Interview 9/26/2007

AOS Approved 9/26/2007

I-751 Petition to Remove Conditions of Residence

I-751 mailed 07/06/09

I-751 arrived VSC 07/07/09

NOA1 dated 07/07/09

Biometrics 08/13/0

I-751 Approval 12/10/09 I-751 Approved

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.