7 posts in this topic

Hi, I am applying for a K3 Visa and then for the I 485. Does anybody have experience with the advance parole? How lond did it take you to get approval?

I still live and work in Switzerland and I dont want to give up my job before I have the greencard since I still hope I might be able to transfer within my company or find a job applying from Switzerland. But it is really difficult telling work how long I will need to take off when I fly to the US to file for the I 485 and get the advance parole approval.

Thanks for help, Anja

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Switzerland

2009-05-27 Married

German Embassy/Bern

2009-06-17 Applied for new Passport/Name Change

2009-07-13 Approval of Name Change

2009-07-17 Called Embassy - Passport ordered only today, couldnt tell me why

2009-08-26 Received new Passport

USCIS

2009-06-17 I-130 and I-129 sent

2009-06-24 I-130 and I -I 129 NOA1 received

2009-07-17 Requested Expedite Service

2009-07-22 I-130 and I I-129 approved

2009-07-27 Hardcopy Received NOA2

NVC

2009-08-06 I-129 received and sent on to Embassy of Barbados (abandoned K3)

2009-08-12 I-130 received and case number assigned

2009-08-14 AOS and IV Bill generated

2009-08-14 AOS and IV Bill paid

2009-08-19 Mailed I-864 Package

2009-08-26 Mailed DS-230 Package

2009-08-27 NVC Received DS 230 Package

2009-09-04 Case Completed at NVC

A better visa path would perhaps be a CR-1 (see Guides above) - this would give you the benefit of not having to Adjust Status which means you would receive your PR/Green Card shortly after arriving in the US (so AP would not be necessary). You would still need to look into maintaining your residency status as there are potentially some issues if you are out of the country for great lengths of time (could lose the PR/Green Card status).

A better visa path would perhaps be a CR-1 (see Guides above) - this would give you the benefit of not having to Adjust Status which means you would receive your PR/Green Card shortly after arriving in the US (so AP would not be necessary). You would still need to look into maintaining your residency status as there are potentially some issues if you are out of the country for great lengths of time (could lose the PR/Green Card status).

Hi Karin, I was considering the CR-1 as well, but our lawyer in the US said it would take substantially longer than the K3 & I 485. I don't understand why the US makes the Greencard Process so difficult if you want to stay in your country and keep your job until I am able to work in the US. I am only in the beginning of the whole process (only have received NOA1 for I 130 and I 129). Maybe I should check if I can still switch to the CR 1, but I think a major difference was also that we have possibility to expedite things with the K3&I485 process through the military.

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Switzerland

2009-05-27 Married

German Embassy/Bern

2009-06-17 Applied for new Passport/Name Change

2009-07-13 Approval of Name Change

2009-07-17 Called Embassy - Passport ordered only today, couldnt tell me why

2009-08-26 Received new Passport

USCIS

2009-06-17 I-130 and I-129 sent

2009-06-24 I-130 and I -I 129 NOA1 received

2009-07-17 Requested Expedite Service

2009-07-22 I-130 and I I-129 approved

2009-07-27 Hardcopy Received NOA2

NVC

2009-08-06 I-129 received and sent on to Embassy of Barbados (abandoned K3)

2009-08-12 I-130 received and case number assigned

2009-08-14 AOS and IV Bill generated

2009-08-14 AOS and IV Bill paid

2009-08-19 Mailed I-864 Package

2009-08-26 Mailed DS-230 Package

2009-08-27 NVC Received DS 230 Package

2009-09-04 Case Completed at NVC

Hi Karin, I was considering the CR-1 as well, but our lawyer in the US said it would take substantially longer than the K3 & I 485. I don't understand why the US makes the Greencard Process so difficult if you want to stay in your country and keep your job until I am able to work in the US. I am only in the beginning of the whole process (only have received NOA1 for I 130 and I 129). Maybe I should check if I can still switch to the CR 1, but I think a major difference was also that we have possibility to expedite things with the K3&I485 process through the military.

I wouldn't say the CR-1 take 'substantially' longer - it's longer but not by that much - besides being substantially less expensive, in the end - you spend less time (usually) waiting for the PR/Green Card on the CR-1 route than you probably would over the entire K-3 route.

And I don't think anyone here would argue about some of the obstacles/brocades people have to jump over to get a PR/Green Card.

Filed: Country: Kazakhstan
Timeline

Hello everybody, please help me!!!

We are going to Niagara falls this August, and would like to go to Canadian side also.

But, i still didn't get a Green Card and i didn't apply for Advance Parole.

My case is pending now (in process), and we have an interview for Green Card a few days before the trip, but

they will send me Green Card after interview later, as i understand.

Who knows, can i go to Canada at all ? What should i do, and will be difficult for me to come back to US ???

Thank you, J.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi, I am applying for a K3 Visa and then for the I 485. Does anybody have experience with the advance parole? How lond did it take you to get approval?

I still live and work in Switzerland and I dont want to give up my job before I have the greencard since I still hope I might be able to transfer within my company or find a job applying from Switzerland. But it is really difficult telling work how long I will need to take off when I fly to the US to file for the I 485 and get the advance parole approval.

Thanks for help, Anja

as a K-3 unless the visa has expired, AP is not required as a K-3 is a multi-entry visa.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hello everybody, please help me!!!

We are going to Niagara falls this August, and would like to go to Canadian side also.

But, i still didn't get a Green Card and i didn't apply for Advance Parole.

My case is pending now (in process), and we have an interview for Green Card a few days before the trip, but

they will send me Green Card after interview later, as i understand.

Who knows, can i go to Canada at all ? What should i do, and will be difficult for me to come back to US ???

Thank you, J.

This is the second thread you have tried to hijak with the same question.... not a good practice to do.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.