menina

Driver´s License in CA

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone here is from CA and has experience with obtaining a driver´s license for their foreign finance. Did you wait until you were married or do it immediately? I read up on their website, and it seems like he can continue to drive with his brasilian license until it expires as long as he is a visitor, but I think once we are married, he would no longer be considered a visitor. Also is the test available in Portuguese and will he be required to take the driving test? Thanks!

event.png

Filed: Timeline
Just wondering if anyone here is from CA and has experience with obtaining a driver´s license for their foreign finance. Did you wait until you were married or do it immediately? I read up on their website, and it seems like he can continue to drive with his brasilian license until it expires as long as he is a visitor, but I think once we are married, he would no longer be considered a visitor. Also is the test available in Portuguese and will he be required to take the driving test? Thanks!

Most of your questions can be answered here: http://dmv.ca.gov/

After ten days, your fiance becomes a California Resident, whether you are married or not, and is required to apply for a California driver's license. However, he will need his EAD to get his permanent license. California is a little screwy about that. Check the website for the best information.

Don't let this happen to your fiance: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=196639

Here is what you REALLY need to consider. A) Does he REALLY need to drive right away? Cause his insurance rates will be very high for a few years. Insurance rates are based on years of driving experience in Calif. SO, when you receive your CA drivers license, then that counts as "driving experience", years licensed being what they are really lookng at.

But if he is paying , then let him hit the road ASAP! :dance: :dance:

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Here is what you REALLY need to consider. A) Does he REALLY need to drive right away? Cause his insurance rates will be very high for a few years. Insurance rates are based on years of driving experience in Calif. SO, when you receive your CA drivers license, then that counts as "driving experience", years licensed being what they are really lookng at.

Actually, if you can provide proof of driving history in the foreign country, they will accept it as valid driving history here and you can get a lower rate. That's what we did.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Actually, if you can provide proof of driving history in the foreign country, they will accept it as valid driving history here and you can get a lower rate. That's what we did.

when we went to add me to the car insurance.. I showed them my CA DL and told them I was originally from Canada... she was like ok and if I remember correctly she only asked if I had gotten any tickets or been in any accidents in Canada and I said nope ... then she added me to the insurance with no problems and our car insurance didn't go up either

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Make sure he brings his driver's license from his country.

2) When my wife got here, she came through JFK and had the 90 days temporary EAD stamps on the I94 stamp on the passport, with that we were able to get her driver's permit, then driver's license.

3) We had it for a year, but once the EAD from AOS came we just went back to DMV and they extended it, that was almost 5 years now so i am not sure if the rules have changed.

Gone but not Forgotten!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.