bonjur_mimi

K-1 visa expiration

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everybody,

thanks again for your support. I already posted about AOS earlier. My k-1 visa expires on 24th of August. So that means i need to get married plus get my AOS done? OR can i i get married until 24th of August and filel for AOS like three days before my visa expiration?

Thanks a lot :)

Filed: Timeline
K-1 visas expire on entry. Your I-94 (I guess this is what you say expires in august) is a different thing,

you had 90 days to get married once you entered the US. Did you do so?

I entered the U.S but didn't get married yet. our marriage date in August. My question is it still okay if i file for AOS three days before my I-194 expires?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hello everybody,

thanks again for your support. I already posted about AOS earlier. My k-1 visa expires on 24th of August. So that means i need to get married plus get my AOS done? OR can i i get married until 24th of August and filel for AOS like three days before my visa expiration?

Thanks a lot :)

It's your I-94 that expires August 24, not your visa. The visa is dead. You may file AOS anytime you like. There is no requirement to file it before the I-94 expires. However, you must marry within the 90 days or leave. Those are the terms of the visa. You can't file AOS until you have a marriage certificate and all other documents ready.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I entered US on 27th May & my I-94 expires on 25th August. We are getting married on 22nd August. WE left it late so that all our family & friends could make it to our wedding.

We will be filing AOS 24th August on condition we can get certified copies of our marriage certificate on that day. If not then we'll have to wait until we can get copies.

K1

5/16/08:Received NA01

2/24/09: NA02 APPROVAL... finally, after 9 MONTHS & 8 DAYS!!

5/5/09 : Interview Date APPROVED!!!!

5/8/09: visa received

From NA01 to interview: 12 LONG MONTHS!!

07/23/09: received SSN

08/17/09: Passed Driving test

08/22/09: Married on beautiful Mackinac Island, MI

AOS

08/31/09: Mailed AOS Package

10/20/09: Received AP

10/21/09 Received EAD card

12/7/09 AOS APPROVED!

12/14/09: Green Card arrived in mail. Happy Days!

It's taken 18 months from applying for K1 to receipt of Green Card! Thank God it's over until 12/7/11

Here we go again...

ROC

09/14/11: Mailed I-751 to Vermont

09/19/11: NA01

10/14/11: Biometrics

7/2/12: Approved. New Card Ordered

7/7/12: Green Card received

You would be getting married 2 days before your I-94 expires. In all seriousness, you are cutting it waaaay too close.

What would you do if something happens you don't get married before the 90 days.

2 days prior, say there is a major snowstorm (with all the global warming) :) and you can't make it to the place to get the certificate?

that is what Len mean I believe.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You would be getting married 2 days before your I-94 expires. In all seriousness, you are cutting it waaaay too close.

What would you do if something happens you don't get married before the 90 days.

2 days prior, say there is a major snowstorm (with all the global warming) :) and you can't make it to the place to get the certificate?

that is what Len mean I believe.

AOS need not be filed before the I-94 expires. Many file it months later with no problem. Only the legal marriage must occur before the 90 days is up. Even then, AOS can be filed concurrent with an I-130 and still be successful.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.