JimVaPhuong

Going to Vietnam in August

23 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

when we went from Vinh Long to Can Tho, we hired a guy for 2 days, he was cheap and nice. but turns out when her cousin and sister with to the disco the night before they drank and danced with him. so he was thinking we would be in the same party mood. but Phi hates the disco:P but we did buy him a few drinks and he ate every meal with us. he was a nice guy, it was a good time.

also i am going to Vietnam from the 10th to 23rd i will be in HCMC from the 10th to 12th for her interview on the 12th. after that i have no idea where she will want to take me, but as long as i am with her i really dont care :P

I am glad you brought this up... Jim dont let the driver drink! We hired a driver for the day when we went to Thuys family home... As you know ..everyone in Vn is Brother.. so Brother driver was asked to eat with us (this caught me off guard but when in Vn do as Vn) and yes drink with the guys... I had brough a couple of bottles of CC and a few bottles of wine as well.... needless to say.. Thuys brother in law wanted to test my drinking skills and the driver wanted to prove his... I was leary of saying.. "hey dont give this guy anymore he has to drive us a few hundred Km later"... we actually had to wait to leave until he had a nap and even after that it was ify...

Its pretty easy to find someone willing to go on a trip with you as a driver... As Joseph said they wan to be part of the group when with you most of the time.... another time we hired a driver the guy slept in his car while we ran around... as long as he has a cell # you can call him when needed in Dalat... Thuy says she wants to spend a few days in Dalat when we go to HCMC for the interview... as a celebration or to relax before the inteview.. will hire someone for a few days to take us where ever...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Is it possible to hire a taxi for a one way trip of 300km?

when we went from Vinh Long to Can Tho, we hired a guy for 2 days, he was cheap and nice. but turns out when her cousin and sister with to the disco the night before they drank and danced with him. so he was thinking we would be in the same party mood. but Phi hates the disco:P but we did buy him a few drinks and he ate every meal with us. he was a nice guy, it was a good time.

also i am going to Vietnam from the 10th to 23rd i will be in HCMC from the 10th to 12th for her interview on the 12th. after that i have no idea where she will want to take me, but as long as i am with her i really dont care :P

I am glad you brought this up... Jim dont let the driver drink! We hired a driver for the day when we went to Thuys family home... As you know ..everyone in Vn is Brother.. so Brother driver was asked to eat with us (this caught me off guard but when in Vn do as Vn) and yes drink with the guys... I had brough a couple of bottles of CC and a few bottles of wine as well.... needless to say.. Thuys brother in law wanted to test my drinking skills and the driver wanted to prove his... I was leary of saying.. "hey dont give this guy anymore he has to drive us a few hundred Km later"... we actually had to wait to leave until he had a nap and even after that it was ify...

Its pretty easy to find someone willing to go on a trip with you as a driver... As Joseph said they wan to be part of the group when with you most of the time.... another time we hired a driver the guy slept in his car while we ran around... as long as he has a cell # you can call him when needed in Dalat... Thuy says she wants to spend a few days in Dalat when we go to HCMC for the interview... as a celebration or to relax before the inteview.. will hire someone for a few days to take us where ever...

yes agreed, dont let him drink and then drive far! it seems most men in VN love to drink. we didnt let him get too drunk. im from wisconsin so it wasnt that strange for me. everyone here drinks. we did get him a room but it was only about 20usd. the guy was a nice guy so i didnt have a problem with it.

when i 1st went out with Phi's parents they asked me how many beers i could drink, i was thinking in a day long time frame so i said oh about 10 then im good. well... they wanted me to prove it at dinner. it was hot and they went down good, but boy was that a mistake. about 2 hours later i was tanked and so was her dad and her mother didnt look too happy. but her dad seemed to enjoy it :P and phi was happy that her father liked me, hell so was I. so yeah dont let the family get you tanked either. oh and after dinner phi drove me home on her motorbike, that was a bit tough! I cant wait to go back! :D

LOVESIG3.jpg

Timeline

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Looks like we're going to be staying at the Indochine hotel in Hoi An.

http://www.hoianindochine.com/

Phuong is still waiting to hear from her friend in Da Lat, but she's leaning toward the Golf 3 recommended by Anh Map. :)

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
Thanks for the input, everyone!

Looks like we're going to be staying at the Indochine hotel in Hoi An.

http://www.hoianindochine.com/

Phuong is still waiting to hear from her friend in Da Lat, but she's leaning toward the Golf 3 recommended by Anh Map. :)

let me know how Golf was.. we may stay there when I go for interview.... $?

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Sorry Jim, but the girls there in Vung Tau have never answered me back. I read all the reviews on Golf too and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's right in the middle of the fun too :D Have a great trip!! If I was coming thru SFO this go-round, I'd stop and see you. Airfare to the Philippines is dirt cheap thru LAX though so I have to go south :( Be safe and have a blast!!

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Timeline
Sorry Jim, but the girls there in Vung Tau have never answered me back. I read all the reviews on Golf too and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's right in the middle of the fun too :D Have a great trip!! If I was coming thru SFO this go-round, I'd stop and see you. Airfare to the Philippines is dirt cheap thru LAX though so I have to go south :( Be safe and have a blast!!

No worries, Kevin! I like LAX. It's a good airport to travel through - just sucks to drive there from anywhere in SoCal cuz the freeways are jammed. :P

When are you going to the Phils?

I think we'll probably be checking out the scenery more than getting into any 'fun'. This is a vacation for both Phuong and I, and we'll both probably just want to relax. She goes back to work as a school teacher on the 20th, and she's already had a really busy summer, so I'm sure she's looking forward to some R&R. :thumbs:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

No worries, Kevin! I like LAX. It's a good airport to travel through - just sucks to drive there from anywhere in SoCal cuz the freeways are jammed. :P

When are you going to the Phils?

I think we'll probably be checking out the scenery more than getting into any 'fun'. This is a vacation for both Phuong and I, and we'll both probably just want to relax. She goes back to work as a school teacher on the 20th, and she's already had a really busy summer, so I'm sure she's looking forward to some R&R. :thumbs:

The area around the hotel there is filled with shops. There's a huge set of concrete stairs that connects one of the upper roads with the lower area. All of it will be filled with street vendors after dark and, just like every where in VN, they'll be selling everything!! It's a very relaxing town really. It's very busy yes, but not on the same level as Saigon or even Vung Tau for that matter. I think no matter what you do, you'll have a good time. Most of the sights to see are 15 minutes or so out of town. The waterfalls and parks are very "touristy" but beautiful none the less.

100_0201.jpg100_0224.jpg

100_0212.jpg100_0259.jpg

I just got ticketed yesterday. R/T LAX to MNL for $606 on China Air..wow!! I'm leaving the 11th of next month and coming back the 1st of September. Really getting excited to go (well minus the plane time)!! This should be more like the vacation I was hoping for my last trip. I won't be so dependent this go-round. She's flying to Manila to meet me there, we'll meet her brothers who live and work there, then fly on to Tacloban the following day. I have a nice room booked and it's an English speaking country so no matter what, this should be a blast :D

-USCIS-

COMPLETED - March 9th, 2010

-NVC-

CASE COMPLETE - April 2nd, 2010

-INTERVIEW-

APPROVED - May 18th, 2010

POE - Detroit, June 11th, 2010

GREEN CARD - July 21st, 2010

SS CARD - August 13th, 2010

-ROC-

I-751 Sent March 23rd, 2012

NOA1 March 26th, 2012

Biometrics Appt. April 27th, 2012

Bio done early - April 18th, 2012

ROC Approved - September 12, 2012

10 Year GC - September 17, 2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.