5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

I am a student and can´t meet the financial requirements for supporting my fiancee when we are married. I have a joint sponsor who can meet the requirements and has supporting documents from the bank and what not. I however have not yet gotten mine and we have the interview in 3 weeks. Are they really necessary for me to have since even with them there is no way my assets or income could show that I will be able to support my fiancee above the poverty line?

So my question is, Do I as a student who doesn´t make money, with a joint sponsor need to include documentation about income and assets as the primary sponsor?

Any help is appreciated.

Applied for K-1 visa - Feb 26, 2009

Recieved K-1 Visa - Aug 6, 2009

Married - Oct 23, 2009

Applied for AOS, i-485, i-765, & i-131 - Dec 6, 2009

i-765 & i-131 approved - Feb 1, 2010

I - 485 approved - Pending

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Yeah what you need the most for the interview in Peru is your last 3 years of income tax. If you are using a joint sponsor then you also need their last 3 years of income tax and if you need to include their assets, then you show proof of that.

For you, the last 3 years of income tax are required though.

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Yeah what you need the most for the interview in Peru is your last 3 years of income tax. If you are using a joint sponsor then you also need their last 3 years of income tax and if you need to include their assets, then you show proof of that.

the last three years are needed? I think on the paperwork she recieved to take to her interview it only says the last tax return, but it says it needs to be notarized. is that really necessary?

The Joint sponsor´s income is well above the poverty line, and they have sent assets, bank information, and proof of occupation from the employer with salary information. Is it then still necessary to have tax information?

And my question is that not making any money do I still need to have supporting documents to support that I don´t make any money?

Applied for K-1 visa - Feb 26, 2009

Recieved K-1 Visa - Aug 6, 2009

Married - Oct 23, 2009

Applied for AOS, i-485, i-765, & i-131 - Dec 6, 2009

i-765 & i-131 approved - Feb 1, 2010

I - 485 approved - Pending

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

moving to:

US Embassy and Consulate Discussion

You are almost there and now you have to deal with the embassy. This is the place to post your experiences or questions related to this last step before moving to the US. Topics relating to I-134's, packets sent from consulate and medical & police certificates should be posted here.

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

the last three years are needed? I think on the paperwork she recieved to take to her interview it only says the last tax return, but it says it needs to be notarized. is that really necessary?

The Joint sponsor´s income is well above the poverty line, and they have sent assets, bank information, and proof of occupation from the employer with salary information. Is it then still necessary to have tax information?

And my question is that not making any money do I still need to have supporting documents to support that I don´t make any money?

You have to provide whatever the consulate tells you that you have to provide. The determination as to whether there's a risk your fiancee will become a public charge is entirely in the consulate's hands, at this point. If they aren't satisfied, then your fiancee will not get a visa. It's really that simple.

If you didn't file a tax return last year, then they will usually want a letter from you (probably ask for it to be notarized) declaring why you were not required to file a return. Just state that you were a student and had no income, sign the letter in front of a notary, and have the notary stamp it. Done!

If they insist on a tax return from your co-sponsor, then you will have to provide a tax return, including W2's and 1099's. Again, it's their choice. You have to give them what they ask for, or you don't get a visa.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.