JimVaPhuong

Going to Vietnam in August

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I'm going to visit my fiancee from the 5th to the 18th of August. We've decided to have a little holiday before she goes back to work at the end of the month (she's a school teacher), so we're going to spend a couple of days in Hoi An and a couple of days in Da Lat. She wanted to look for some hotels on the internet, but my experience with finding hotels on the internet in Vietnam has not been very good. My favorite hotel in Hue is a 4 star that had a crappy website (recently upgraded the site), but I've also stayed in a couple of supposed 3 stars in HCM that had great web sites, and turned out to be not nearly as nice as they looked on the web.

So, I want to hear from people with experience. What are the good hotels in Hoi An and Da Lat? I don't want to spend $150 a night, but I also don't want to sleep on a cot in a backpacker hotel. Something clean and comfortable. A place that serves a good breakfast with ca phe sua nong would be a big plus! :thumbs:

By the way, she wants something near the beach in Hoi An.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
I'm going to visit my fiancee from the 5th to the 18th of August. We've decided to have a little holiday before she goes back to work at the end of the month (she's a school teacher), so we're going to spend a couple of days in Hoi An and a couple of days in Da Lat. She wanted to look for some hotels on the internet, but my experience with finding hotels on the internet in Vietnam has not been very good. My favorite hotel in Hue is a 4 star that had a crappy website (recently upgraded the site), but I've also stayed in a couple of supposed 3 stars in HCM that had great web sites, and turned out to be not nearly as nice as they looked on the web.

So, I want to hear from people with experience. What are the good hotels in Hoi An and Da Lat? I don't want to spend $150 a night, but I also don't want to sleep on a cot in a backpacker hotel. Something clean and comfortable. A place that serves a good breakfast with ca phe sua nong would be a big plus! :thumbs:

By the way, she wants something near the beach in Hoi An.

My friends sister just got back and spent a few days in Dalat.. I'll ask her.. BTW I am so jealous! I have to wait a few months to go back...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Here is where I stayed: http://www.golfhotel.vnn.vn/?language=2 We stayed at the Golf 3. The rooms were nice. Easy walking to the lake and the city market.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline
My friends sister just got back and spent a few days in Dalat.. I'll ask her.. BTW I am so jealous! I have to wait a few months to go back...

Thanks! Don't be jealous. I've already waited a few months, since April. This is my last chance to get in a visit before she has to go back to work. She won't be able to get any time off again until around December. After this, I'm not planning on going back again until her interview.

Here is where I stayed: http://www.golfhotel.vnn.vn/?language=2 We stayed at the Golf 3. The rooms were nice. Easy walking to the lake and the city market.

That looks great, though they always cheat with the wide angle lens - makes the rooms look cavernous! :P

The prices look very reasonable, too! I'll show this link to Phuong. :thumbs:

Timeline

Thanks! Don't be jealous. I've already waited a few months, since April. This is my last chance to get in a visit before she has to go back to work. She won't be able to get any time off again until around December. After this, I'm not planning on going back again until her interview.

That looks great, though they always cheat with the wide angle lens - makes the rooms look cavernous! :P

I was surprised at the rooms. We had a lot of space. I think that I have some pics. PM your email and I'll send them along.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

WEll, if you're asking about Hoi An and Da Lat hotels, I cant be much help. We only stayed at three hotels when I was back there around June. THe first hotel is in Saigon and it is Tan Son Nhat hotel. It i a big room and very nice bathroom but if you're a tourist from other country you'll be paying double for 1 night. We paid $95 for one night there. The experience will be 6/10. The next hotel was in Ninh Kieu (Can Tho) and it's a great hotel and only $700,000vnd. This hotel is nice view and the food is fantastic with a nice walk on the port of Ninh Kieu. It is a 8/10. The third hotel is in Tien Giang and it's Nha Nghi Tien Giang. This one sucks cuz there were cockroach and the mattres smells like burnt rubber. It's the worst one out of the three hotels we were at. This one is cheap that's why. It's only $400,000vnd or less a night. We can't find any nice hotel that is near the place we want to go so we chose it. this one is like a 4/10.

I know it's not much help because you're not going where we did so. If you're staying in Saigon then Tan Son Nhat hotel might be something you guys should check out. Big hotel, great bathroom, great living room and a exercise machine in your room.

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN. remember to take pictures and receipt of both of you guys name on it.

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I was surprised at the rooms. We had a lot of space. I think that I have some pics. PM your email and I'll send them along.

I stay at the Elios in HCMC and its only 60 / night ... not huge rooms, not small either but everything is clean and new....

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Timeline

Thanks, guys. I'm covered now in HCM. My fiancee's cousin owns a hotel in Tan Phu district. It ain't luxurious, but the price is right! :D

Evenings in Dalat are just amazing Jim! You're gonna love it there I'm sure..I did! Be sure to visit XQ Embroidery and tell the tall gorgeous lady working there (fluent english, you'll know which one..hehe) that I love my artwork and I'll be back for another some day. Maybe she'll remember me and cut you a deal..lol I doubt they get many 6'3" visitors from the US that stay with a family who speaks no English. She was pretty amazed that I'd attempt something like that..LOL You'll love the city center at night but be sure to bring a jacket for Phoung cuz she's going to freeze the whole time you're there.

I sent a message to the family there in Vung Tau to ask what the name of the hotel was where we stayed our first night. It was an amazing and very beautiful place. We only stayed the first night because Thao said it was too expensive - $20 a night for a room..lol The place we stayed the next night was very nice as well - Small but clean and comfortable with a great view too. It was $10 a night so the girls were much happier!! They are both a mile or so from the city center, but like everywhere in VN, it's a short walk to a good place to eat.

The place we stayed the first night is filled with hand carved statues and art work, and a wrap around balcony overlooking the valley. There's also a full kitchen on the bottom floor that you can use and laundry facilities. The center of town is where most of the larger hotels are so one of those would be the better choice if you wanted to be able to walk everywhere. But if you want a little seclusion and quiet, this place is pretty amazing. Be sure to take the jeep ride to the top of this mountain. Here's the view of Dalat from the top. Don't forget to take the boy and girl that want to sell you a wallet with you. They know where the wild berries grow :D If I can answer any questions I'd be glad too! I'll shoot you a pm with the names of the hotels as soon as I hear from Vung Tau. I missed the place as soon as I left so I'm jealous!! Have a great trip Jim!!

100_0239.jpg

Here's another of us getting into the center of town where most of the outdoor markets, hotels and shops are.

100_0155.jpg

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Timeline

Last year we stayed at the Ngoc Lan Hotel (4 star) in Dalat. We had an executive Suite with a view of the lake for about $120 a night if I recall correctly. Their website is quoting $145 right now, but I went thru a HCMC travel agent. Of course they have a lot of cheaper rooms.

Timeline

Bich Dao at 8 Trieu Viet Vuong Street. So quiet and super classy. I think it was around 450,000 vnd a night. Walking distance to Kings 3. Nice stroll to some restaurants and a short cab ride into town. We've been to Dalat 3 times and stayed there twice. Highly reccomend.

effjaye

Timeline

Kevin, it's good to see you hanging out! Thanks for the pics! I don't know if we'll get to the embroidery shop, but I'll be sure to mention it to Phuong. I fact, she'll probably read this entire thread. :thumbs:

effjaye, thanks for the recommendation!

So, has nobody been to Hoi An? I hear it's one of the most beautiful beach communities in Vietnam! It seems like most VJ members have SO's in the south or north, but few have SO's in the central area around Hue or Da Nang. :huh:

Also, what's the best way to get to Da Lat? Phuong was thinking about a tour at first, but I don't like living by somebody else's schedule, and I've heard those tour buses are often packed and uncomfortable. I was thinking about hiring a taxi, but I wasn't sure how that would work out since we're planning on staying in both towns for two days each. Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

In fact, we were thinking we could take a taxi from Hue to Hoi An, spend two nights in Hoi An, then take a taxi up to Da Nang (1/3 the distance back to Hue) and catch a flight to HCM, and then another taxi to Da Lat. Two nights in Da Lat, and then a taxi back to HCM for two more nights. While in HCM I'm going to pick up the guitar I ordered back in April. :D

We'll be traveling in a group of either 5 or 7, depending on whether Phuong's kids decide to go, so it would have to be a taxi van.

Kevin, it's good to see you hanging out! Thanks for the pics! I don't know if we'll get to the embroidery shop, but I'll be sure to mention it to Phuong. I fact, she'll probably read this entire thread. :thumbs:

effjaye, thanks for the recommendation!

So, has nobody been to Hoi An? I hear it's one of the most beautiful beach communities in Vietnam! It seems like most VJ members have SO's in the south or north, but few have SO's in the central area around Hue or Da Nang. :huh:

Also, what's the best way to get to Da Lat? Phuong was thinking about a tour at first, but I don't like living by somebody else's schedule, and I've heard those tour buses are often packed and uncomfortable. I was thinking about hiring a taxi, but I wasn't sure how that would work out since we're planning on staying in both towns for two days each. Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

In fact, we were thinking we could take a taxi from Hue to Hoi An, spend two nights in Hoi An, then take a taxi up to Da Nang (1/3 the distance back to Hue) and catch a flight to HCM, and then another taxi to Da Lat. Two nights in Da Lat, and then a taxi back to HCM for two more nights. While in HCM I'm going to pick up the guitar I ordered back in April. :D

We'll be traveling in a group of either 5 or 7, depending on whether Phuong's kids decide to go, so it would have to be a taxi van.

We hired a car and driver for the 3 days we spent there. It was really cheap (I thought). I think I paid $200 for it and it's a pretty good drive to Dalat from Vung Tau. I should get an answer about the hotels tomorrow so I'll shoot you a pm when I do.

Yeh, good to see you too. Gotta stick around now, met too many people on here!!

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Timeline
Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

when we went from Vinh Long to Can Tho, we hired a guy for 2 days, he was cheap and nice. but turns out when her cousin and sister with to the disco the night before they drank and danced with him. so he was thinking we would be in the same party mood. but Phi hates the disco:P but we did buy him a few drinks and he ate every meal with us. he was a nice guy, it was a good time.

also i am going to Vietnam from the 10th to 23rd i will be in HCMC from the 10th to 12th for her interview on the 12th. after that i have no idea where she will want to take me, but as long as i am with her i really dont care :P

LOVESIG3.jpg

Timeline
Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

when we went from Vinh Long to Can Tho, we hired a guy for 2 days, he was cheap and nice. but turns out when her cousin and sister with to the disco the night before they drank and danced with him. so he was thinking we would be in the same party mood. but Phi hates the disco:P but we did buy him a few drinks and he ate every meal with us. he was a nice guy, it was a good time.

also i am going to Vietnam from the 10th to 23rd i will be in HCMC from the 10th to 12th for her interview on the 12th. after that i have no idea where she will want to take me, but as long as i am with her i really dont care :P

I've hired a lot of taxis in Vietnam, and the driver almost always ate with us, but I've never hired one overnight before. Did you get a hotel room for him?

I enjoy VN beers, but Phuong is a tea totaller. She sometimes pours a little of my beer into a glass when she's the only girl in the group, just to sort of join in, but she never drinks more than a few sips. She does love music, but I doubt she'd enjoy a disco very much either. I know she doesn't dance, which is ok with me because I don't really dance either. On the other hand, I would really enjoy some live music!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.