Naz&Omi

Name Change BEFORE Fiance Arrives

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hi All,

Today my fiance was approved for his visa!! So excited!!!

But now that things are moving a lot quicker (he will be arriving here on September 1st), I have a few questions!

In Afghan culture, my fiance's "last name" on all of his visa paperwork isn't really his last name. In Afghanistan "Mohammad Omar" is all considered to be the first name, and my fiance goes by the name "Omar" everywhere. Because of this, we have chosen a last name that means a lot to us (Omid), and here is my question:

If I (the USC) change my name to "First Name, Maiden Name, Omid" before my fiance gets here so that he can just use the marriage certificate to change HIS name, will that mess up our process at all? If not, how do I go about reporting my name change once it goes into affect?

If it's possible for us to do this, you can understand how convenient it would be for me to be able to go ahead and start changing all of my paperwork (with banks, and in the military, and my SS card, etc.) before my fiance gets here. I am the woman by the way :)

Well, thank you for all your help, and I hope everyone else's processes are going swiftly and without too much complication (it is such a relief to finally be at this stage!!)

~Haley & Omar

--------------------

OMAR & HALEY'S K-1 PROCESS

11/11/2008 - FILED I-129F

11/18/2008 - NOA1 RECEIVED

03/11/2009 - RECEIVED NOA2 (approved!)

03/19/2009 - NVC RECEIVED CASE FILE

04/01/2009 - NVC SENT CASE TO ISL EMBASSY

04/06/2009 - ISL EMBASSY RECEIVED CASE FILE

********* - NEVER RECEIVED PACKET 3.5 FROM ISL (called / emailed, no luck)

********* - CREATED OUR OWN PACKET WITH ITEMS THE ISL EMBASSY TOLD US IN EMAIL THAT THEY NEEDED

06/10/2009 - SUBMITTED PACKET 3.5 TO AMEX IN ISLAMABAD

06/16/2009 - RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER THROUGH AMEX IN ISLAMABAD

07/20/2009 - INTERVIEW (approved!) AP

10/12/2009 - 3 MONTHS OF AP COMPLETE...

10/21/2009 - CALL TO SUBMIT PASSPORT!

11/04/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD RECIEVED PASSPORT IN MAIL (NOW UNDER FINAL REVIEW)

11/16/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD MAILED PASSPORT W/ VISA TO U.S. EMBASSY KABUL

11/22/2009 - CALL TO PICK UP PASSPORT!

12/01/2009 - FLYING TO U.S.!!!!!!!!!

12/02/2009 - HE'S HERE!!! <3 <3 <3

12/07/2009 - MARRIED IN COLORADO! <3

12/20/2010 - APPLIED FOR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD

04/09/2010 - RECEIVED WORK AUTHORIZATION CARD IN THE MAIL!

06/20/2010 - DID SECOND INTERVIEW

08/10/2010 - RECEIVED 2-YEAR GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Timeline
All previous names to be reported on the "Other names used" section of any form you will be submitting

Thank you, but do I need to inform anyone else of my name change?

--------------------

********* - CREATED OUR OWN PACKET WITH ITEMS THE ISL EMBASSY TOLD US IN EMAIL THAT THEY NEEDED

11/04/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD RECIEVED PASSPORT IN MAIL (NOW UNDER FINAL REVIEW)

11/16/2009 - U.S. EMBASSY, ISLAMABAD MAILED PASSPORT W/ VISA TO U.S. EMBASSY KABUL

--------------------

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Hi All,

But now that things are moving a lot quicker (he will be arriving here on September 1st), I have a few questions!

In Afghan culture, my fiance's "last name" on all of his visa paperwork isn't really his last name. In Afghanistan "Mohammad Omar" is all considered to be the first name, and my fiance goes by the name "Omar" everywhere. Because of this, we have chosen a last name that means a lot to us (Omid), and here is my question:

If I (the USC) change my name to "First Name, Maiden Name, Omid" before my fiance gets here so that he can just use the marriage certificate to change HIS name, will that mess up our process at all? If not, how do I go about reporting my name change once it goes into affect?

If it's possible for us to do this, you can understand how convenient it would be for me to be able to go ahead and start changing all of my paperwork (with banks, and in the military, and my SS card, etc.) before my fiance gets here. I am the woman by the way :)

Well, thank you for all your help, and I hope everyone else's processes are going swiftly and without too much complication (it is such a relief to finally be at this stage!!)

~Haley & Omar

The California Name Equality Act of 2007 permits you AND your husband to change your names at the time of marriage. You can change middle and last name. The law allows either party to choose to take the last name of the other party, a hyphenated combination of the two last names, OR a PORTION of one or both names. Is it possible to form the name "Omid" from a portion of both of your last names? If so, you won't need to change your name first. You can both take the new name at the time you're married.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathm...20(01-09)20.pdf

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline
Hi All,

~Haley & Omar

The California Name Equality Act of 2007 permits you AND your husband to change your names at the time of marriage. You can change middle and last name. The law allows either party to choose to take the last name of the other party, a hyphenated combination of the two last names, OR a PORTION of one or both names. Is it possible to form the name "Omid" from a portion of both of your last names? If so, you won't need to change your name first. You can both take the new name at the time you're married.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathm...20(01-09)20.pdf

Wow, that is very good news! By "portion" do you mean even possibly just letters? My last name is Padgett and his would be Omar... so we could make an alternate spelling :) Omed... Is this what you mean? thanks so much for your help!

--------------------

--------------------

Timeline

Does anyone else know if it will mess up the process for me to go ahead and change my name? Thanks!

--------------------

--------------------

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Does anyone else know if it will mess up the process for me to go ahead and change my name? Thanks!

the USCIS deals with name change issues all the time... I highly doubt it matters when the name change occurs as long as it is properly reflected in all subsequent forms submitted to the USCIS. The fiance(e) MUST marry the petitioner within 90 days of entry. As long as you can properly document the name change "path" and that you are indeed the original petitioner there should be no problems.

YMMV

It is not actually that fast a process to change your name in California. Check this out: http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/other...hangeadult2.htm

However, it should not necessarily delay your visa process. I will note, however, that the choice of name (given the current, unfortunate political climate with respect to people of certain origins) may. You also have to consider the country of origin of the beneficiary of your petition. If you are really concerned about the timing issue, I would consider checking out the regional forum to ask how long the name/background checks took. And note, that they will now be looking for you--original name and you--new name. That you have to take this into consideration is unfair and I don't endorse it, but if you care about timing, you should think about it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.