17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I'm a little confused by the medical examination requirements for K-3 visa holders adjusting their status. Do I need to pay for and undergo ANOTHER full examination?

The reason for my confusion is the difference between K-1 and K-3 visas. I see many posts saying that K-1 holders can do some kind of fast track / bypass using an I-693A supplementary form, which is right enough seeing as a K-1 holder has already had a medical before arriving in the US.

Can K-3 holders do this too? If so, where do I get the I-693A (and not the I-693) form?

Thanks in advance.

I got mine at the district office 'cause the surgeon didn't accept the one I downloaded from internet

LIFE IS WHAT WE MAKE IT (E. Dickinson)

PREFIERO SER CABEZA DE RATÓN QUE COLA DE LEÓN.

L'HOMME EST CE QU'IL SE FAIT (J.P. Sartre)

ON NE NAÎT PAS FEMME; ON LE DEVIENT (S. De Beauvoir)

ALEA IACTA EST (I. Caesar)

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do not need to get the form from anywhere.... the civil surgeon's have them.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

Ok brilliant. What I really need to know now, though, is whether it's a valid option for a K3.

I've only seen the I-693A mentioned as an option for K1. This seems strange, seeing as K3 applicants have the same medical as K1, before obtaining US entrance approval.

Can K3's submit an I-693A?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Sorry I can't answer your question because I was a K-1. Do the "instructions" for the AOS (Form I-485) on the USCIS website say anything about K-3's medicals?

Good luck with the process.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

I am K-1 but went with a friend who is K-3 get her medical last week... and call and find out if the surgeon has the form... mine didn't and neither did my friend's. Check the list of instructions posted by Captain Ewok... it helps a lot.... First topic on the AOS forum

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Timeline

Yes thanks all, I have read the guides, tips, visited USCIS website, done the google search etc etc etc!!

I can't seem to find a K3 holder who has been down this path, yet there must be many!

Help, a call to K3's who have adjusted their status successfully, did you need a full I-693 exam or did you find an I-693A was sufficient?

Many thanks!

But what did the USCIS website say, if I may ask?

Afortunado aquel

Who understands

Le langage secret

Das estrelas,

Der blumen

Et delle cose mute

Timeline
But what did the USCIS website say, if I may ask?

The USCIS website says everyone applying for AoS needs a medical. It makes no mention of I-693A and who can use it. See for example http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/Medical_Exam.htm#whohas

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I applied AOS from K3 and I submitted the I-693A with the application. But then I recieved an RFE for the whole medical eventhough my medical exam from Toronto was less than a year. So to avoid getting RFE just incase the officer who handles your case decided to ask for the whole medical do the whole thing. But it's up to you. You can just submit the I-693A vaccination supplement.

Ok brilliant. What I really need to know now, though, is whether it's a valid option for a K3.

I've only seen the I-693A mentioned as an option for K1. This seems strange, seeing as K3 applicants have the same medical as K1, before obtaining US entrance approval.

Can K3's submit an I-693A?

they are the same..

"Are all adjustment of status applicants required to have a medical examination?

Most applicants for adjustment of status are required to have a medical examination. The medical examination must be conducted by a civil surgeon who has been designated by the USCIS. The examination must be documented using Form I-693, Medical Examination of Aliens Seeking Adjustment of Status.

EXCEPTIONS:

2. Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

If your medical was done within the last one year you are only required to submit the vaccination supplement with I-485. I have heard people waiting and submitting it at the time of AOS interview, we sent my wife's with I-485.

K3, AOS

01-19-06 - Mailed I-129F to NBC

04-28-06 - Arrived in Los Angeles

12-11-06 - AOS Interview at Santa Ana, CA - Approved

12-22-06 - Received Green Card in the mail

Removing Conditions

09-15-08 - CSC received I-751

01-06-09 - Received Green Card in the mail

Citizenship

10-05-09 - Mailed N-400 to Phoenix

11-04-09 - Biometrics

01-12-10 - Interview at Santa Ana, CA - Approved

02-19-10 - Oath ceremony at Pomona, CA

03-11-10 - Received passport

Timeline
2. Ks: If you were admitted to the United States as a fiance(e) (K-1), child of a fiance(e) (K-2), Spouse of a U.S. citizen (K-3), or child of K-3 (K-4), and received a medical examination prior to admission, then you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. You will, however, be required to submit a vaccination supplement with our adjustment of status application. The vaccination supplement must be completed by a designated civil surgeon."

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/i-693faq.htm

That's great, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I hope the docs understand what they need to do for me, then, regarding filling out the vaccination supplement

I applied AOS from K3 and I submitted the I-693A with the application. But then I recieved an RFE for the whole medical eventhough my medical exam from Toronto was less than a year. So to avoid getting RFE just incase the officer who handles your case decided to ask for the whole medical do the whole thing. But it's up to you. You can just submit the I-693A vaccination supplement.

Based on rch99's post, and the USCIS faq, this should not have happened! What was the exact wording of the RFE?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You can get a list of civil surgeons on the USCIS website in your area. I am also a K3 and had my original exam in Canada in Feb. 2006. I called all the doctors on the list and they all knew what I was talking about and said they had the supplement form at their office. I told them I have all my vacination records from the board of health in my home town and they said that was fine, just bring it in and they will fill out the form. The cheapest I found was $75 to do this which is dumb but I'm going to get it done anyways.

I will be sending the supplement with my AOS application.

Hope that helps

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.